NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Default Always felt Ruth signed b/balls were kind of common and not very special

Posted By: E, Daniel

But this ball really stood out to me for its historical reference and charm.
If I'd had the money spare it would have been a nice piece to go after - light signature and all.

Anyone here bid on it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1920-Babe-Ruth-Signed-Home-Run-Baseball-Cuba-PSA-DNA_W0QQitemZ140116234023QQihZ004QQcategoryZ27260Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"

Old 05-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Default Always felt Ruth signed b/balls were kind of common and not very special

Posted By: Mike

Ruth signed balls are very special. Anything he signed was special. it's a funny thing with Ruth. Aside from being one of the top players in history, he also was known for his willingness to stop and spend hours with people, and many times large groups of children. So yes, based on pre war standards, his signature is relatively common. But bescause of his legacy, and his kindness towards his fans, the some what large number of signed balls, has no affect what so ever, on price. He is the only player in history, where large quantitys, do not result in lower prices for his signed balls. Or any other signed item for that matter. But you couldn't be more wrong, they are so very special.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I once got a Babe Ruth signed baseball from a man who had it in his possession since he was a boy in 1948. He was visiting an aunt in the hospital, and she told him that Ruth was a patient there too. The boy was told that he could meet him and went to his hospital room. When he got there, Ruth was in bed, and on a table next to him he had boxes stacked with baseballs. Even at the end of his life he was signing for anyone who asked. Great story.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Administrator

but when you see a half-dozen or more in every auction catalog, the visual experience is really diluted.......now having one in your own hands, doubtless that is a very special and personal experience. I just thought this ball told more than the regular story.

Daniel

Old 05-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

Ruth being Ruth, his single-signed balls, perhaps common compared to other HOF single-signed balls, will always be special and always in demand. Perhaps an apt analogy would be a '51 Bowman or '52 Topps Mantle baseball card. By any stretch, I hardly think they can be called rare. Yet, being the preeminent postwar card, they will never be cheap. And when a true condition rarity shows up, the sky seems to be the limit in how much it will sell for. Same too for Ruth single-signed balls, arguably the most popular single-signed ball to be had. And when a true blazer surfaces, the demand to have (one of) the best will ensure continued astronomical prices.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Ruth balls are very very liquid and probably change hands more than any other player. So we see them constantly. Yes it is partly because of the shear number of them, but also because of the quick cash that they can bring to a seller. So there is a steady stream of them. For me, legitimate Ruth balls are a thing of Beauty, and I never tire of seeing them.

Edited to add the web does not open for the ball you talk about

Old 05-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

I kind of agree that I have come to simply accept that every auction will have an "x" amount of Babe Ruth signed baseballs.

I remember some ten-twelve years ago, one of the first "pristine" Babe Ruth singles that hit the market and sold for $35,000+, but today, ones that closely resemble that appear in every catalog.

I honestly think the Babe is still signing somewhere and he's signing as good now as he did in the 1930's and 1940's.

DJ

Old 05-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe K.

The father of one of my daughter’s friends has a Ruth signed ball displayed in his living room curio. He doesn’t know the first thing about Ruth autographs or memorabilia and doesn’t own anything else even sports related. He showed it to me one day when our daughters were having a play date and told a very heart felt story about how he received the ball from a gentleman who he really went out of his way to help many years ago.

The gentleman was so appreciative of the help that the father had given him, that he gave the father the ball. Is a very nice story he tells and I truly believe the gentleman thought he was giving a genuine Ruth ball to the father. The father seemed so proud of the ball as he showed it to me and told the story. BUT the problem is the ball is clearly a fake signature. In fact it’s one of the worst signatures I have seen, maybe even done by a child. I didn’t have the heart to tell him it wasn’t real. He asked me what I thought and I just told him it was a wonderful ball.

Ruth signed balls are very special. Even for someone that just knows Ruth was a legend and knows little else about him...…even if the signature is fake. I hope this father never learns it’s not real.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Administrator

fixed the link if anyone wants to have a look...

And even though I'm taking a pounding opinion wise (), I'll still take an older 'more interesting' signed ball than a clean single signed Ruth.
But thats what makes it all work, there's room for all tastes.

Daniel

Old 05-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

The elegance of Ruth's signature somehow fits his immense talent. I only have one Ruth's signature. The snapshot below is much nicer in person, but unfortunately the pencil signature (presumably original, despite the "Babo" look to it) has been traced over in fountain pen.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Max, he looks like a walrus in that fur!

Daniel

Old 05-17-2007, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

There couldn't be a less trustworthy and unethical source than the one for the item in this auction. Perhaps that was a factor in the price staying so low compared to what an historically important ball like this would sell for, were it legit.

In fact, it probably only sold for as much as it did because people are comfortable with the current seller and PSA gave it the old thumbs-sort-of-angled-potentially up regarding authenticity, which I guess is better than nothing.

I wonder if PSA would consider slabbing any of those chunks from the Clemente crash?

-Ryan

Old 05-17-2007, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe

Perhaps the seller--a savvy, well-respected dealer--might explain why such a "once in a lifetime," historically significant baseball ends up for sale in a 7-day eBay auction rather than in a higher profile sales venue where it would command a higher price?

By the way, if the answer is, "that's what the consignor wanted," a further explanation as to how THAT best serves the consignor would be helpful.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

Actually, I asked the consignor if he wanted to put it into the Lelands-Gaynor monthly auction and he said ebay was fine, he "liked the action." The consignor is, after all, the boss.

I don't think that the source really had anything to do with it since only like 5 guys in the hobby know Yuyo (he was not the consignor). I will say however, that I have seen many unquestionably authentic pieces that have entered the hobby through Yuyo, but I can't speak to his character as I have never dealt with him.

Scott