NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-20-2017, 01:50 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Default Thinking about...

Contemplating selling off the program portion of my Jackie Collection.

Someone talk me out of it.

I have 220 Scored Dodgers Programs Most from Ebbets.

I have approx 100 un scored Away Games as well.

I am looking to trade for dodger stubs, or stubs from big games possibly.

What does everyone think?

Maybe focusing attention on to one thing will allow me to finish the set?
Old 02-20-2017, 02:05 PM
Dewey St. Germaine

Trying to complete sets of stubs and programs for a player like Robinson is a pretty tough double-double. Just my two cents but I would concentrate on one or the other but not both for exactly the reason you gave in your last sentence.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I think that you will find that you probably paid more as a collector than you will get as a dealer. Good luck. I collect Brooklyn Dodgers programs so if you want to shoot me a list with prices, I can take a look.

Jeff
Old 02-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
I think that you will find that you probably paid more as a collector than you will get as a dealer. Good luck. I collect Brooklyn Dodgers programs so if you want to shoot me a list with prices, I can take a look.

Jeff
I bought pretty smart (I think). Got lucky that I got a crap load from one guy all scored. So that helped.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey2007 View Post
Trying to complete sets of stubs and programs for a player like Robinson is a pretty tough double-double. Just my two cents but I would concentrate on one or the other but not both for exactly the reason you gave in your last sentence.
Yes I agree. It's a tough decision I am fighting with.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:35 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

How long have you been contemplating selling? You should give it at least a week. Then sell off a small group you could easily replace. After that see how you feel. Honestly having seen some of your other posts you seem a bit impulsive at times. I am the same way and it never works out well for me. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:44 PM
Dan Bretta

Unless you need the money put the scorecards away, just tuck them in a closet out of sight and forget about them. My guess is you'll regret getting rid of them if you do. Focus on the tickets for a while and when you get bored with that dig out your scorecards.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:45 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
How long have you been contemplating selling? You should give it at least a week. Then sell off a small group you could easily replace. After that see how you feel. Honestly having seen some of your other posts you seem a bit impulsive at times. I am the same way and it never works out well for me. Good luck.
I am DEF impulsive lol. It's just I don't share the same passion for the programs that I do with the stubs. It makes me buying them harder and harder. I used to pay over 100 for a 55 program, now I'm staying away which shows I am losing interest. I will wait a week and see.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:46 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Unless you need the money put the scorecards away, just tuck them in a closet out of sight and forget about them. My guess is you'll regret getting rid of them if you do. Focus on the tickets for a while and when you get bored with that dig out your scorecards.
Not a bad idea either. There's no harm in that.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:48 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
Not a bad idea either. There's no harm in that.
Yep, I have a few regrets along the way. Wish I'd never sold off my snapshot collection, but it is what it is.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:51 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Yep, I have a few regrets along the way. Wish I'd never sold off my snapshot collection, but it is what it is.
Yea, I started just his card run.... then his pins.... then programs and stubs....Then magazines and yearbooks....then snap shots and newspapers. HAHA

It gets pricey. I have some great pieces, but don't know if I need them all.

I have a bunch of old Ruth Magazines too that I started collecting recently.

I gotta stop hahaha.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:33 PM

Ticket stubs self identify their date, so I would think it would be easier -- relatively speaking -- to collect a specific range of those than programs, as it will be difficult to find scored versions to fill out EVERY game on your want list. Of course, it will still be hard to get all the stubs you want. That may be a factor if you have your heart set on completing the run.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:15 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

You seem like a nice guy so I will share this with you. I read your posts and I am thinking that you want to finish collecting a set of things quickly. Heres the thing, it takes a LOOOOOONG time to finsh collecting a set of anything like tickets or programs. I started collecting all of Mark McGwire's homerun tickets back in 1998. Guess what? I'm not done. I still need about 25 tickets. I know a guy collecting all Nolan Ryan games. He has been at it longer than me! Guess what? Not done. I know another guy collecting all Ripken's streak games. He's been at that longer than me. Guess what? Not finished, and he bought out a rivals collection not long ago. And all 3 of these collections are way more modern than the Jackie set you are looking to do. I'm not telling you not to do it. I'm just saying in this hobby there is no instant gratification. It all starts out well, but it slows up pretty quickly. Sometimes I go more than a year before I get a stub I need. Buckle up for the long haul if you are serious.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 02-20-2017, 06:40 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
Ticket stubs self identify their date, so I would think it would be easier -- relatively speaking -- to collect a specific range of those than programs, as it will be difficult to find scored versions to fill out EVERY game on your want list. Of course, it will still be hard to get all the stubs you want. That may be a factor if you have your heart set on completing the run.

Thanks. I agree. I may wait a week and see what happens but the programs (scored) seems a lot harder!
Old 02-20-2017, 06:41 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
You seem like a nice guy so I will share this with you. I read your posts and I am thinking that you want to finish collecting a set of things quickly. Heres the thing, it takes a LOOOOOONG time to finsh collecting a set of anything like tickets or programs. I started collecting all of Mark McGwire's homerun tickets back in 1998. Guess what? I'm not done. I still need about 25 tickets. I know a guy collecting all Nolan Ryan games. He has been at it longer than me! Guess what? Not done. I know another guy collecting all Ripken's streak games. He's been at that longer than me. Guess what? Not finished, and he bought out a rivals collection not long ago. And all 3 of these collections are way more modern than the Jackie set you are looking to do. I'm not telling you not to do it. I'm just saying in this hobby there is no instant gratification. It all starts out well, but it slows up pretty quickly. Sometimes I go more than a year before I get a stub I need. Buckle up for the long haul if you are serious.
Thanks I appreciate that! I'm not trying to complete it quickly, I just don't feel like I have the same passion for the programs as I do the stubs. Gonna give it some time before I make any decisions.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:47 PM

Also, it may be a fun -- albeit frustrating -- pursuit to try and get all of the programs or stubs on your list, but my advice is to not feel like individual items are not worth obtaining if you can't get them all. And while so much fun of collecting is the pursuit itself, do take the time to enjoy what you have. If you've purchased a lot of items in a short period of time, it's easy to forget to do that.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:16 AM
Shale Levine

Looking for Duke Snider home run stubs if you are selling any.