NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-28-2018, 10:46 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
I think they should move the close to tomorrow night 9 pm EST with a hard close at 11 pm EST and get things fully straightened out.

But the anxiety to wait another day lol
Old 10-28-2018, 10:48 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
I think they should move the close to tomorrow night 9 pm EST with a hard close at 11 pm EST and get things fully straightened out.
I'd cancel every bid from 11:30 EST on and keep it going until tomorrow -- ending at 11 pm.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:49 PM
Fred

Default Tapping out

I haven't been able to log-in in quite a while (system error, etc etc)...As far as i am concerned it ended at 12:00 No idea if any of my bids are still standing or not, i have been getting outbid notices so someone is able to bid, just not I.. I'm tapping out, i will find out if i won anything in the morning.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:56 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

This auction is like the energizer bunny.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:57 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I'd cancel every bid from 11:30 EST on and keep it going until tomorrow -- ending at 11 pm.
Ditto
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:58 PM
Jon Canfield

Just in....

"We thank all participants for their patience during tonight's server issues. We have been working tirelessly to address it with our service providers. This is an extenuating circumstance for which we greatly apologize.

Since our last e-mail, service to the site was interrupted and as a result we are extending the auction in accordance with section 25 of our Terms & Conditions to accommodate all bidders and consignors. This is a situation beyond our control.

We understand this is less than ideal for everyone, including us, but we are working to be fair to all bidders and consignors. We are in the final process of inputting bids with phone bidders and internet bidders alike. We are keeping the auction open until such time that access to site is consistent for a period of 15 minutes. THE EXACT ENDING TIME WILL BE UNKNOWN SO PLEASE DO NOT DELAY! The entire auction will close at once.

We encourage bidders to use Honest Auto Bid to avoid disappointment. That is the best way to ensure you are not locked out of the action."
Old 10-28-2018, 10:58 PM
Brian Dwyer

We thank all participants for their patience during tonight's server issues. We have been working tirelessly to address it with our service providers. This is an extenuating circumstance for which we greatly apologize.

Since our last e-mail, service to the site was interrupted and as a result we are extending the auction in accordance with section 25 of our Terms & Conditions to accommodate all bidders and consignors. This is a situation beyond our control.

We understand this is less than ideal for everyone, including us, but we are working to be fair to all bidders and consignors. We are in the final process of inputting bids with phone bidders and internet bidders alike. We are keeping the auction open until such time that access to site is consistent for a period of 15 minutes. THE EXACT ENDING TIME WILL BE UNKNOWN SO PLEASE DO NOT DELAY! The entire auction will close at once.

We encourage bidders to use Honest Auto Bid to avoid disappointment. That is the best way to ensure you are not locked out of the action.

More information will be communicated as it is available.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:59 PM
Chase

Frustrating for bidders and really unfortunate for consignors. Has anyone from the AH sent out an email since their last post here which indicated a 12:30 close? I am assuming the 12:30 close was picked under the presumption their server was working, which it seems it is not.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:00 PM
C.hris Bl.and

I am done. Still winning some things (I think) but I am not wasting any more time trying to figure out where I stand.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Eric
Eric

I know Brian and company are doing all they can but this royally sucks for anyone who can’t stay up all night on a Sunday night hoping servers work to babysit their bids. Just airing my frustrations. I realize it is multiple times more frustrating for REA.
Jason B.

Well I just got jacked for an extra $700 bucks because this auction didn't close when it was supposed to.

I understand the need to give everyone a fair chance to bid, but the site has been working intermittently. Anyone who really wanted to bid has had a chance to.

The Consigners have been fairly served. Now it's those of us with high protective bids out there who are exposed. We're the only ones taking any risk any longer.

Last edited by ZiggerZagger; 10-28-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:01 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
I am done. Still winning some things (I think) but I am not wasting any more time trying to figure out where I stand.
Likely right behind you Chris.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:02 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggerZagger View Post
Well I just got jacked for an extra $700 bucks because this auction didn't close when it was supposed to.

I understand the need to give everyone a fair chance to bid, but the site has been working intermittently. Anyone who really wanted to bid has had a chance to.

The Consigners have been fairly served. Now it's those of us with high protective bids out there who are exposed. We're the only ones taking any risk any longer.

Lots of truth here.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:03 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggerZagger View Post

Same here. I am a thousand bucks poorer because of that. Almost hope I get outbid.

N172 Old Judge Portraits

Old 10-28-2018, 11:06 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

A 5% reduction on the BP on the invoices might be a good idea.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:08 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
A 5% reduction on the BP on the invoices might be a good idea.
I was actually thinking the same thing Jeff. Solid idea.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:10 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Same here. I am a thousand bucks poorer because of that. Almost hope I get outbid.
+1.... except for the part about hoping to be outbid.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:12 PM
D@ve Se@born

Default Ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacktrack View Post
THE AUCTION WILL END PRIOR TO MIDNIGHT TO AVOID A CRUSH OF TRAFFIC. THE EXACT TIME WILL BE UNKNOWN SO PLEASE DO NOT DELAY ONCE THE FAIR WARNING E-MAIL IS RECEIVED!

The entire auction will close at once. It will not continue beyond Midnight EST under any circumstances!
I wish this was true. Lost $600 on a vulture trying to snipe well after midnight. I understand that this is frustrating for everyone involved, including REA to be sure but I concur that everyone has had an amble chance to bid. We had two weeks to set up bids, then postings saying 'don;t wait until the end', then 2+ overtimes. Apparently many people did wait until the end, and that created capacity issues. Have to get up in a few hours, not sure what else to say except it sure is disappointing.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:12 PM
Eric
Eric

It has been 15 minutes since the last email and servers seem to be working. Let’s close this thing!
Old 10-28-2018, 11:13 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOriole View Post
I wish this was true. Lost $600 on a vulture trying to snipe well after midnight. I understand that this is frustrating for everyone involved, including REA to be sure but I concur that everyone has had an amble chance to bid. We had two weeks to set up bids, then postings saying 'don;t wait until the end', then 2+ overtimes. Apparently many people did wait until the end, and that created capacity issues. Have to get up in a few hours, not sure what else to say except it sure is disappointing.
Very well said.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:14 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Oh, I thought it was THIS 12:30AM

I'll check back much, much later...some of us still operate on some sleep.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-28-2018, 11:16 PM
C.hris Bl.and

The latest email allows for the auction to be kept open as long as it takes to make sure consignors are satisfied.

N172 Old Judge Portraits

Old 10-28-2018, 11:19 PM
D@ve Se@born

Default Tightrope

Quote:
The latest email allows for the auction to be kept open as long as it takes to make sure consignors are satisfied.
There's a balance between keeping both consignors and bidders happy....right now it's a tightrope.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:21 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
There's a balance between keeping both consignors and bidders happy....right now it's a tightrope.
Would be easier to accept if they hadn’t extended it twice already and said the auction was closing 50 minutes ago.

N172 Old Judge Portraits

Old 10-28-2018, 11:22 PM
Todd Schultz

Still not working and utter bullshit.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:24 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Still not working and utter bullshit.
There has been extremely ample time to get bids in. Bidders getting the short end for sure.
D@ve Se@born

Default right

Quote:
Would be easier to accept if they hadn’t extended it twice already and said the auction was closing 50 minutes ago.
Amen.
Jamie

As a consignor i am not happy... i am trying to get to the landing pages for my items and the page wont load... if i cant get there how are bidders supposed to get there???
Old 10-28-2018, 11:28 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunder19 View Post
As a consignor i am not happy... i am trying to get to the landing pages for my items and the page wont load... if i cant get there how are bidders supposed to get there???
I understand your frustration but there has been a LOT of time to get there.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:30 PM
Jason B.

Quote:

I actually have a lot of sympathy for Brian and the folks at REA. This wasn't in the plans, and I'm sure they've struggled to come up with anything that seemed remotely fair on the fly.

Sadly, in trying to keep the Consignors happy, it's allowed the auction to take it to a whole new zone of increasing bids that would have never materialized otherwise. They've got a huge challenge in trying to make this right over the next week or so.

Cosigners are going to want full price. Buyers aren't going to want to pay extra money they unfairly accrued in overtime (It will not continue beyond Midnight EST under any circumstances...)
There's only one other pot of funds out there -- the Buyer's Premiums from the Auction House tasked to put on a functioning auction.

Someone is going to have to eat this, and it's very unfortunate.

_
Old 10-28-2018, 11:31 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdnwLzrYe9c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdnwLzrYe9c
Old 10-28-2018, 11:33 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
I understand your frustration but there has been a LOT of time to get there.
B.S. It's been spotty for hours. If I win the couple I was leading I sure hope my servers are working when it's time to write my check.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:33 PM
Jon Canfield

And its over...
Old 10-28-2018, 11:34 PM
Sean Costello

It just closed, and I won my item, so I guess I shouldn't complain about that last snipe.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:35 PM
C.hris Bl.and

I feel bad for REA but once they had to bounce the servers they never should have considered closing tonight.

N172 Old Judge Portraits

Old 10-28-2018, 11:38 PM
Jamie

Very disappointing with my item's ending price. Extremely disappointed in REA.

they have 2 nights a year to "get it right"... i can let you know it effected my bidding... my frustration caused me to shy away from items i was interested in purchasing leading up to this evening.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:49 PM
Chase

No doubt this had to be frustrating to the AH. Per their own rules, which they even referred to in their last post, it seems that once they determined the servers were not going to cooperate the best thing would have been to postpone the close until it could close properly. By dragging it out and nobody knowing when or if it was going to close buyers may have had to pay more and frustrated buyers who stopped trying to bid only hurt the consignors' end results.

Poorly played to try to squeeze it in just because it was supposed to end tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rea25.jpg (26.7 KB, 459 views)
Old 10-28-2018, 11:52 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Not a win for either side...

Bidders feel like they should have won at the announced time, given how difficult it was sign in and bid for the vast majority of the bidders leading up to that time this doesn’t seem really fair and things were cheaper than they would have been at that time (and they know that)

Consigners unhappy because how many people simply gave up out of sheer frustration (I pretty much did as a bidder) which theoretically results in a lower price.

No win, honestly not sure what a solution should have been.

In the past an auction house extended to the next day once they realized they were having server issues, which wasn’t popular but may have been the solution to make. One would need to make that call much earlier if they went that route.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 10-28-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:56 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Looking at the results there were some really high selling prices and a few bargains, just like every auction. Today was unfortunate, but I think Brian, Dean and the guys should be commended for assembling a great auction.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:24 AM

Default Rea

I consigned a very large signed card collection, and I’m obviously disappointed by the technical issues, but I know Brian did everything he could to resolve the situation fairly. Did I lose some bids because of the issues? Certainly, but the prices were very strong and if you’d told me going in what I would end up with I would have taken it in a second. I also won a nice Babe Ruth signed baseball at a great price, so I feel like I came out well as a buyer and a seller. I’m sure these issues will be resolved by the next auction and I’d recommend REA to anyone looking to sell.

Jason
Old 10-29-2018, 12:34 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I was fortunate enough to miss most of the technical issues...but only won one of my three items...but only because I held fast to my limit on the two I missed. The one I did win has been a white whale to me for awhile.

Bravo to Brian for putting on a good show. As much heck as we tend to lay on him, we should also appreciate the effort.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-29-2018, 12:37 AM

Couldn't get in for the last hour or so except toward the last half hour...and then got locked out again until it was way over...really frustrating...ended up losing them all...including one item I really wanted due to last minute bid.....oh well... at least the Dodgers Lost.

Ricky Y
Old 10-29-2018, 04:13 AM

I could not be more upset with this auction and the way it went, it may be time for a hiatus.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:22 AM
Dave_Berg

Botched ending cost me a high dollar whale... and the consignor a lot of cash.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:03 AM
Chuck Price

Won some cards that I couldn’t believe my bids held up. Not good for the consignor I guess. Actually I was hoping to get out bid on a few pieces.

Drum Daddy, "10 Drum's and counting"
Green Cobb’s, “7 and counting “
Red Cobb’s, “12 and counting”
Working on my Ruth, Cobb, Joe Jackson, Gehrig, Wagner, Mantle collection
Old 10-29-2018, 06:12 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Botched ending cost me a high dollar whale... and the consignor a lot of cash.
which card
Old 10-29-2018, 06:17 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
which card
The 54 Mantle Stahl Meyer. My last bid was at 1137. My bid was high at midnight. Never got an outbid text. Would have gone several thousand higher. Had no idea auction was again extended. Oh well. Should I have used autobid- in retrospect yes...but I didnt know I was participating in a flawed system. Text alerts set up with HA. No worries, it happens.

Last edited by Stonepony; 10-29-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:33 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Like most, I encountered some bidding issues, and like some, I lost out on a white whale. But I didn't lose the card because of the bidding issues. I lost because some schmo wanted it more than I did and put in a higher bid. I figure I had the better part of a month to put in a crazy high bid with a high probability of winning, but I didn't. It was my bad.

I know the technical issues suck, but personally, I think Brian and team made the right adjustments given the circumstances.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 10-29-2018 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:47 AM

I rarely agree with a Wolverine, but I totally agree with you here Sam.

+1
Old 10-29-2018, 06:51 AM
Tony Conte

I also agree Brian and his team did his best and wouldn't think twice to
consign again with him. It was a tough night for sure and Brian handled
it professionally.