NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Questions

Posted By: stuart

New guy here and was hoping for some help. I recently decided to attempt a prewar set. I wanted to pick a set that i have a financial chance of completing. I decided on the T202 Hassans, as i've always liked the look of these cards. I've only collected 50's and 60's Topps cards before so i realize this will be a slow journey. I like the look of the card in a SGC holder but cannot afford anything much higher than SGC 40. I don't like creases and off-center cards. With this in mind I would appreciate some help with a few questions.

Would it be better to buy raw and get graded as opposed to buying graded? If buying raw can i expect a lot of trimmed cards?

Most of the ones i see graded on ebay are BIN's that are over the VCP. Will i be able to find many in SGC 40 at shows? I've been to a few of the big shows looking for 52 Topps in PSA 4 and the selection is usually very small, most only have cards in PSA 7 and up. Can i expect this with the T202's or are they more available in lower grade at shows?

I'm sure i will have more questions than this board has patience, but i will start with these and see how it goes.

Thanks,
Stuart

Old 01-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Questions

Posted By: Jason L

but vintage tobacco is certainly different from post-war graded populations, in that the vast bulk of graded pre-war you will see is more likely to be in the VG-EX range. You shouldn't need to worry that targeting graded-only material will result in you only finding 7s!

Personally, I am not terribly astute at detecting trimming, etc, so I also target graded cards for more confidence that I am purchasing unaltered material.

Good luck with the search!

Old 01-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Questions

Posted By: andy becker

on t202's i would buy raw. they are not the easiest cards to trim.

good luck. it's a fun ride happy.gif

Old 01-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Questions

Posted By: William Brumbach

It might make some people cringe but I read once where one way to detect if a T202 had been trimmed on the sides was to fold the side panels inward. I actually did that on mine and the seams between the panels are pretty sturdy, I never had any break on me. The ends should meet or come close, any gaps would indicate possible trimming. I also had one I bought raw back in 2000/2001 that had one of the panels expertly glued back on to the center panel. I had to hold the card up to a light to see the work that had been done. They are a neat set and one of these days I might give it another go.