NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-23-2006, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Default OT- But wanted to say thanks

Posted By: EcardCollector

Compared to many on this forum i am relatively new to vintage card collecting. However since taking the torch i've spent atleast a couple hours everyday reading, learning, and bidding on nothing but pre-war. Prior to that I enjoyed collecting cards casually of all different makes, years, and really had no favorites. I've made the decision and have started to liquidate virtually all my 1960(much of which is past 5 years) and above cards to make funds avalable for my vintage baseball collection. In the couple months i've picked up dozens of E and T cards and several HOF's, tremendously satisfying start! Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys who have shown me the light! I dont know if i would have ever taken to it as i have, or known about all the scarce sets and different backs, error cards, etc. that make this hobby so fascinating and fun. hmm a rare E card or a 5 color patch, lol, tough one! Now if I can just buy up everything before everyone else collecting sports cards figures this out! Thanks especially to warshawlaw, Judge Dred, Jeff Lichtman, jay behrens, T206Collector, cmoking, BcD, JK, Leon, Ted Zanidakis, Hal Lewis, JimB, barry arnold, and ofcourse barrysloate. I find many of your guy's posts informative, keep it up and thanks again!
-Dylan

Old 11-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott

Thank you to everyone. I too have begun putting together a set of E cards.

Ted - I have a few specific questions for you. Could you e-mail me at scottg@accessmfgsys.com and give me your e-mail so I can ask them? I'll be in the office for a few more hours today, then back on Monday the 27th.

Thanks,
Scott.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: whitehse

Gotta agree that the posts here have made me more informed on pre war stuff. I have collected for 30+ years and had numerous prewar cards but sold the whole collection off a few times. Now I am just trying to decide what to collect and when the time comes and my money frees up I will have a clear direction.

With a kid in college I dont see my money freeing up for another 3 years or so. I should know by them what I want to collect!!

Old 11-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

It absolutely thrills this old professor to hear you speak of taking 2 hours a day READING AND LEARNING about vintage cards!
It's great seeing the formation of a true Vintage Scholar.

Thank you for your kind words.

all the best,

Barry

Old 11-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Please gentlemen, be aware that prior to e-cards being popular, they were unpopular. And there is good reason for that.

This recent phenomenon was preceeded by decades of card collecting history in which if you wanted an inexpensive example of a player, one source was e-cards. IMHO there is every reason to believe that this hobby will return to that normalcy.

Old 11-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Goldner

An interesting viewpoint Gil, but i can't say that i entirely agree with your assessment.

Granted, in past generations, early candy cards did not command the premium prices that they do today, but grading services, population reports, a new generation of affluent collectors, and technology have markedly changed the landscape of vintage collecting.

Though the pop reports are far from perfect, when used as a guide, collectors now have a better idea in general, of what cards may or may not be a bit more difficult to find.

That being said, i don't wish to convey that the potential for price escalation of E-cards, is limitless.

Quite the contrary, as at some point, that portion of the market is bound to level off, but not to the degree where there will be a return to their relative obscurity, of many years ago.

Old 11-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Gil,
I hope it happens soon so I could buy some more at low prices. I think those days are over. Caramel cards are not the only ones that have come to collectors attentions in recent years. I remember only five years ago or so buying a group of D304s in vg/ex for $75 each. I sold them last year for $1600 each. I think forums like this and widespread access to information about a broad range of early cards has helped to raise both their visibility and desireability among vintage collectors. Relative to their scarcity and appeal, I think many E cards are still undervalued. Just one man's opinion, but I am sticking to it.
JimB

Old 11-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I agree completely. As I have said before I believe the market/hobby is too deep with well heeled collectors for their to be a tumbling. I think it does have to stabilize and already has in the mid tier and lower ranges. The top tier material is still rising, which is amazing....

Old 11-25-2006, 02:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

And there you have it gentlemen. This four person microcosim is representative of the consensus of this board, as I understand it. That is, most feel favorably about the continued good performance with e-cards.

A thorough and careful study of this subject is sure to lead to a conclusion based on the absence of reliable fact. But my recommendation is to purchase whatever pleases you most, because the greatest liklihood for the future is that all choices are good. And I know dang well what the economic forcast for this country was in early 1929.

Old 11-25-2006, 03:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: EcardCollector

One word- Internet. Its changed the marketplace more then anyother single factor. Now information is at everyones fingertips about those scarce rarities making them all the more desirable. Considering the scarcity of many of the Ecard sets in comparison to their tobacco cousins I think many Ecards are undervalued and have vast potential for the future. Just my two cents though...

Old 11-25-2006, 03:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T E

These days, I am just a seller, not a buyer. I hope someday to return to buying mode. In any event, this is such a fabulous resource, I just want to chime in and say thanks, as well.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Dylan,

I feel the same way you do, this board is an invaluable resource. 90% of the information I probably couldn't find anywhere else. 10% of the information, I wish I never knew. Laugh out loud.

Peter

Old 11-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Billy Stair

I really enjoy the hobby insight and knowledge of many here and I have learned more about pre-war issues than I ever thought possible, but PLEASE lets get back to cards and the hobby and stop all the hate and bickering, I am having flash back to Beckett boards!!!

Thanks to those knowledgeable members that freely share their information.

Bill Stair