NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Default November pickup

This will wreak havoc with my Top 50 display, but I just picked up this beautiful (ignoring condition) card of Sadaharu Oh!

oh.JPG

Besides the picture looking like a work of art to me, 1964 was also Oh's big breakout season where he set the Japanese BB single season homerun record (since eclipsed) and won the first of his 9 MVP awards.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 11-12-2014, 03:36 PM
Matt

That's a stunning baseball card. Amazing color.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:01 PM

Yep, never seen that Oh card before. Beautiful!

Killer Mantle, Matt!
Old 11-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

The back of the Sadaharu Oh is a bit underwhelming! The Japanese writing simply says, "OUT!"

I'm assuming the cards doubled as a game, similar to how my friends and I used to play baseball with the Topps 1978 "Play Ball (Played by Two) cardbacks. most memorable to me for the Tony Armas UER featuring the outcome of STRIKE UT. (And ten points to anyone who from memory can name a player with an outcome of HOME RUN! I can't anymore, though Bobby Grich is in my head.)

oh_back.jpg armas.JPG

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 11-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

This Oh card is a bit more beat up than mine and not as vintage, but it's an awfully cool picture too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sadaharu-Oh-...item27e7e331c9

First off, gotta love the ball just coming off the bat...and then, what's that? Did the sun just explode in the background?

Old 11-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Jason, great looking Oh card.

I found a great ebay seller with these three 58 All-stars listed. Way able to work out a package price for all three. Some diamond cut/tilt to them but the color is just fantastic. I am now 2/3 complete on the subset.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:07 PM
Curt

I want to say Warren Brustar was a HR, but I could be wrong. 78 was my first packs and remember them fondly, including the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
(And ten points to anyone who from memory can name a player with an outcome of HOME RUN! I can't anymore, though Bobby Grich is in my head.)
Old 11-14-2014, 07:05 AM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

AustinMike some nice Mantle pickups. Post Mantle rocks the house! Congrats!

Bill some nice 75's you picked up. Those 8's look very strong and the raw pickups look great as well. How far along are you with this set? I know you recently started it.

Here are some mid-grade Mantles that I was very happy to add this month.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Matt

Wow -- so much action here don't know where to begin. Let's start with the last. Those Mantles are EXACTLY what I am after these days. I'm floored by those three. They each have the best centering I've ever laid eyes on for those years. If I owned those cards I wouldn't need to buy them in a higher grade ever. Did you find them raw and self sub, in one lot, over years?

Many thanks for the props from you fellas on the new Mick. A centered 52 Mick is simply my favorite card in the world. Stings like hell to be selling cards to make it happen-- but one look at the centered 52 and it makes it okay. Not great, buy okay, LOL.

The 71 Greatest Moments is one of the more interesting (and tough) sets around, and anything having to do with a pack of those is wild.

The Newton has great style and I'd be curious to see the whole set. What a title: LEADERS OF MEN. That's baller, to make that set!

Stache, you are killing it on the selections for your 75 Set. That's the kind of curation that makes the sum much greater than the parts. As someone who spent six years building only a set of 75s (minis), I really appreciate the specimens you are choosing. Bold color, clean surfaces, centered, that set is gonna look insane when it is all together.

Last edited by MattyC; 11-14-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:20 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
This will wreak havoc with my Top 50 display, but I just picked up this beautiful (ignoring condition) card of Sadaharu Oh!

Attachment 167680

Besides the picture looking like a work of art to me, 1964 was also Oh's big breakout season where he set the Japanese BB single season homerun record (since eclipsed) and won the first of his 9 MVP awards.
Oh my!! Nice pickup with Sadaharu Oh. Where did you find it?