NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-05-2018, 09:42 AM
Barry Sloate

I'm not sure that even a major scandal would have an effect, because there is too much money at stake. Plus, in our post-truth world, if a label says it's NR MT, and I say it's NR MT, then we all will accept the fact that it's NR MT. People with millions of dollars invested in cards will call a scandal fake news and simply ignore it.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:48 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
If and when the time comes that somebody does a nationally distributed expose on the tremendous number of graded altered cards, perhaps things might change. It would not be too hard to show the alterations -- simple comparison blowups of edges and corners of alerted versus unaltered cards is all that would be needed in most cases.

I recognize I might be old school, but it still blows my mind to see blatantly altered high grade condition rarities sell for crazy prices.

Is it possible that this new generation of collectors/investors might care if they really understood what is going on?
People seem far more interested in excess shipping charges than card alteration.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:25 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

With regard to the OP, there are some collectors who think it is more fun to own a card that a famous person or a hobby pioneer once owned. Whether it translates into a premium remains to be seen. I know that I would definitely ask a premium for my Burdick-stamped E80 Jack Johnson card.

It also might be fun to create my own 'brand' for my cards. If the TPGs allowed that I might go for it. Sure as hell would be one way to show whose collection they are from.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-05-2018, 12:49 PM
Chase

With respect to the original topic I certainly place no additional value on provenance on the label. I would pay, and have paid, a premium for a nice example of a card but would not pay a premium because it happened to be owned by someone.