NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-11-2018, 10:30 AM
Christopher Williams

Default OT: EBay Reps Meet With Dealers/Sellers At 2018 National

From Rich Mueller, the editor of Sports Collectors Daily:

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...alers-at-nscc/

And my follow-up thread:

https://live.autographmagazine.com/p...018-national-c
Old 08-11-2018, 10:37 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Great thread Chris. EBAY's concern for the customer and authenticity is a sham indeed.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:42 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Great thread Chris. EBAY's concern for the customer and authenticity is a sham indeed.
Thank you, Mike.

In my opinion, Ebay is the primary enabler of the "Florida" forgeries.

It's amazing that Ebay can lie with a straight face when they say "Authentication at eBay in general, and not just this category, is near and dear to our hearts,” she said. “It’s a huge priority for us.”

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 08-11-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:47 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

That guy from eBay comes off as a clown in search of a circus.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:14 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
That guy from eBay comes off as a clown in search of a circus.
That's funny, Tom!!!
Old 08-11-2018, 11:20 AM
Manny
Banned

You guys are wasting your time. Trying to stop the forgers is a never ending game of whack-a-mole. They just pop up again with a different account and a different COA.

The real solution is for people to stop buying their goods. They're in business because there is demand for what they sell. Once people become aware that 90% of autographs are fake, demand will drop, and they'll be out of business.

The only real way to get the forgers to disappear is for buyers to become educated on the signatures they buy and to be more skeptical.

Let's face it, most experienced collectors on this forum will never buy one of those shady autographs. It's only novices that buy them.

I've never seen a marketing campaign aimed at increasing awareness of forgeries. Very few autograph buyers even know forums like this exist. Why is that?

It's like the war on drugs. Everyone knows it's pointless to try to stop the supply. Look how that's worked out in the real world. Stop one druglord, and the next one is waiting to take his place. The real way to stop the drug cartels is for people to stop doing drugs. You stop the problem by shutting off the demand, not trying to stop the supply. If someone is willing to die to sell a bag of drugs, there isn't much of a deterrent that can stop them.

Last edited by SetBuilder; 08-11-2018 at 11:20 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-11-2018, 02:02 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
You guys are wasting your time. Trying to stop the forgers is a never ending game of whack-a-mole. They just pop up again with a different account and a different COA.

The real solution is for people to stop buying their goods. They're in business because there is demand for what they sell. Once people become aware that 90% of autographs are fake, demand will drop, and they'll be out of business.

The only real way to get the forgers to disappear is for buyers to become educated on the signatures they buy and to be more skeptical.

Let's face it, most experienced collectors on this forum will never buy one of those shady autographs. It's only novices that buy them.

I've never seen a marketing campaign aimed at increasing awareness of forgeries. Very few autograph buyers even know forums like this exist. Why is that?

It's like the war on drugs. Everyone knows it's pointless to try to stop the supply. Look how that's worked out in the real world. Stop one druglord, and the next one is waiting to take his place. The real way to stop the drug cartels is for people to stop doing drugs. You stop the problem by shutting off the demand, not trying to stop the supply. If someone is willing to die to sell a bag of drugs, there isn't much of a deterrent that can stop them.
Nancy Reagan said "Just say no." How's that working out?
Aside from forums like this what can be done to stop people from buying forgeries?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-11-2018, 04:20 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Nancy Reagan said "Just say no." How's that working out?
Aside from forums like this what can be done to stop people from buying forgeries?

Forums like this are probably the best chance. And being successful at squashing this stuff is probably not going to happen.

Education about what someone collects is the key, and places like this are probably the best place to get it for most of us. I'm sort of interested, and have a few autographs I feel confident in, but all fairly cheap stuff. I test myself against the questions here, and on some of the more popular ones I'm only at maybe 50% after a few years. Not good enough for me to spend real money on.

A serious reduction in demand overall wouldn't be good for anyone, (except may be me since everything would be cheap) That's why there's no marketing campaign.
Imagine a tv ad starting out showing a bunch of nice looking autographed items, while the voiceover says " Autographs, they can be really great, and display well. They're a nice personal connection to the player in some ways... but you know what? All the nice looking stuff we've just shown along with nearly every autograph you'll see is complete rubbish! Just look at them, they're awful. Displaying them is basically displaying you're stupidity and gullibility, why would you do that.... spend a few years learning stuff before you buy pretty junk, please?"

Yeah, that would go over well...…
Old 08-11-2018, 04:22 PM
Steve Birmingham

Now a public service announcement like this one.... That might just work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ksjdH3z_KU
Old 08-11-2018, 06:19 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post

I've been exposing forgeries and sellers of forgeries for a long, long time and I would like to think that I've made a small impact on the forgery industry, and at times I have asked myself "Why do I continue to do this?"

And I always come up with the same reply which is "I simply cannot just sit on the sidelines and do nothing."

There are a few people in the hobby (Richard Simon, Shelly, Steve Z., Terrier, Steve Cyrkin and others) who have stuck their necks out exposing the bad guys.

And at considerable risk to us.

I have literally written over a thousand threads/blogs on the forgery industry.

The majority of them have been directed at Coach's Corner (Scott Malack and Lee Trythall), Chris "I Never Saw An Autograph I Didn't Like" Morales, Ted Taylor (who I have deep, deep disdain for), Drew Max, Stephen Rocchi (Guaranteed Forensic Authenticators), the old GAI and others.

It is "my time that I am wasting," not yours.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:30 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Chris, do you mean the new GAI? I thought Global was respectable at first, then sold their souls like Ted Taylor later on. Or is there some newer incarnation of GAI that I'm unaware of?

And shouldn't Justin Priddy/ACE be on your list, or is he small potatoes?

Ken
Old 08-12-2018, 01:59 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Chris, do you mean the new GAI? I thought Global was respectable at first, then sold their souls like Ted Taylor later on. Or is there some newer incarnation of GAI that I'm unaware of?

Ken
GAI originally was good, then went downhill. They even split into two different GAIs, but that may have just been for cards.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:56 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post

Ken
Ken, I was referring to the old GAI when they "authenticated" thousands of Mantle, Williams, DiMaggio, Koufax, Mays, etc. forgeries in an attempt to avoid bankruptcy.

Those forgeries were also the "Florida" forgeries.

I have also exposed the garbage that GA "authenticated."

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 08-12-2018 at 06:22 AM.