NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Ebay BINs

What's the perceived etiquette on making offers to guys with BINs on Ebay? If I remember right, it's against the rules, but I'm sure people do it. There's a card I've been interested in for quite some time, but it's always relisted at the same price, about 15% too high. You would think if it didn't sell in six months, the guy might drop the price, but it hasn't happened. Would you send him a note to nudge him along?

Thanks!
Geno
Old 06-30-2013, 06:56 PM

I don't think making offers is against the rules...but offering to deal off of eBay is against the rules. Some sellers don't care, but most medium- to high-volume sellers won't entertain such offers because they don't want eBay to ding them.

If I were you, I'd just drop him a note that says if he dropped the price on eBay to such and such a price, you'd hit the BIN immediately. Only risk for you is that you don't hit it in time and someone else gets it. No risk to the seller if he's willing to part with the card at that price.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Steve Birmingham

If he's got the "make offer" option, making an offer is fine. Some sellers like their stuff a bit too much and get cranky with lowball offers, but I'd think 10-15% less is reasonable.

I think offers on BIN items without the make an offer feature turned on are maybe a bit of a gray area, but I don't think it's that far over the line to ask.

Now making offers on current running auctions is totally different. Others feel differently. (And please lets not make this one of those threads)

Steve B
Old 06-30-2013, 07:07 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default BIN's

I agree with Steve. I have found if your interested in a card and their is no make an offer option, you better get in touch with them and make sure. I have lost many items by not asking the question and someone else does.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Offers

Just to clear up the question, I'm only talking about BINs when there is no "make an offer." If it was just posted, I can see where the guy would want to let it ride a bit. But after months of not moving at the same price, it seems like they need a push...

Take Care,
Geno
Old 06-30-2013, 07:45 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Steve
Old 06-30-2013, 09:36 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I have no problem getting offers on cards in my store that do not have best offer on them, and I accept lots of them. To be honest having best offer can be a real pain as its open season for silly offers.

If you know the seller is a member here or another forum then just send them a email/message offer then if interested they can get you the best price and save a little cash too.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Sean Costello

I have occasionally made offers without a BIN. None of the sellers seemed offended, and they usually accept or counter-offer.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:11 PM
J@son Du.nc@n

I get rediculous offers daily. I sell the majority of my stuff for 85-100% of my asking price. If I know it is a member from the boards or repeat customer I will pass along the savings of fees to them doing a private deal with PP gift or check. Sometimes this resluts in 20%+ off an item. I usually do not budge unless the purchase is $100+. Then 10-15% off is typical depending on the amount spent. I try to price items around VCP average with a 15% or so "buffer" because in theis market everyone wants to make offers. Now on some tougher items or $30 and less most collectors just buy the item and move forward. Sometimes if they do this on multiples I just surprise them on the invoice with free shipping. I may also ask if they need any other store items and offer 10% off anything additional or 15% off privately.

Jason
Old 06-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Jake

I just did this the other day, not a card. Sent him an offer, and received a counter. He changed the BIN to the counter and wrote on the listing title that the lot was already reserved and he wouldn't sell to anyone else.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 06-30-2013, 10:52 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
I just did this the other day, not a card. Sent him an offer, and received a counter. He changed the BIN to the counter and wrote on the listing title that the lot was already reserved and he wouldn't sell to anyone else.
That's a conscientious seller there. Love it.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
That's a conscientious seller there. Love it.
Definitely! He responded to my messages within minutes and shipped the very next day. I believe a model for all eBay sellers.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 06-30-2013, 11:14 PM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxCardboard View Post
I don't think making offers is against the rules...but offering to deal off of eBay is against the rules. Some sellers don't care, but most medium- to high-volume sellers won't entertain such offers because they don't want eBay to ding them.

If I were you, I'd just drop him a note that says if he dropped the price on eBay to such and such a price, you'd hit the BIN immediately. Only risk for you is that you don't hit it in time and someone else gets it. No risk to the seller if he's willing to part with the card at that price.
I did something similar to that once. The seller had a card listed with a BIN price but no Best Offer so I sent a message suggesting that if they relisted with a Best Offer I would offer $x for the card. I never suggest off-line transactions. The seller messaged me back and shortly thereafter the item was relisted, I made my offer and it was accepted. The card had been listed for quite some time at $1400.00 with no takers. My offer was $1000.00.

As far as sellers that continually list items at high BIN prices, I've found that it helps if you know the seller's tendencies. There is one seller on eBay that lists items at high BINs. I've purchased many cards from him because he periodically discounts his items 20%. Even with the discount his stuff is a bit pricey. When a sale is on, I offer him 80% of his asking price because I know that is his comfort zone. A few times I've offered 75% of his asking price but they are typically rejected with a few exceptions.

Last edited by auggiedoggy; 06-30-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:22 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Definitely! He responded to my messages within minutes and shipped the very next day. I believe a model for all eBay sellers.
Thank you! I try to be one of the best!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:41 AM
John Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxCardboard View Post

I did exactly this on a card I'd been watching for over a year. Month after month -- same card, same inflated price. In my note I told the seller I'd had an eye on the card, that it seemed apparent that it wasn't going to sell at that price, and that would buy it if he'd lower the price to &%*$&&!!!! I even suggested a time when he might do that, after which I'd jump on it. (Enlightened self interest) He agreed, I got my card, he got about as much loot as he would ever get for it, and eBay rang up another sale.

Not illegal, not even cheating. Just a good deal for everybody.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:19 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I really don't think anybody is going to get offended by an offer of 10-15% below their asking price. It's the offers of 85-90% below asking that tick sellers off. It sounds ridiculous, but as a seller with Best Offer enabled on practically everything I list, I can tell you I get at least one or two of those a day. And as a result, my blocked bidders list grows almost daily...
Old 07-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
I really don't think anybody is going to get offended by an offer of 10-15% below their asking price. It's the offers of 85-90% below asking that tick sellers off. It sounds ridiculous, but as a seller with Best Offer enabled on practically everything I list, I can tell you I get at least one or two of those a day. And as a result, my blocked bidders list grows almost daily...

Lance, your point is well taken but,

if a seller has a $150 card listed with a $900 BIN and his other listings have comparably marked up asking prices, I have no hesitation in making an offer of $150. If he blocks me, I could care less and he keeps his inventory forever. I think it depends on who is being unreasonable. I know that I wont be blocked at his estate sale.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
... I know that I wont be blocked at his estate sale.
Ouch!
Old 07-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Yep- i recently just dropped my items 10%. A fellow board memeber told me they were reasonable prices...and he told me to drop it 10% the other day, since i was not getting offers.
I do set a minimum offer requirement on Ebay..so i dont get low-ball offers, some still slip thru. SO then, I even suggest paypal gift..which cuts a good bit off it more.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:22 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Lance, your point is well taken but,

if a seller has a $150 card listed with a $900 BIN and his other listings have comparably marked up asking prices, I have no hesitation in making an offer of $150. If he blocks me, I could care less and he keeps his inventory forever. I think it depends on who is being unreasonable. I know that I wont be blocked at his estate sale.
Ha! Okay, fair enough. I was thinking more of my own case, where I price things at something resembling fair market value: maybe not bargain basement prices, but certainly not 6x-10x what an item is worth. Bottom line though is that, whether it's the buyer or the seller who is being unreasonable, if there is that much disparity in the perceived value of the item, I think both parties are better off moving on to the next deal.

And just for the record, I've been selling on eBay for a looong time, and haven't always had the "block the bottom-feeders" policy. Even when I used to at least counter every offer I received though, no matter how ridiculous the initial offer, I can't recall a single instance where someone started out at 10-15% of my asking price and we finally settled somewhere in the middle.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Jake Dahl

I had a similar experience. I was after a card on ebay that was xx amount and I forgot to make an offer cause I wanted the item, but then a few weeks later I asked if the item would be back up, seller responds that it would be. He sends me a message saying the amount he would accept is xx dollars. The buy it now was what he was asking, and in the end I bought the item. I never have had a seller tell me what he would accept.

Pre War/Post War Yankees/Highlanders Cards and Memorabilia

1960 Topps Baseball set

Any other cool sports cards and memorabilia

Last edited by HOF Yankees; 07-01-2013 at 03:44 PM. Reason: errors in sentance
Old 07-01-2013, 07:43 PM

I do it all the time. I make a fair offer and it doesn't cost me anything to do it. The worst that can happen is that they say no.

I recently bought an item for 60% below the buy it now price. And I was able to do it because I was willing to ask. Would I have won it in a bid scenario? Maybe. But now I don't have to wonder.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:29 PM

It can be frustrating when you see items over priced and the seller is not willing to be reasonable. I have been watching a couple eBay items for the past six months, some signed Seattle Mariners items of Vada Pinson and Todd Cruz. Not a huge market out there for the items. the seller keeps posting them at the same price and won't responded to any offers nor does he want to look at what other signed items of the same players are going for. Nor will he give me a bundle price for the pair as I have asked a couple of times. .
Old 07-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDice View Post
It can be frustrating when you see items over priced and the seller is not willing to be reasonable. I have been watching a couple eBay items for the past six months, some signed Seattle Mariners items of Vada Pinson and Todd Cruz. Not a huge market out there for the items. the seller keeps posting them at the same price and won't responded to any offers nor does he want to look at what other signed items of the same players are going for. Nor will he give me a bundle price for the pair as I have asked a couple of times. .
You know what's more frustrating? pricing items to sell and still getting low-ball offers.