NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-18-2013, 12:30 AM
Rob

Default 1896 Whitehead and Hoag Buffalo Bisons Pinback

Hi, Folks,

Just picked up this Buffalo Bisons' team pinback from Goodwin and was trying to ID some of the players.

From the dates on the back, it looks like this pin dates to mid 1896. Would that place this image as the 1896 Bisons? Comments and thoughts appreciated...

buffalobisonspin213.jpgbuffalobisonspinback215.jpg
Old 06-18-2013, 04:30 AM
Phil Garry

I believe that all Whitehead & Hoag pin backs with the paper label show a patent date of 1896. That does not mean that the date of the featured image is from 1896. My guess is that your team image dates to either 1897 or 1898 as those are the years that most of the team composite images were produced.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Rob

Default Composite ID's

Phil, thanks for the help on this one.

I have been able to 95% ID Ed Gremminger as the player at about 10 O'Clock on the pin. He played for Buffalo 1896-1899.

It looks like 70% Bill Clymer to me at between 11-12 O'Clock. He played for Buffalo between 1894-1897.

Sam Wise maybe 40% sure at just under 9 O'Clock 1895-1898.

Jack Rowe was the manager throughout these years, but the photos on his wikipedia page do not match anyone on the pin that I can see.

I've made more progress than I thought I would, so far. I will update when I have more time to study this pin.

If anyone has any thoughts on ID, let me know.

Also, if anyone has any other Whitehead and Hoag pins, post them here. Thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 07:38 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Sounds like you're on the right track, but just to confirm the possible dates, Ted Hake has that Whitehead & Hoag back paper style dated as 1896 to 1898 in his book Collectible Pin-Back Buttons.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 06-18-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:48 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Default Even Better

From Ted Hake and Roger Steckler's Non-Paper Sports Collectibles:
(in case it's too hard to read, the date just above the "B.B." is 1897)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cameo Pepsin Gum128.jpg (75.5 KB, 111 views)
Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Okay, after playing around with the image of your pin to produce a (maybe) clearer view of the players, and setting that side-by-side with an enlargement from Hake's book, I see that there is a slight difference between the two. While they clearly use the same composite image of the players and have the same "Buffalo B.B. Club" text at the bottom, it appears that yours has "Photos By F.A. Remington" above that whereas the one in the book has the 1897 date. I'm not quite sure what to make of the difference, but hopefully someone else will be able to elaborate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cameo Pepsin Gum130.jpg (77.3 KB, 103 views)
Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Rob

Default Thanks

Thanks, Lance.

I should be able to ID most of the players, now that you have found the year as 1897. I appreciate it and it looks like that is a great reference book to own.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:20 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

No problem. Both books come in handy now and then, especially CPBB when it comes to dating the back papers. Hake's button books are spotty in covering baseball pinbacks (which he says in the book is intentional, since most are covered in greater detail elsewhere), but came through in this case. Good luck with the ID's!