NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2023, 10:41 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Default PSA Grading Fees at the National

$150 up to $2499 value by the end of the show - Collector's Club Exclusive
$250 up to $4999 value by end of day
$500 up to $14999 value by end of day

So there you have it!!

Last edited by rand1com; 07-08-2023 at 10:45 AM. Reason: content
Old 07-08-2023, 10:44 AM
Jay Cee

I normally don’t have my cards graded. Are those prices good, average or bad? Do you think it helps the seller realize their grading fees back?
Old 07-08-2023, 10:48 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
I normally don’t have my cards graded. Are those prices good, average or bad? Do you think it helps the seller realize their grading fees back?
If you have very valuable cards, the fees may be worth it. You don't have to ship and insure both ways. If I had a card worth close to $14,999 that I really wanted to have graded, $500 by the end of the same day would be reasonable to me.
Old 07-08-2023, 01:41 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
If you have very valuable cards, the fees may be worth it. You don't have to ship and insure both ways. If I had a card worth close to $14,999 that I really wanted to have graded, $500 by the end of the same day would be reasonable to me.
Paying 500.00 for an opinion which seems to be political at times doesn’t seem right. I haven’t truly embraced all this grading, as I’ve been collecting before these grading companies popped up. I think if I was gonna sell a 15k card I’d send it to a reputable AH and negotiate them sending it in to be graded. They can absorb the cost which won’t be as much, as what us collectors pay.
Old 07-08-2023, 02:14 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Paying 500.00 for an opinion which seems to be political at times doesn’t seem right. I haven’t truly embraced all this grading, as I’ve been collecting before these grading companies popped up. I think if I was gonna sell a 15k card I’d send it to a reputable AH and negotiate them sending it in to be graded. They can absorb the cost which won’t be as much, as what us collectors pay.
They do get a break on the cost of grading but whatever it is they deduct from the seller's final take. They may get a break on the actual grade as well but who knows.

But, in order to have them get the card graded, you have to commit to consigning it for auction.

If you grade it yourself, you determine what happens to the card.

PSA charges $600 to grade at their location in California a card with a value only up to $9,999 so you actually get a better price for a potentially higher valued card in one day on site at the National.

Not for everyone, but again for the right card probably a decent deal.
Old 07-08-2023, 03:46 PM
Jay Cee

Who determines the value? I remember when dealers were using two price guides. The SCD and SMR. They buy using one guide and sell using the other guide. Isn’t a lot of the value speculation where on any given day a card could sell for 7500 or 17500.
Old 07-08-2023, 03:58 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Who determines the value?
The initial submitter based on their prediction of the graded value, or the raw replacement value if they're okay with it going slower and possibly getting reimbursed for a smaller value in case it gets lost or damaged at PSA.
Once it's graded, sometimes PSA will cross-check the value based on their APR tool to determine a current value, and will sometimes upcharge people to a higher service level. However, that's intermittent. There are times when thousand dollar cards go through on bulk $99 max value submissions (think PSA 10 commons from the 60s) or times when a card valued at $249 gets upcharged to the $999 level if it gets a 10 in modern basketball autos, for example.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-08-2023, 06:15 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Who determines the value? I remember when dealers were using two price guides. The SCD and SMR. They buy using one guide and sell using the other guide. Isn’t a lot of the value speculation where on any given day a card could sell for 7500 or 17500.
There is not the kind of pricing disparity that you suggest above. VCP which stands for Vintage Card Prices is the primary tool most dealers/collectors use for comparable pricing.

It has most recorded actual sale prices of graded cards by PSA, Beckett, or SGC whether sold on Ebay or through auction houses. Most recent sales are generally used for pricing when buying/selling although some cards may not have any recorded sales in many years. You have to pay a membership fee annually to have access to the site.

The PSA SMR is not accurate as it is not updated on a regular basis. PSA does have some actual pricing of sold PSA cards only.

Ebay has a tool to find actual sales on Ebay but a lot of times best offers are accepted and the recorded sales are the BIN prices.

Bottom line is vintage graded cards are not usually discounted to any great extent over whatever the market value is at any point in time.
Old 07-08-2023, 06:35 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
There’s certainly a range for market for any given card.

My experience is that they tend to be pretty forgiving when it comes to hitting you with upcharges. Not that you can go nuts and just submit everything at the lowest possible level. But my experience suggests it has to be pretty egregious with your item being clearly and well over the limit before you get to pay more.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 07-08-2023, 07:38 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
There is not the kind of pricing disparity that you suggest above.
I would assert that great differences in price are not related so much to multiple cards with the same grade (though eye appeal does play a part), but to the same card at different grades. For example, submit the same card 10 times and then look at the prices for the highest and lowest grades of those 10 submittals. The ambiguity of the grading scale is what drives folks to submit the same card multiple times hoping for a bump in grade and the corresponding bump in value. And at the high end of the grading scale, that can be a 5-10x jump.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 07-08-2023 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-09-2023, 05:23 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Certainly true on vintage high grade cards.

I submitted a 1954 World Series Game 1 (Mays Catch) ticket stub at the $150 level which covered up to $2499 on the value side for grading. I got an email informing me the cost would be $600 for the grading due to the grade of the ticket. At first, I was ticked to pay an additional $450 for grading due to the grade but upon finding out it was the highest graded one, I just happily ate the fee.

I'm sure if someone submits a 1952 Topps Mantle at the level of NM and it grades NM/M they would be happy to pay the additional fee as well.

But I thought the post about value indicated same grade just different valuations as he mentioned SCD and SMR.
Old 07-09-2023, 06:54 AM
Johnny MaZilli

The Lines Will Be Long with Submitters, I wish SGC was dong on-site....ugh
Old 07-09-2023, 07:04 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
People
Have literally made millions because people
Have this attitude. Those raking in the dollars because others are too scared or self righteous to use grading would like to thank you and those like you that are too afraid to make money by having the cards authenticated and graded. Be careful some of the clowns on here that complain about grading the most are the first ones in line at PSA to slab there cards when they get anything of value. It’s rather comical in actuality.
Old 07-09-2023, 09:05 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
People
Have literally made millions because people
Have this attitude. Those raking in the dollars because others are too scared or self righteous to use grading would like to thank you and those like you that are too afraid to make money by having the cards authenticated and graded. Be careful some of the clowns on here that complain about grading the most are the first ones in line at PSA to slab there cards when they get anything of value. It’s rather comical in actuality.
Your last sentence is spot on. They will Bitch and Moan till the Cows come
home about PSA pricing but will use them every time because they know it just like us, PSA slabbed cards sell for the most. That’s that.
Old 07-09-2023, 01:44 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

347. Kvetch-22
The principle that the people who bitterly complain the most about PSA’s horrific business practices are the same ones who gladly keep sending in more cards to be graded, because PSA slabs deliver the highest sales prices.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2023, 09:12 PM
Justin

Quote:
$150 up to $2499 value by the end of the show - Collector's Club Exclusive
$250 up to $4999 value by end of day
$500 up to $14999 value by end of day

So there you have it!!
Where can I find this info? I don't see prices or services anywhere on their website or social media accounts.

I'm trying to find pricing for on-site auto authentication

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2023, 09:24 PM
Troy Rambo

it's on their website.

https://www.psacard.com/articles/art...rading-pricing
Old 07-09-2023, 11:43 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Be careful some of the clowns on here that complain about grading the most are the first ones in line at PSA to slab there cards when they get anything of value. It’s rather comical in actuality.
What clowns are you referring to? Are you implying certain folks of net54? I can remember when there was no grading and when grading started they had show specials for 10-25 a card. I’ve never stood in line or submitted to PSA (just for the record). If I want to sell a high end card, and it’s a commodity like card than sure it will do better in a slab. I would have the auction house cover the cost of grading as it’s their job of maximizing and advertising the consignment. Seems like a nerve was hit about grading costs. Lol. Shall we discuss eBay fees next?
Old 07-10-2023, 04:52 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
347. Kvetch-22
The principle that the people who bitterly complain the most about PSA’s horrific business practices are the same ones who gladly keep sending in more cards to be graded, because PSA slabs deliver the highest sales prices.
Great word!

Funny how much complaining one sees, yet the same people continue to go to the psa well.

Last edited by parkplace33; 07-10-2023 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-10-2023, 05:22 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcosta19 View Post
Where can I find this info? I don't see prices or services anywhere on their website or social media accounts.

I'm trying to find pricing for on-site auto authentication

They usually just charge their regular fees for autograph authentication at shows so just look at their list of signers on their site and the price of submission. Not sure if you have to do that in advance as with the cards or not.

JSA and Beckett will also be authenticating on site. Not sure if you get the actual LOA on site from any of them.

At most shows, they send the LOAs through the mail within about a month. However, some of them have produced the LOAs on site at the National in the past.
Old 07-10-2023, 05:51 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I don't even know why SGC is going if they're not grading on site. It's in many peoples opinion that SGC is so efficient at what they do at their Headquarters in Florida what's the point of them even going if they have to just send your cards back with them to Florida to get graded. Just mail them yourself, you liable to have them graded and sent back to you by the following week. If it's really what's cost effective for SGC, seems to be man people's argument as to why they're not grading on site at the National why not slim it down and cut their costs even more.
Old 07-10-2023, 06:46 AM
Justin

Quote:
They usually just charge their regular fees for autograph authentication at shows so just look at their list of signers on their site and the price of submission. Not sure if you have to do that in advance as with the cards or not.

JSA and Beckett will also be authenticating on site. Not sure if you get the actual LOA on site from any of them.

At most shows, they send the LOAs through the mail within about a month. However, some of them have produced the LOAs on site at the National in the past.
Thanks for the info.
I have done onsite with Beckett and JSA at shows but never at National and never with PSA. Glad to hear it's basically the same.

Thanks again

Old 07-10-2023, 10:48 AM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I don't even know why SGC is going if they're not grading on site. It's in many peoples opinion that SGC is so efficient at what they do at their Headquarters in Florida what's the point of them even going if they have to just send your cards back with them to Florida to get graded. Just mail them yourself, you liable to have them graded and sent back to you by the following week. If it's really what's cost effective for SGC, seems to be man people's argument as to why they're not grading on site at the National why not slim it down and cut their costs even more.
Johnny, IMHO, SGC's point in setting up at the National is simply to both have a presence and to accept submissions. I am one of those collectors who, if at all possible, will avoid shipping valuable cards to both TPGs and auction houses to avoid the risk of loss or damage, as well as save the cost of shipping. Fortunately for me, both SGC and REA set up at the thrice-yearly Chantilly Show (I live 10 miles from this show).
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.