NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-07-2023, 03:47 PM
CJ

Default Ty Cobb Turkey Red - Help With Tape Removal

Hey, everyone. I picked this up as part of a lot. (Feel free to call me an idiot if it screams fake to you. I'm no expert.)

It was framed under glass and a matte. I just disassembled the frame to expose the back, and found it taped to the matting.

What should I do about the tape? Obviously the card is heavily cut, but I wouldn't want to damage it further.

Click thumbnails for hi-res pics.

Front:

Back attached to matting with tape:

Close up of the heels to show ink:

Old 07-07-2023, 03:54 PM

It appears to be archival tape, which is similar to blue painters tape and will pull off with no damage. I can't guarantee it, but it looks so. I would start slow and be especially careful along the rough cut edge of the cabinet where it will be most prone to pull paper with it.

It appears to be a 100% real T3, just cut down.
Old 07-07-2023, 03:57 PM

IF I were to do it. I would loosen the tape on a corner on the cabinet and pull away from it(a very careful fingernail should be enough to get a corner started). By not start on the matting and pull into the cabinet, that will help prevent pulling the paper stock on the cut edge.

Last edited by sb1; 07-07-2023 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2023, 03:58 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

I think it looks cool matted. Sorry can't help about the tape but Scott appears to be on to a good possibility.

What are your plans for it? In it's current form it is a great display piece

Lee

Last edited by Sterling Sports Auctions; 07-07-2023 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-07-2023, 07:41 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Blow dryer. It’ll melt the glue.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:25 PM
Bry@n

If those other suggestions don't work, you can take an insurance card - something hard, thin, and flexible - and very gently, slowly, and firmly push the tape off bit by bit. The risk with trying to get a corner and pulling is that you might still get some of the paper even with conservator's tape. Obviously all options have risk in this case.
Old 07-08-2023, 11:18 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Sports Auctions View Post
I think it looks cool matted. Sorry can't help about the tape but Scott appears to be on to a good possibility.

What are your plans for it? In it's current form it is a great display piece

Lee
I like it as displayed but I can understand taking it out. Above advise is best I could think of

Good luck and show ascend results after

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-08-2023, 02:30 PM
CJ

Thanks for the tips. I was going to try the careful fingernail first, starting on the card and pulling out to the matte, since it's a more removal friendly tape. Then, I'll try the other ideas if that goes nowhere.

There was a marking on the frame that said it was done in 1989. So, it may be a little stuck on there. I didn't want to mess with it without outside opinions.

I agree that it does look good matted. Unfortunately, it was matted alongside of a fake autograph. (I expected that to be fake, but thought the card looked good.) I was really hoping that the framer just matted over the card's borders. I pulled the frame apart to see the back, then cut the matte in half to just keep the Turkey Red portion.

I may remove the tape, then re-tape it with a better backing and put it in a new frame.

But, I was thinking about just sending it off to be graded and potentially selling somewhere.

I got such a good deal on it that I'm in no rush, and this is my first Cobb card. Might savor it a bit first before parting with it haha.

Oh, and if I was going to submit to PSA or SGC... Since this one is cut, would you recommend using a Card Saver 4 size semi-rigid holder? They don't make the soft penny sleeves that big, right? Just put it right in the Card Saver 4? If it won't fit the 4, what should I use?

I've only done standard cards before.

Last edited by Prof; 07-08-2023 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-08-2023, 03:58 PM
Frank Wakefield

I agree with much of what's said above. Let us know how your results go. That may well be archival tape, and as such it should release well.

If you aren't good with your results after trying those, and you want to go an additional step... go to rubber cement thinner. Amazon: Bestine rubber cement thinner search for that, it'll come in a metal can, keep the lid tight and it'll last a while. Put a SMALL amount on a Q-tip and touch it to ink on a much less valuable T3, then blot it away. You want to see if the ink is going to run... I think it won't, but don't use THAT T3 you have on your learning curve. The rubber cement thinner is basically benzine. That's a non-polar solvent that should let the tape adhesive soften and release.
Old 07-08-2023, 04:04 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

It appears to be a 100% real T3, just cut down.
Imo

It's trimmed down beyond belief with writing. Not worth ruining removing from it's current position. It would look awful in an "A" slab. All my.opinion and FWIW I had a complete set with all variations and boxers so I am partial to the set!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors