NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-23-2015, 10:51 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Default T206 miscut values for multiple back ads

I try to limit myself to starting one T206 thread a year, so somebody stop me if I try another one in the next five months.

My question is about cards that are centered on the front but misaligned on the back, so that parts of (what should have been) two or more backs are visible. I'm aware there's a range in what premium, if any, these cards tend to sell for, but I'm curious how much it varies. I assume the most valuable would clearly show parts of four different backs, with the miscut itself well-centered so that none of them is clearly the predominant back. And I assume the least valuable (no premium?) is one that is barely miscut on one axis so that just a sliver of the adjacent back is visible. T206 freak collectors, what premium would you expect these cards to sell for? (None, 50%, 3x, 10x, 40x,...)?

All four backs showing equally:
Two backs clearly and equally visible, two others barely showing:
One predominant back, two others visible upon close examination:
One predominant back, one other visible upon close examination:
Old 07-23-2015, 11:22 AM

You are correct, the more you see of the adjacent card(s), the higher the premium. It's hard to put a number on what type of a premium to expect however, as it has been all over the place the last 2 years. I will say that each of these cards (common players) are probably in the $1250-2250 range, as they are pretty extreme examples. I've owned a number of great miscuts, but for now, have only held on to the most dramatic ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 MISCUTS.jpg (63.6 KB, 280 views)

Last edited by MVSNYC; 07-23-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:00 PM

Default Dude....

those are some SICK miscuts

+1 to you mike, I think you are the #1 back miscut collector out here
Old 07-24-2015, 06:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

As a rule the more dramatic the error the more valuable.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:02 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
I try to limit myself to starting one T206 thread a year, so somebody stop me if I try another one in the next five months.

My question is about cards that are centered on the front but misaligned on the back, so that parts of (what should have been) two or more backs are visible. I'm aware there's a range in what premium, if any, these cards tend to sell for, but I'm curious how much it varies. I assume the most valuable would clearly show parts of four different backs, with the miscut itself well-centered so that none of them is clearly the predominant back. And I assume the least valuable (no premium?) is one that is barely miscut on one axis so that just a sliver of the adjacent back is visible. T206 freak collectors, what premium would you expect these cards to sell for? (None, 50%, 3x, 10x, 40x,...)?

All four backs showing equally:
Two backs clearly and equally visible, two others barely showing:
One predominant back, two others visible upon close examination:
One predominant back, one other visible upon close examination:
From a strict geometric perspective, I am having difficulty imagining a card with three backs visible. If it has a lateral mate and a vertical mate visible, you would see the corner of a fourth back. Not that it really matters to me.

And once again I would suggest that these cards are misprints (mal-aligned) and not miscuts. If you cannot cut it correctly, you cannot miscut it.

So if I wanted to collect these, I would tip (bribe) the printer (and not the cutter) and have him send me a few.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 07-24-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:26 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
From a strict geometric perspective, I am having difficulty imagining a card with three backs visible. If it has a lateral mate and a vertical mate visible, you would see the corner of a fourth back. Not that it really matters to me.

And once again I would suggest that these cards are misprints (mal-aligned) and not miscuts. If you cannot cut it correctly, you cannot miscut it.

So if I wanted to collect these, I would tip the printer (and not the cutter) and have him send me a few.
a) That assumes the printed portion of the back occupies a rectangular space, which is not the case for any T206 I can think of. This Goudey will assist your imagination.

b) Your post was the reason I used the word misaligned.

On a related note, grade "inflation" is actually grade contraction if you think about it. And even if you don't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg miscut Goudey.jpg (6.6 KB, 200 views)
Old 07-24-2015, 07:36 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
a) That assumes the printed portion of the back occupies a rectangular space, which is not the case for any T206 I can think of. This Goudey will assist your imagination.

b) Your post was the reason I used the word misaligned.

On a related note, grade "inflation" is actually grade contraction if you think about it. And even if you don't.
You are actually seeing the corner of a fourth back on the Goudey. There just isn't anything printed on it, and I have a BS in Mathematics to back that up.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 07-24-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:44 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Fair enough. In my shorthand, I meant "printed portion of the back" when I used the word "back." Otherwise, of course, all backs are misaligned or miscut to some degree.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:11 AM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Frank,

I see your point. So strictly speaking, each of these cards only has one back.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 07-24-2015, 09:28 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
Frank,

I see your point. So strictly speaking, each of these cards only has one back.
It's true, but if a couple of them get stuck together you could have a beast with two backs.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:57 PM
Cliff

Default Double Back

Found this one at the Pittsburgh card show. bought is as a regular card till I got it home and examined more closely!

DDOUBLE 3.jpg

DOUBLE 1.jpg

DOUBLE 2.jpg
T206 Back Set - 37/38
T227 Series of Champions Master Set 45/48
1948 Bowman - Baseball & Football (upgrading)
Old 07-24-2015, 01:07 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Behold, the beast with two backs lives!
Old 07-24-2015, 03:08 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marslife View Post
Found this one at the Pittsburgh card show. bought is as a regular card till I got it home and examined more closely!

Attachment 198482

Attachment 198483

Attachment 198484
WTF?? That's pretty cool regardless of explantion. I guess re-backing dates back to circa 1910. Maybe time to start peeling the top layer off all my fronts in hopes of finding a Plank or Wags
Old 07-24-2015, 03:20 PM
Ed McCollum

Question is: who was the Piedmont player who got glue on their face to cover the Polar Bear back that someone didn't want?
Old 07-25-2015, 08:12 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
WTF?? That's pretty cool regardless of explantion. I guess re-backing dates back to circa 1910. Maybe time to start peeling the top layer off all my fronts in hopes of finding a Plank or Wags
what makes you think the re-backing is circa 1910?