NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-06-2017, 03:45 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Default Dean Brothers Rice Stix Companion piece?

A while back I picked up this photo. It appears to be a premium and it matches closely to the design of the Rice Stix products. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this item. I know this isn't a vintage card, but since my question is about its relation to some vintage cards I thought this was the appropriate section. Thank you.

Rice-Stix related image Dean Bros St. Louis Cardinals by andy neubert, on Flickr

Edit to add that it is approx 8x10

Last edited by bn2cardz; 05-06-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

As a collector of Premiums that is what it looks like to me. Maybe there was a small stack no the counter and given out at the store, who knows? Neat item. If you ever want to sell I might be interested.....thanks for sharing.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:32 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

The reason I believe it was a premium is due to the gloss finish. If you look at the top left there is a bit of toning. That is actually where that gloss is starting to separate.

I do have a personal friend that is the curator of the St. Louis Cardinals Museum. He also authored the "Redbird Relics" book put out by the museum. When the book came out I asked him about this piece and he says he has never seen it. He said it became a very early marketing campaign using the "Me and Paul" slogan, so he thought it was interesting that if this was a premium it predated putting that slogan on it. Of note the shirt boxes that have the similar picture has the "Me and Paul" slogan on it. He really didn't know, though, if it was part of that or where it came from.

I was just hoping maybe another collector may have one, because it would be very strange for a single premium to exist still. I did buy this from Lew Lipset, but he didn't really have much information about it either.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:47 PM
Ross B.

I have one too. I had never seen another. I also have a postcard with a similar image. I really don't know anything about them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dizzy and Paul Dean Premium.jpg (74.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 1930's Meade Postcard Dizzy and Paul Dean (2).jpg (68.3 KB, 64 views)
Old 05-08-2017, 07:56 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLeaguer View Post
I have one too. I had never seen another. I also have a postcard with a similar image. I really don't know anything about them.
That is great. I figured there had to be more out there, but I couldn't find any evidence of them. I had heard of the postcard, but hadn't done any research on finding one.