NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2017, 12:24 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default How long do you keep a set??

Everyone is different and has different tastes and levels of income they can devote to their collection. My question is do you guys eventually (or quickly too, I guess) sell off sets that you have built or have purchased? I still like what I have, but my interests are also changing (from postwar to prewar) and getting more expensive. In thinking about projects I would like to do, I am going to need $$ and I have limits. Do you guys eventually reach the point to where you feel you've enjoyed whatever it is you have and you're ready to move on to something else, or do you focus on just accumulating and never sell??

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Everyone is different and has different tastes and levels of income they can devote to their collection. My question is do you guys eventually (or quickly too, I guess) sell off sets that you have built or have purchased? I still like what I have, but my interests are also changing (from postwar to prewar) and getting more expensive. In thinking about projects I would like to do, I am going to need $$ and I have limits. Do you guys eventually reach the point to where you feel you've enjoyed whatever it is you have and you're ready to move on to something else, or do you focus on just accumulating and never sell??

Much to the chagrin of my spouse, I just accumulate. If you are looking to pivot out of post war sets into pre-war, I still need to knock out 52-53 topps 48-52 Bowman as well as some of the smaller sets such as 55 double headers 64 giants etc...

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 05-03-2017, 01:24 PM
Sean Costello

I sell a set when I no longer enjoy owning it.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:37 PM
John D.

I too am an accumulator only. I keep saying that my wife and her new boyfriend can buy a really nice house when I am gone
Old 05-03-2017, 02:17 PM
Derek Granger

complete set say what? What's that?

I only have 19 more Helmar Stamps to go (out of 180), but it'll probably still be another 10 years before I am able to complete the set. If I did finish the set, I will probabbly keep it as it has been a labor of love for me. But ask me again in a few years (after I have completed a set).

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 05-03-2017, 02:42 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

It's probably different for everyone. The last "Set" I completed was a 1970-1979 Yankees PSA 8 decade set. I had a lot of fun building it but once that last card showed up, I lost interest in it and it just sat in a few boxes and now I've listed it on ebay to help fund the never ending chase of T206 front/back combo's. For me, the time building a set is most enjoyable. It brings me back to 1985 when I built my first Topps set one wax pack at a time.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 05-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Larry

While I have been almost exclusively a stars and HOF'ers collector, I am currently focused on one set from my youth, and have no intentions of parting with it upon completion.

Best wishes,

Larry
Old 05-03-2017, 04:53 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Kevin--I am usually an accumulator myself. The thought of unloading a set is really pretty foreign to me. It's just that I am wading into new and pricey territory and anticipate needing funds to pursue it. At this point, I am not looking to move much in terms of baseball. I would likely be selling a complete '65 Topps Tallboy football set which is 100% SGC graded. Never been much of a football collector so it doesn't hurt as much I guess.

Sean--I totally agree. I could stand losing the football, I believe.

John--I have told my wife the same thing.

Derek--Keep going, sounds like you are about there!

Ronnie--Anything that I might sell would, like you, go to fund prewar baseball so I have an idea of where you are coming from.

Larry--I understand the idea of wanting to keep what you are working on. Even with entering prewar, I don't anticipate letting go of most of my postwar baseball for quite a while. The prewar I want to pursue would be for keeps.

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 05-03-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:18 PM
Brandon Bailey

Until death, and I will have to be gone for so long before the wife and kids can sell them off.
I've never sold a set in fact only 3 cards ever, I'd never say never but can't imagine selling them, I guess I am just an accumulator as well.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:32 PM
Sam Lemoine

I've built the same set multiple times, multiple times. I also collect other things and have been known to sell off cards to buy comics. Then a year later sell them to buy records. Then sell those to buy cards. Can't make up my mind on anything...
Old 05-03-2017, 07:57 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I sell a set when I no longer enjoy owning it.
To me, this is now the right answer. I didn't always to feel that way. But I finally realized that if I didn't even care enough anymore to look at a set for several years, it really didn't need to be taking up space in my house and I could go ahead and get rid of it. Fortunately for me, I'm really not focused in collecting sets anymore so with a couple of exceptions for the 1920's Cuban sets, it is mostly a theoretical issue for me.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:35 PM
+0m J()rd@N

No need to respond, but I wonder if folks would answer the same way about their spouse(s) that they do about cards.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 05-03-2017, 08:56 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
No need to respond, but I wonder if folks would answer the same way about their spouse(s) that they do about cards.
If my spouse got more valuable over time...

Just kidding. I've never been married.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

As a type set collector it was time to look to something new when I had acquired all but a few of the cards I needed. Plus by the time I paid for our daughter's college, which was always a plan with the cards, it was going to take a good chunk of them so the time was right to just start over. I am a happier collector today by far..Plus some of the first collection has made it back to the second one. And a few other new additions have kept it exciting. The hunt is always exciting and maybe more so than the long term ownership, for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pr308foxx2.jpg (76.4 KB, 205 views)

Last edited by Leon; 05-04-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:06 AM
Ken McMillan

I have a set of W572 cards that is maybe 14 or 15 cards from being complete. Have not found anything in nearly 2 years so I am on the bubble with this set. They are rather plain and not finding anything loses the excitement of the set. If I could get out of them what I put in, they would go to fund other projects.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:30 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
As a type set collector it was time to look to something new when I had acquired all but a few of the cards I needed. Plus by the time I paid for our daughter's college, which was always a plan with the cards, it was going to take a good chunk of them so the time was right to just start over. I am a happier collector today by far..Plus some of the first collection has made it back to the second one. And a few other new additions have kept it exciting. The hunt is always exciting and maybe more so than the long term ownership, for me.
This is turning out to be more difficult than I had thought. It turns out that I might be more greedy than I had thought. My interests are shifting to prewar, especially the PCL. I am troubled that I am having difficulty wanting to let go of some of my postwar collection. I appreciate your insight and the insight of all who have responded. It really does help me think it through.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:18 AM
C0le Hibb@rd

I've never owned a complete set, but I assume the answer is different for everybody. As for me, I like the hunt the most because I collect cards that are hard to find. So if I completed a set I don't think I would keep it for very long

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 05-05-2017, 09:23 PM
Mark Arentsen

Default Collect a set, sell it, and then repeat

I met a fellow years ago who only collected 1959 Topps Baseball sets one card at a time. When he finished his set, he would sell it and start over again. He said it kept him happy and into collecting and it kept his wife happy because there weren't thousands of BB cards lying around the house.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Garth Guibord

I can't say that anything I've got holds a candle to what most people on this board have, but in general, I used to be too sentimental with my possessions. It used to be so difficult to part with something I cherished, but it also meant that when I moved a couple times, it was really a bear because I just had too much stuff.

I've learned that selling/parting with things is really part of the process, and it's gotten much easier over the years the more I do it. Now there are the select "heirloom" pieces that I'll hold on to and cherish, but everything else can be dispersed with in due time.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I only collect a few sets, from my youth, and those in lower grades. The one I've 'finished' so far (1969 basketball) I just keep revising (not upgrading necessarily) to add cards that are visually consistent in place of cards that stick out.

I prefer to start with a base set that mostly meets my acceptable criteria and work from there. That's what I did with the 1969s. I had a handful from my childhood including a Chamberlain, bought a lower grade set at auction, blended it with my existing cards, then targeted about a dozen cards to replace so the whole thing looks similar.

I also like to do subsets. My next project will probably be the 1960-61 all star subsets or the 1961 MVP subset. Plus the 1975 MVP subset.

I also put together every Clayton Kershaw from the 2016 Topps Now issue; I enjoy the modern issues too.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-07-2017 at 08:59 AM.