NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2017, 12:35 AM

Default Buy sell hold accumulate and enjoy

T206 cobbs , mathewsons,youngs, Johnsons
1952 topps mays
1948 leaf Jackie Robinson
1949 bowman Paige
T206 rare backs
1951 bowman mantles

When you look at the list what do you see 5 to 10 percent growth per year
I know no one has a crystal ball
Just wondering if people are feeling positive or negative growth let's here your thoughts
Not looking to sell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3314.jpg (73.3 KB, 891 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1959.jpg (73.0 KB, 886 views)

Last edited by MR RAREBACK; 05-04-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:52 AM
C0le Hibb@rd

I feel like the 1951 Mantle will continue to rise, and T206 HOFs will hold their value if it not go up slightly IMO. Not a back guy so I'm not sure what the market is like for those... I was recently thinking about mays rookies and was going to propose this question in its own thread but why not here? For as long as I can remember the '52 Topps Mantle has been worth about 5x the '51 bowman for the same grade, at least in the lower grades I collect. Why doesn't this transfer to Mays? In fact the '51 mays sells for slightly MORE than the '52 Topps. The fact that mays sells for less than Mantle is a different debate, but this is weird to me. I guess it's just that the '52 Mantle is one of the most iconic cards in the hobby. But that is why I think mantle's 51 bowman is underrated and prices will continue to rise in the future

Edited to add/summarize: I think ANY Mantle cards will do pretty well in the future, and T206 HOFs next in line. 2 of the biggest markets in the hobby

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE

Last edited by vintagerookies51; 05-03-2017 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:45 AM
Sean Costello

I hope that you're holding on to those Cobbs. You could depress the market all by yourself if you chose to sell.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:46 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 View Post
I feel like the 1951 Mantle will continue to rise, and T206 HOFs will hold their value if it not go up slightly IMO. Not a back guy so I'm not sure what the market is like for those... I was recently thinking about mays rookies and was going to propose this question in its own thread but why not here? For as long as I can remember the '52 Topps Mantle has been worth about 5x the '51 bowman for the same grade, at least in the lower grades I collect. Why doesn't this transfer to Mays? In fact the '51 mays sells for slightly MORE than the '52 Topps. The fact that mays sells for less than Mantle is a different debate, but this is weird to me. I guess it's just that the '52 Mantle is one of the most iconic cards in the hobby. But that is why I think mantle's 51 bowman is underrated and prices will continue to rise in the future

Edited to add/summarize: I think ANY Mantle cards will do pretty well in the future, and T206 HOFs next in line. 2 of the biggest markets in the hobby
If I am understanding this correct, you have to keep in mind the 52 Mantle is a higher series card where the Mays isn't.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:25 AM

Tongue-in-cheek. I believe the word left out of the title is horde. Very impressive.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:29 AM
pete ullman

i guess I've never looked at bb cards as if they were stocks! maybe the SMR should adopt such "stock" terminology in their super accurate publication..."SMR recommends accumulating WWG Ruth cards at this time!"

I don't think you can go wrong with cobbs...ruths...and mantle/mays rookies for the short term.

as has been stated/joked...while I'm sure over the long haul your accumulation of cobbs will turn out very well for your portfolio's balance...you can destroy the short term market in one fell swoop!
Old 05-03-2017, 05:51 AM
Adam B

My theory is if the tax rate on business/self-employment income were to decrease significantly you might see increased speculation across certain collectibles markets.

I think coins could benefit, but I know very little about grading and all the other nuances.

Comics have already seen significant growth mainly due to increased awareness from Disney marketing and movies.

I have a feeling cards could do very well in the intermediate term so probably not a bad time to be sitting on a hoard of Cobbs.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:11 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshot69 View Post
My theory is if the tax rate on business/self-employment income were to decrease significantly you might see increased speculation across certain collectibles markets.

I think coins could benefit, but I know very little about grading and all the other nuances.

Comics have already seen significant growth mainly due to increased awareness from Disney marketing and movies.

I have a feeling cards could do very well in the intermediate term so probably not a bad time to be sitting on a hoard of Cobbs.
My thoughts exactly.

There will always be historians and baseball fans.

Too bad what you have pictured isn't worth much...

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 05-03-2017 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:19 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Incorporating as an s-corp will greatly reduce this tax rate.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:28 AM
Adam B

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Incorporating as an s-corp will greatly reduce this tax rate.
Based on what I've read this would seem to be where the legislation in Washington is headed. That said, after reading several articles I'm unsure how sole props, LLCs (Sole Member), and 1065 partnerships would be impacted? Perhaps maybe there is a CPA on here who would kindly provide their $.02?
Old 05-03-2017, 08:17 AM

25 Green T206 Cobbs all with hindu backs - WOW, very impressive.

As a very aggressive t206 collector for the past two years, I have seen the market continue to appreciate steadily. Not just HOFs, commons in all conditions as well.

My observations from the last 2 years of White Plains cards shows indicates very strong demand - and we all know there are no bargains at shows.

Just my 2 cents - but again, that is a really neat Cobb run...
Old 05-03-2017, 08:20 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman View Post

As a very aggressive t206 collector for the past two years, I have seen the market continue to appreciate steadily. Not just HOFs, commons in all conditions as well.

My observations from the last 2 years of White Plains cards shows indicates very strong demand - and we all know there are no bargains at shows.

those green cobbs DO NOT all have hindu backs!!!!
Old 05-03-2017, 08:26 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

27 Green Cobb
35 Hindu Backs

Pete, you beat me by a nanosecond.

I went back to double check my count before hitting submit.

There are also portions of two SGC gaskets below the bottom row, which was my original tip off.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:30 AM

pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2020.jpg (72.2 KB, 593 views)

Last edited by MR RAREBACK; 05-03-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:39 AM

I think the rare back is as risky as it gets. Not too long ago hardly anyone cared what was on the back. As they say, what goes around comes around.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:40 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman View Post

The green Cobb wasn't printed with a Hindu back.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:18 AM

pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2023.jpg (70.1 KB, 569 views)
Old 05-03-2017, 10:11 AM

No green Cobb Hindus? Thanks for the heads up. That's why I joined this board - I learn something everyday.

The rare backs are all awesome and I believe they demand for them will only increase.

Mr. Rareback has some seriously nice cards.

I own one Uzit.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:43 AM
Gary McNabb

LOL....I think you know exactly what you have ! If your showing them off, I am totally impressed. Two awesome photo's !!!!!!
Old 05-03-2017, 12:40 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Based on what I've read this would seem to be where the legislation in Washington is headed. That said, after reading several articles I'm unsure how sole props, LLCs (Sole Member), and 1065 partnerships would be impacted? Perhaps maybe there is a CPA on here who would kindly provide their $.02?
My CPA has for years has encouraged me to take this route....my wife has been looking for job opportunities out of state for years also, so I have been reluctant to shell out for the initial cost to set up in my state and then relocate soon after. Each year my CPA lets me know how much I could have saved as an s-corp versus a sole proprietorship and this year it would been about half of what I owed.

To tie this back to the theme of the thread, at some point down the road (hopefully a long time) before I begin to sell off my collection, this is the route I intend to take(if all the current legislation is still in place).
Old 05-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Eric Pugh

Default Nice

To the guy who started this thread, that's one helluva photo. Respect.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:38 PM
Paul

I can see a safe deposit box in one of the photos, so I'm guessing these are the photos from "bank visit" day. I keep all of my signed T206s (and even some of the non-signed ones) at the bank in a similar fashion. But, you have to get high quality scans of the cards before you do that. Otherwise you will certainly miss them and have to take more trips to the bank!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-03-2017, 02:43 PM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
I can see a safe deposit box in one of the photos, so I'm guessing these are the photos from "bank visit" day. I keep all of my signed T206s (and even some of the non-signed ones) at the bank in a similar fashion. But, you have to get high quality scans of the cards before you do that. Otherwise you will certainly miss them and have to take more trips to the bank!
Ugh. I think I would quit the hobby if I ever had to keep my cards in a bank vault. (no offense to anyone that does..I get it. But I just like to look at the beauties too much and would use an insane amount on gas getting to and from the bank.) :-)
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 05-03-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:54 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
Ugh. I think I would quit the hobby if I ever had to keep my cards in a bank vault. (no offense to anyone that does..I get it. But I just like to look at the beauties too much and would an insane amount on gas getting to and from the bank.) :-)
It's tough, but as someone who was the victim of a home break in, fortunately just after I got back into the hobby, it's a necessary precaution for my own piece of mind.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:15 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
If I am understanding this correct, you have to keep in mind the 52 Mantle is a higher series card where the Mays isn't.
But the Mantle is a triple print, and the stream of those making auction appearances (especially with new PSA holders) seems endless. In the '90's, someone estimated the existing number of examples at 15,000. I would say that number is significantly conservative.

And not to puncture your balloon, but the Jackie Robinson is not his rookie, with several 1947 issues predating it (the 1947 Bond Bread Exhibit seems especially elusive and difficult to acquire).

I believe they will all appreciate in value, with the only question being how much in comparison to other cards the same money could have gone into.

Good luck with them,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 05-03-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:17 PM
Paul

That's why I invested in a great scanner. I can take my cards anywhere and in some ways enjoy them more and on my IPad and IPhone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1290.jpg (70.2 KB, 449 views)

@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 05-03-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:22 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think the rare back is as risky as it gets. Not too long ago hardly anyone cared what was on the back. As they say, what goes around comes around.
No one cared much about variations in coins, be they mint marks or die variations for a very long time (read: decades), then awareness came and the values for the rarities went sky high. The card hobby has been progressing along much the same lines as coins, and significant, rare variations as valuable items appreciating at a higher rate are here to stay (with the emphasis on rare and significant--IMHO, rare T206 backs of HOF'ers will do much better than will commons).

Regards,

Larry
Old 05-03-2017, 03:23 PM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
That's why I invested in a great scanner. I can take my cards anywhere and in some ways enjoy them more and on my IPad and IPhone!
dup
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 05-03-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:24 PM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Yes you I get. Your stuff is just downright nasty and not replaceable. If I had your stuff I might have to build the bank vault in my house.

I still want that signed CJ Marquard!
Old 05-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
Yes you I get. Your stuff is just downright nasty and not replaceable. If I had your stuff I might have to build the bank vault in my house.

I still want that signed CJ Marquard!
That's very nice to read -- if I ever sell the signed CJ Marquard, you will be the first call! (changed my image above so you can enjoy it the same way I do -- DIGITALLY!)

@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 05-03-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:41 PM

nice to see more pics in the thread
Old 05-03-2017, 04:49 PM
Scott M.

To the OP, you just never know...

I "lost" money by holding onto these and not selling them before the Black Swamp find when I had multiple opportunities to do so.

As a collector, however, they still bring me a lot of joy when I pull them out and look through my collection and that's good enough for me.

Ultimately, if you are collecting what you like and enjoy, you don't need to worry about having a crystal ball and trying to figure out what direction "the market" is headed.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:53 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlflyer1 View Post
To the OP, you just never know...

I "lost" money by holding onto these and not selling them before the Black Swamp find when I had multiple opportunities to do so.

As a collector, however, they still bring me a lot of joy when I pull them out and look through my collection and that's good enough for me.

Ultimately, if you are collecting what you like and enjoy, you don't need to worry about having a crystal ball and trying to figure out what direction "the market" is headed.

mmmmmmmn...minty!
Old 05-03-2017, 05:14 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
It's tough, but as someone who was the victim of a home break in, fortunately just after I got back into the hobby, it's a necessary precaution for my own piece of mind.
That is what a gun is for.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:33 PM

now that's a nice green cobb wowzer
Old 05-03-2017, 05:38 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipAbbott79 View Post
That is what a gun is for.
Exactly. So when they break in when you're not home, they'll steal your gun and not your cards.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:44 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
But the Mantle is a triple print, and the stream of those making auction appearances (especially with new PSA holders) seems endless. In the '90's, someone estimated the existing number of examples at 15,000. I would say that number is significantly conservative.

And not to puncture your balloon, but the Jackie Robinson is not his rookie, with several 1947 issues predating it (the 1947 Bond Bread Exhibit seems especially elusive and difficult to acquire).

I believe they will all appreciate in value, with the only question being how much in comparison to other cards the same money could have gone into.

Good luck with them,

Larry
While not his true rookie, the first mainstream card of a player is usually the most sought after. I collect the Bond Breads (13 card set), but if I were to invest in a Jackie there is no doubt I would pick the 1949 leaf

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 05-03-2017, 07:29 PM
Brandon Bailey

I would say accumulator, but would sell 52 topps mantle's.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:01 PM
Val Kehl

Scott, you make a good point, however I sense the OP is investing, rather than collecting. And, it appears to me that the OP's T206 portfolio could really use additional Red Hindu, Drum, and Uzit investments.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:46 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Exactly. So when they break in when you're not home, they'll steal your gun and not your cards.
No. For when you are not home you need to do something like this first guy:

http://www.cracked.com/article/175_6...o-death-traps/
Old 05-04-2017, 05:16 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
My son's home near Downtown Atlanta was burglarized about 4 years ago. They took electronics and threw his graded cards (some T206's but mostly 50's-70's rookie HOFer's) on the bedroom floor.
Btw, he moved to a less crime area a year later.

Last edited by BruceinGa; 05-04-2017 at 05:17 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:42 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I had this exact thing happen. They left all my cards and the expensive guns and stole a cheap Ruger P89 9mm and a few boxes of ammo.LOL The gun was the only thing that was stolen. Because I have a list with all my guns serial #s I was lucky and when the thief was caught I got my gun back.

I used to buy and sell a lot of cards. Now I buy and hoard a lot of cards.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:25 AM
Dave_Berg

I just want to add my amazement of that collection. Wow!!
Old 05-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
I just want to add my amazement of that collection. Wow!!
It makes me think I'm watch a Barrett-Jackson or Mecum auction.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:00 PM

If you're "not looking to sell" then you're collecting.

Buy sell hold accumulate

You left out "enjoy"
Old 05-04-2017, 12:11 PM

correct I am looking to accumulate and enjoy for the rest of my life.
I will hate the day when it comes time to sell
I have had a passion for cards since childhood my parents would
not let me talk about baseball cards at the dinner table

Last edited by MR RAREBACK; 05-04-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:13 PM

Well, I like the edited title, my friend.

Good luck with the collection. I never get tired of the picture with all the green portrait Cobbs.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:48 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 View Post
While not his true rookie, the first mainstream card of a player is usually the most sought after. I collect the Bond Breads (13 card set), but if I were to invest in a Jackie there is no doubt I would pick the 1949 leaf
Oh really? I suppose we can then ignore such examples as the 1914 Baltimore News Ruth, with the one in the worst condition selling for $150,00, then $450,000 3 years later, and now bearing a price tag of $700,000. Or Orly's 1907 Seamless Steel Cobb rookie, graded merely Good "2," going for $24,000?
Better also check out some of the sales for the early '60's Topps Dice Game HOF'ers, the 1959 Yoo Hoo Mantle (which has certainly appreciated at a higher rate than his '51 Bowman rookie), and the rising prices for even low grade 1939 R303A Ted Williams, compared to the '39 Playball issue. Maybe a T210 Joe Jackson (not mainstream, not even his rookie, at $200,000 plus in modest grade)? Not so long ago, the '25 Exhibit Gehrig was not considered mainstream, either ("it's an Exhibit--they're not real baseball cards--are they?"), but $100,000 for an Ex-Mt (MK) isn't so shabby!

This is the Beckett line of thinking dating back to the early '80's, when the '33 Goudey was labeled Babe Ruth's "rookie." This phenomenon lasts only as long as it takes collectors to gain greater education in the field. In coins, it was the reason why it took longer for rare and significant colonial issues and territorial gold to vastly increase in value. As collectors gain experience and knowledge of their hobby, they tend to expand rather than narrow their horizons.

Best of luck in your collecting,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 05-04-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:24 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
The supposed Republican plan is to significantly reduce the top tax rates for all businesses, not just S-Corps, down to maybe a 15%-20% max tax rate from the current 39%-39.6% max rates now existing for corporate/personal returns. This would supposedly include LLCs, partnerships, and even I believe sole proprietorships, not just corporations and S-Corps. The plans as outlined have just been very general though without any real detail. Not knowing the specifics and details, it is too early to really tell how each and every business type will end up being affected. So don't go running out and doing anything yet till we see what actually ends up getting passed as new tax legislation one day, if anything.

BobC
Old 05-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
My CPA has for years has encouraged me to take this route....my wife has been looking for job opportunities out of state for years also, so I have been reluctant to shell out for the initial cost to set up in my state and then relocate soon after. Each year my CPA lets me know how much I could have saved as an s-corp versus a sole proprietorship and this year it would been about half of what I owed.

To tie this back to the theme of the thread, at some point down the road (hopefully a long time) before I begin to sell off my collection, this is the route I intend to take(if all the current legislation is still in place).
Not sure what state you are currently in, or what state it is that your wife is looking to get a new job in either. In any case, the cost for initially setting up a business in most states isn't really much at all, maybe a couple hundred bucks at most, and you can generally do it yourself online through the Secretary of State's office for where you are currently residing. And then if you ever do end up moving to another state, you can probably just contact the Secretary of State's office in your new locale and ask to register the current business so it can now operate in your new home state. No need to start a brand new business or to shut down the old one at all. And that would initially only cost you a couple hundred dollars or so at the most to register in the new state also.

Of course there are other factors to consider also, such as the type of business/work you are going to have/be performing, are there going to be employees, are you going to have inventory or other assets, etc. and so on. You should always consult with a qualified professional before doing anything like that of course.

Now, as for your CPAs specific idea about saving money by becoming an S-Corp instead of operating as a sole proprietor, I assume he's referring to the fact that you have to pay up to 15.3% of your net income as self-employment tax (social security and Medicare) as a sole proprietor. Whereas, if you elect to become an S-Corp, your distributive share of income from the company is not subject to self-employment taxes at all, right? Just be careful, the IRS has talked about his for years and knows that people purposely do this to escape paying in the self-employment taxes. They supposedly are on the lookout for this and always threaten to start cracking down on companies that do this, especially when the owners are actually performing services/work in the business that otherwise should be subject to self-employment taxes.

BobC