NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-04-2020, 01:02 PM
Josh

Default Johnson/Mathewson/Young. Who do you feel gets the most hobby love?

Who do you guys collect or feel has the most value in this era? Discuss!!
Old 02-04-2020, 01:17 PM
Sean Brennan

I feel Walter Johnson though Matty is very close. I think Matty has a bit of mystique that keeps his value on par with Johnson. Young is up there too but the one thing he lacks is not getting elected in the first hof election that Johnson, Matty, Cobb, Ruth and Speaker recieved. That doesnt mean Young is any worse that's just the only thing I can think of that might lower his value from the others.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:20 PM
Bob Davies

IMO in hobby lore and baseball purists, Matty.

To the average fan, Young, for obvious reasons.

I seem to remember many years ago, WaJo was spoken of in more glorified terms that Matty. But that seems to have shifted (IMO) in the last, say, ten years.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:21 PM
Josh

Very valid point. The way these fellas arms held up and their consistency in a era where batters looked for base hits and to move runners to manufacture runs is really under appreciated.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:42 PM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

If we're talking T206, then I think it's: Young, Matty, then Johnson. It might in part with Young having the highest single card value in his iconic portrait card. I wish Walter had 1 more card in the set to bring him even with Young & Matty at 3 each.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:50 PM
Josh

Default T206 is what I’m collecting but def interested one general discussion also.

I have Dark and White Cap Matty, Glove Showing Young and Ive yet to find the Johnson that fits my tastes and budget. I’ll def be excited to have a copy of each three this year however.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:47 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Matty. He just has the classic look. And the tragic demise.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:50 PM

WaJo is king when it comes to their respective T206's. Matty is beloved by purists but his cards lag behind both in most mainstream contemporary sets where they're all subjects.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:11 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Wajo, he was better.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:07 PM
Rhett Yeakley

WaJo was the best of the trio but I feel like in terms of value he is probably #3 in that group simply due to the differing periods their careers spanned. Young started so early and predated WaJo by almost 20 years so it is tough to compare a roughly 1890-1910 career to one that roughly spanned from 1908-1928. Matty basically bridges the gap between the other 2 & was in New York at the time and was so beloved by the NY media that he has a more romantic feel to his career (especially given his early demise). WaJo was later and is easier to acquire an item of given the time he played, thus a lower demand.

I feel like WaJo should be more appreciated than he is, given that in my opinion he is the greatest pitcher of all time. It feels weird to say it and I certainly don’t mean to be offensive by saying so but Walter Johnson may just be a bit too boring to people. He played in a smaller market for some bad teams, by all accounts wasn’t a mean or nasty individual and was pretty much universally liked by just about everyone. For some athletes that can be a bit of a hinderance, which is strange but true. Also pitchers have always lagged behind position players as far as overall value as it related to collectibles. Even in today’s game/hobby there is no pitcher whose items come anywhere close to having the demand that players like Mike Trout, Ronald Acuna, Derek Jeter or Ken Griffey Jr demand.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 02-04-2020, 06:36 PM
Rob

I would be glad to pick up any of their cards...maybe Plank in there too..."Waterfront" or conerstone cards in the hobby going forward...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t205wajo.jpg (60.6 KB, 639 views)
File Type: jpg t213-3matty165.jpg (47.5 KB, 636 views)
File Type: jpg t206omyounggs080.jpg (67.5 KB, 636 views)
Old 02-04-2020, 06:57 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
I would be glad to pick up any of their cards...maybe Plank in there too..."Waterfront" or conerstone cards in the hobby going forward...
I like that Johnson such a beautiful card. I have the other two in my collection as well and absolutely love them. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:00 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
WaJo was the best of the trio but I feel like in terms of value he is probably #3 in that group simply due to the differing periods their careers spanned. Young started so early and predated WaJo by almost 20 years so it is tough to compare a roughly 1890-1910 career to one that roughly spanned from 1908-1928. Matty basically bridges the gap between the other 2 & was in New York at the time and was so beloved by the NY media that he has a more romantic feel to his career (especially given his early demise). WaJo was later and is easier to acquire an item of given the time he played, thus a lower demand.

I feel like WaJo should be more appreciated than he is, given that in my opinion he is the greatest pitcher of all time. It feels weird to say it and I certainly don’t mean to be offensive by saying so but Walter Johnson may just be a bit too boring to people. He played in a smaller market for some bad teams, by all accounts wasn’t a mean or nasty individual and was pretty much universally liked by just about everyone. For some athletes that can be a bit of a hinderance, which is strange but true. Also pitchers have always lagged behind position players as far as overall value as it related to collectibles. Even in today’s game/hobby there is no pitcher whose items come anywhere close to having the demand that players like Mike Trout, Ronald Acuna, Derek Jeter or Ken Griffey Jr demand.
You really hit the nail on the head with pitchers and position players. Sad but true. Thanks for the feedback. This I feel is spot on.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:45 PM
J0hn Collin$

Guess I need a Matty:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-04-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:39 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
I feel Walter Johnson though Matty is very close. I think Matty has a bit of mystique that keeps his value on par with Johnson. Young is up there too but the one thing he lacks is not getting elected in the first hof election that Johnson, Matty, Cobb, Ruth and Speaker recieved. That doesnt mean Young is any worse that's just the only thing I can think of that might lower his value from the others.
It was Cobb, Ruth, Wagner, Matty, and Walter, in that order.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:31 PM
R0b Sm!th

To me, collectibility:
1. Young
2. Tie between Johnson and Mathewson

Skill level:
1. Johnson
2. Mathewson
3. Young

Last edited by robertsmithnocure; 02-05-2020 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:21 AM
Br.ent So.bie

I think Young is deserving of the most admiration, with Mathewson a close second...
... and Johnson a distant third.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
It was Cobb, Ruth, Wagner, Matty, and Walter, in that order.
Ruth and Wagner tied. I would say Cy Young gets the most hobby love. He wasn't elected in 1936 because there was confusion over the voting. There were 2 votes, pre 1900 players and post 1900 players. The voters were confused over which group Young belonged in and split his vote resulting in him being short in both. Between having the pitching award named for him and his high WAR, I don't see that changing. Wojo is a close 2nd with Matty 3rd.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:28 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Ruth and Wagner tied. I would say Cy Young gets the most hobby love. He wasn't elected in 1936 because there was confusion over the voting. There were 2 votes, pre 1900 players and post 1900 players. The voters were confused over which group Young belonged in and split his vote resulting in him being short in both. Between having the pitching award named for him and his high WAR, I don't see that changing. Wojo is a close 2nd with Matty 3rd.
That's very interesting about the HOF voting. I had no idea...thanks for that!
Old 02-05-2020, 06:40 AM
J0hn Collin$

Anymore in terms of skill / accomplishments / “Greatest pitcher of all time” arguments, Johnson and Mathewson seem to trade 1 & 2 places in lists that you see online, from ESPN or TSN, etc. etc.

If they could switch, and Johnson had played in New York, I don’t think we would even be speculating about who was better. Otherwise him and Mathewson have somewhat similar career numbers. Johnson lasted longer - 21 years vs. Matty’s 17. Johnson’s career ERA is 2.17 to Matty’s 2.13, and if memory serves he is only a few places behind him on the all-time WHIP list. Where Johnson really stands out to me though is in the K’s and the shutout record. He was the first pitcher with more than 3,000 K’s - and 50 plus years later, it was his record that Ryan, Carlton, and Perry were chasing. Johnson had more than 1,000 strikeouts more than Matty, and was the premier strikeout pitcher in an era where granted - that wasn’t really a thing - but clearly it became one. The 110 shutouts is just one of those jaw-dropping things to me, will never come close to being equaled. Pete Alexander had 90, Mathewson is 3rd on that list with 79, Young right behind him with 76.

Certainly nothing against Denton True Young; I think if anyone rivals Nolan Ryan just for the most durable / amazing pitcher of all time - its him. I do think it’s possible just with collectors though - that the fact of his name recognition due to the award gives him a slight advantage over the other 2. I don’t think he was a better pitcher than Matty or Johnson, but he certainly would seem to be a bigger name.

My 2 cents. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-05-2020 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:45 AM
Justin

I agree with the Young, Matty, Johnson order ranking in general.

I think for me personally Matty is #1 for collecting (cards, photos, etc) because I'm subconsciously trying to make up for the fact I'll probably never own his autograph.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jcosta19; 02-05-2020 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:45 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post

... and Johnson a distant third.

Distant? Why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2020, 07:29 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Should be WaJo, but it's Matty.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:41 AM
Scott Russell

Am I crazy? Doesn't the Johnson routinely sell for more than any of the Mattys?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-05-2020, 01:31 PM
Josh

Default From what I see this seems correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Am I crazy? Doesn't the Johnson routinely sell for more than any of the Mattys?
A lot of great points and solid reasoning above. The trend I see lately as well is the Johnson cards a premium over the Mathewson cards.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:17 PM
Josh

Quote:
I was unaware of this as well. Thanks for the info. Keep it coming I’m interested in the varying opinions.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:23 PM

A T206 WaJo portrait will outsell a Cy Young as well. I'm not really seeing the counter argument for any seeding other than WaJo / Young / Matty.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:03 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:

Wow! Love learning something new. This should be a bonus question on some baseball trivia game.

Young
WaJo
Matty

They all studs, but that would be my order
Old 02-26-2020, 06:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I agree with this list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Wow! Love learning something new. This should be a bonus question on some baseball trivia game.

Young
WaJo
Matty

They all studs, but that would be my order
Old 02-26-2020, 11:26 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
A T206 WaJo portrait will outsell a Cy Young as well. I'm not really seeing the counter argument for any seeding other than WaJo / Young / Matty.
This is because you are looking at a single set...believe it or not there is more to pre-WW2 cards than the T206 set. Crazy, but true!

Keep in mind the T206 set is from the earliest part of Walter Johnson's career while it is Cy Young's 20th year in Major League baseball, it would make sense that the card of a young superstar player would command more than the last card of another superstar. Even Christy Mathewson had items that predate the T206 set by 8 years. I would expect the T206 of a young WaJo to outperform the other two.

Looking at a single set and trying to extrapolate from that is too facile a comparison to get a true idea for relative value/demand.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 02-27-2020, 05:47 AM
Eric Bea.chley

I think if you walked up to the average baseball fan who knows about the history of the game, and told them you had an opportunity to buy one of their cards, without being specific, they would suggest Johnson, then Young, then Mathewson. Young gets a huge boost because of the award named after him.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:43 AM
Bi11..R0berts

I'd say:

1) Matty
2) WaJo
3) Young

However, its real close between Matty & WaJo - neither is lacking in regards to their fair share of love within the hobby.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 07-14-2020, 12:38 PM
Josh

This is a great thread. I’m bringing it back up for further discussion in today’s crazy market.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:35 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default The Trio in Gold borders

Pictures posted randomly, But I'm going to go with this order:

WAJO
MATTY
YOUNG

Why?

Walter Johnson was the best right-handed pitcher of all time according to my polling. I was the only one to respond.

Christy Mathewson has the classic story, a great great pitcher, sad ending.

Cy Young is third in this grouping , check out that dude's losses
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T205Young10.JPG (27.6 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg T205Johnson30.JPG (26.1 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg T205Mathewson.JPG (26.9 KB, 169 views)

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:13 AM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
Pictures posted randomly, But I'm going to go with this order:

WAJO
MATTY
YOUNG

Why?

Walter Johnson was the best right-handed pitcher of all time according to my polling. I was the only one to respond.

Christy Mathewson has the classic story, a great great pitcher, sad ending.

Cy Young is third in this grouping , check out that dude's losses
Logic makes since to me. I know Young averaged 12 loses per season and over 300 career losses, I believe. Something to be said for longevity some say but I also think Wajo was the best. I agree with the order field dominance wise.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:36 AM

In Order By Collectible Material:

Mr Mathewson
Mr Cy Young
Mr Johnson

i am Biased Though... Which Only means that i am Biased!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Matty Police Gassett_1.jpg (74.5 KB, 90 views)
Old 07-17-2020, 11:06 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Head to head, so to speak, in T206 portraits:

Young
Johnson
Mathewson

Johnson was the best pitcher of the three.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-17-2020, 01:50 PM

Not speaking of how others view these 3 great picthers, but this is who gets most of my hobby love based upon what is available in vintage cards within my favorite card era and issued during their playing careers:

Mathewson - probably my favorite period of baseball cards is the 1910 era (1908-1915), due to some great artistry seen, but also because there are so many different issues that were produced, with tobacco, candy and gum, bakery and so on. Christy was at the height of his career, and so is featured in many sets. This makes him my #1.

Johnson - Walter was a relative upstart when the 1908-1915 era began, but managed to make his way into many of the tobacco sets of this period. He also has the advantage of being in many of the strip card and black and white photo issues of the 1920's. If looking at overall availability, he may be tops, but his presence is sorely lacking in the early candy and gum issues which I really like (the only 1910 E card set he is in is the E91C American Caramel, and that facial image is actually of Rube Waddell). So he comes in a close second.

Young - He is pictured in a variety of the 1910 era sets, but not quite as many as Matty due to it being at the tail end of his career (and the disheartening fact that multiple cards picturing Irv Young are designated as Cy Young). He does have the advantage of being in earlier issues such as the E107 set. But of the 3 he has the fewest available different cards during his career, so he lags behind in 3rd according to my guidelines.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 07-17-2020 at 02:11 PM. Reason: had 'pictures' instead of 'pitchers' and 'tale' instead of 'tail'...the english language makes me oy vey!