NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-06-2013, 08:35 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Am I crazy for liking...

raw cards??? In my vintage baseball card collection most of my stars are slabbed, and most of my commons are raw. However, when shopping for cards, '57 Topps for example, I find myself looking at and liking raw cards, even the stars. I know that if I had to sell, graded would be better, and sometimes I see the same card--one graded, one slabbed--for about the same money. I feel nuts for wanting to buy the raw card.

Example: 1957 Topps Berra #2. I see a PSA 7 (not centered all that well L/R) for $136. At the same time, I see a raw Berra that looks pretty sharp and centered much better for $148. It is called EXMT by the seller.

I know we are all mortal and someday my wife and daughters might want to sell and a largely graded collection would make that easier. But the fact remains, I like them in their natural state.

I know threads like this have been done...a lot, but I can never quite make a decision. I just can't quite shake the feeling I am making a bad decision buying raw when, for a little more, I could have a card slabbed. But it isn't about the money for me...I am a collector not a dealer. I have no reason to think I would have to sell, but you never know.

Thoughts???
Old 07-06-2013, 09:03 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I am 62 and recently (last year) fought off cancer. It did make me realize my mortality and I have since been selling off raw and downsizing my collection to graded cards, as my heir doesn't know or care about baseball. Dave. ps I hope to enjoy my cards well into my 80's or better.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:07 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Dave, I am glad you won out over cancer. My dad is a survivor, too. Happy collecting.

Robert
Old 07-07-2013, 05:41 AM
Al Richter

Default Cards

Robert-- I have been collecting Topps baseball cards since 1957. I have a full set run ,1948 and 1951 to 2013, and am happy to say that with one or two exceptions, all of my cards are ungraded and displayed in easy to access binders.

And my cards are not "raw". They are cards in their natural free state, rather than imprisoned in plastic and stamped with an opinion about them by someone who knows less about them than me. :-)

Dave-- I am also 62 and had cancer in 2005. Keep on trucking. I am thinking of having my cards cremated with me.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:23 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Al, hats off to you too for overcoming cancer.

Regarding your collection, how would you characterize your approach? I mean is most of your stuff high, mid, or lower grade? Either way, very impressive! Point taken regarding "raw" vs "natural". Thanks

Robert
Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Steve

To each his own, and I certainly can't criticize anyone's personal point of view on it, but if a classic car dealer offered me a choice of a 1957 Chevy in good running condition and another encased in a giant plastic cube at the same price, I would have to go with the unslabbed car.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:58 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
...the unslabbed car.
Haha!! Good stuff!!

I realize that grading cards is becoming more and more the wave of the future. Unfortunately, you can't get around it and if I ever plan on selling my collection, I'm going to have to get the big guys graded.

With that said, all my sets--1957 to 1979, in varying degrees of completeness--are ungraded (I freakin' hate the term 'raw'!!!! Drives me bananas!!!!!). If I find a graded card that fits what I need at the right price, I'll sometimes buy it and add it to my trade bait, not including it as a hit to my need list.

As others have said before, I love feeling my cards, sniffing that aroma of cardboard and everything that goes with it...and enjoying them! Having a card in a slab is like visiting your uncle in prison. There's something very unnatural and uncomfortable about it.

Plus, if I see a card in great shape and it looks awesome to me, why does it suddenly increase in value and prestige when the very same card is entombed in a slab??? Nothing has changed with said card. It's still the exact same card it was before it was graded.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Patrick N.

Default Sub $100

For cards worth under $100, yes I prefer raw. But over that, I like (more) safety/security that a trained eye has determined the card is authentic/unaltered. For example, would rather pay $20 for this raw Aparicio (raw) than a graded a 6 or 7 that costs atleast that much.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Wes

90% of my collection is natural. Im mostly into 50s 60s 70s Topps, Bowman. Im in my 30s, and had to learn and study about those issued cards for a few years, and I pretty much know how, when, and if to let go of my money for those cards. Over the past couple years, I have dabbled in pre war, obviously a different beast. I am still learning, and thanks largely to net54, I have vastly increased my knowledge on pre war type issues, their value, scarcity, etc.

But for collecting, buying early 20th century cardboard, I do often seek refuge in the slabs. Especially if I am considering dropping a couple hundred bucks. I dont value the grade, I value authenticity for my purchase. At least until (God willing) I learn enough to be as comfortable buying natural pre war as I currently do with post war.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-09-2013, 12:10 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Occasionally I'll buy a graded card, but as soon as it arrives I free it!

I'm putting together a '57 set and LOVE the 'raw' nature of it!