NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-02-2006, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Default vintagecardprices.com

Posted By: Robert

Because of the annoncement of another site and other people complaining about them hijacking a site that everybody seems to enjoy I am making this post. Right now it is not up but will be in the near future and I just wanted to give you a heads up on what this site is going to be all about.

We have been collecting prices on cards sold in auctions for almost a year now along with images of every possible card we can find. Currently we have almost 300 pre-war sets in our database comprising of about 25,000 individual cards. Each card will be it's own page that will include a picture, and information pertaining to that individual card. There is also the option to let the members post comments about every card so that we can share information with eachother. And a nice feature is if you want to ask the person who posted more about that card you will be able to contact them through our internal mail system so they can respond to you directly. When that is done they recieve a email to come to the site to check their personal mail box.

Our data is collected with the following rules: the card must be graded by PSA, GAI or SGC only and no qualifiers. It has to be an auction with more then 1 bid on it and no BIN's (Buy it now) are included. We must have a visual of the card to verify the card is correct, this takes people and you can not right a program because to many auctions posted are deceiving. Each card will have a capacity to hold the records of the last 250 auctions realized for that individual card. This data can be sorted by you by the following categories, by grading company (PSA, SGC or GAI), latest, Highest first and so on...

Player searches will be by last name and you can choose the player you are looking for and then upon choosing you will get a list of every card available for that person. We felt this was a nice feature because so many people post in this forum to find out what cards are available for player and this is a nice way to find out.

Your collection can be added to the site in detail listed by grading company and grade and the site will add the value of the card. It will be updated everytime time there is a another sale recorded for that exact same card.

There are two types of members Limited and VIP. Limited members are free and get access to everything on the site and full participation for posting, the only thing they will not have access to is the prices realized and the collection feature. VIP's will pay a small monthly or yearly fee and get access to prices, collection feature and commnets on the cards.

These are only some of the things and there is more. Our goal is to eventually get a image of every card up on the site which is a huge undertaking. Anyone in this forum that would like to help and supply us with images to share would get some benefits as well as sharing to our community of card collectors.

I would like to get a few individuals to contact me so when ready I can have them test the site for functionality and content.

We look forward to building the ultimate site for the collecting community and have put in some features to let you help us in maintaining that the data is correct.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

So there are two new services coming out at roughly the same time? Who knew there was such a demand! Good luck to both of you, but my guess is that only one or none will be around in 2-3 years.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

As you were clearly targeting us, let's clarify something. Wayne Delia's site was not hijacked. He is a part of our group. As we mentioned, it is being ported over to our system. When it is done, it will be available to the public and for free. Our checklist feature will also be free. You can reach me directly at ted@cardpricer.com & Wayne can be reached at wayne@cardpricer.com.

Sincerely,
Theodore Golden

CardPricer.com

Old 02-02-2006, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Cmoking,

You are right it all depends on the reaction from the membership if there is a following then they will survive. It is expensive to build a site like this and have the staff to maitain it. Along with costs of servers and bandwith to add just a few. But I think it is a valuable service for collecters and dealers out there so they can figure accuratley the value of there cards. Not to mention all of the other featurs that art being provided.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Administrator

It does seem you both have good ideas, and I do think there is a good chance it will work. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all shakes out. Good luck to both!

Old 02-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

I think it will be a valuable tool for the vintage collecting community....expecially due to the lack of a good readily available price guide (other than ebay's closed auctions) that can be accessible anytime (I end up going through past auction catalogs, prices realized, web searchin etc) for a wide range of card sets and individual cards in those sets. The sites will be great for research of players, rarity of a card, how often it comes up for sale, etc.

I look forward to seeing the featues of both.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

But is there a ballpark figure yet for how much this will cost. The service sounds like an excellent one, but I can't even bring myself to buy a scanner because it eats into my card budget. I keep thinking, well, I can get a scanner or I can get and E90 Bobby Wallace. Bobby Wallace (or some such other card) always wins. Sheesh, it takes me a long time to ask a simple question, no?

--Chad

Old 02-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Administrator

The prices for the site to have full access to the prices realized will be to start:

Monthly $9.95
Yearly $99.95

This is to start as the memerbship increases to reach certain milestones we will decrease the price as we get there.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

$99 is the fee that PSA charges for one year, and while you do get grading privileges, the prices you get from the SMR are woefully behind the times. Seems like this is a fair price. I would start with a one month trial, and if it is as good as it sounds, go for the year.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Administrator

I'll give it a trial for sure. Excellent.

--Chad

Old 02-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

I have as little time available as the next guy, but if you contact me at identify7@aol.com and give me an assignment of a set or set segment to try to get all the scans for (or is it of?), I will do what I can.

I guess it is neither. You shouldn't end a sentence with a prononial dangling preposition, unless followed by c.

Old 02-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Somebody mentioned about having 60 days to pull history form EBAY and that service they are offering is more expensive for one and 60 days is not enough time to cover the values of cards because some cards do not sell very often, Secondly, our service covers all the other major auctions.

Old 02-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

The more data you accumulate, the more accurate the pricing. That's how you can get ahead of the competition.

Old 02-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

Will we be getting the closing prices of the day?

Old 02-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Administrator

The prices on EBAY will be that day because the system will directly communicate with EBAY and be able to update them as they end. Other Auctions have to be entered manually and will usually be done a day or two after the auction has ended. When you look up a card for pricing you will be given the following information:

Date: When the auction ended
Auction: The name of where it sold
Grader: GAI, PSA or SGC
Grade: Auth to 10
Price: Final price including any auction fees, no shipping.
Extra: We added this feature for Back indications and special circumstances.

Again you will be able to sort this information as you would like be the methods mentioned earlier in the thread.

Old 02-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Administrator

And I'm a collector, not an investor.

Old 02-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett

Same here, i just collect the, not sell them.

Old 02-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Collectors still need a way to judge the price of a card that they will be buying. You can use our information to see how much the card sold for before to judge how much you would be willing to bid in a currect auction.

Old 02-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Collectors need to know fair value prices so they don't get ripped off. These services sounds like they are a possible way to help collectors with that. They may or may not be worth it though...we shall see.

Old 02-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

I'm confused. Auction prices are free, open to the public, and easily traceable to any collector. Hope I'm not out of line here, but what is it about your accumilation of card pricing info that would make one inclined to pay a monthly/yearly fee for it?

Old 02-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Ben,

Yes you can track the prices yourself and spend hours a day doing if you would like. What if a card comes up that you have not seen in months that you become interested in buying. You can use the other guides that you and I both know are completely out of touch (PSA says a T206 common grade 7 is $200+) you can't even get a 6 now a days for that and 7's are going for $700-1500 range. We also give prices on all grades and don't stop at 4 like the rest. Is it worth your time going over every auction and tracking prices when you could pay a small fee and find what you need with a few clicks of your mouse?

Old 02-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Administrator

"easily traceable to any collector"

That is what they are banking on is not true. Maybe it is easily traceable by you because you have the skills and knowledge of where to look...and you have the time and energy and interest to go look (I'm in the same boat as you)...but for those that aren't in that position, maybe it is worthwhile for them to pay for the service. That's probably their customer base, not probably not you or I.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Administrator

There are old collectors, new collectors and then we have the investors.

This old collector has probably handled more cards over the years, and been to more shows all over the country than you ever dreamed of.
This collector probably could have prevented the Rosen, Keith O. and the graders Doyle fiasco back in 2001.
This collector handled and owned a real Doyle, and two altered Doyles back in 1990.
This collector did an extensive research into telling the difference between the good and the evil Doyle. .... my money and pelotas were at stake. .... it's amazing how inspirational that can be.

Robert, this collector loves to do research, getting into the trenches and digging for the missing pieces of the puzzle. .... that's the fun part of MY HOBBY.

Not only can I grade my own cards, I can tell you what they are. ... something some graders have a problem doing.

The internet is a wonderful thing.
The service that you guys are working on also has merit, and I wish you luck.

I may be wrong, but I see more tapping of other brains, than actual digging from the new collectors/investors. ... not that there's anything wrong with that.
In which case, your service might fit the bill.

To even think that the service will be at the top of the price changes would be ludicrous.

The investors have given this hobby a stock market mindset.

What's up today, may be down tomorrow.

What's hot today, could be ice tea tomorrow.

I sincerely wish you guys luck in your venture.

Joe P.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Joe,

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas but it seems that people think this site is only about prices. What every one is missing is I am attempting to make it so that everyone can have access to the knowledge that people like you possess and can share through our system. You can post comments and what you know about the Doyle card so that every one can learn what you have to teach. The same goes for every card every made that we are aware of, people are making new discoveries all the time and this site will let them pass it on. There are 1000's fo cards out there that nobody has ever seen and it would be nice if a site like this can at least bring an image to anyone who would like to know what it looks like.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

I don’t think it’s for me but one never knows. I do a pretty good job of keeping track of prices. If I over pay for a card its generally one I really want, and hopefully by the time I sell my cards or card I will have gotten out of the hole.

This whole thing reminds me of the computer business in the early days. Back in the day people use to share information, knowledge, programs and even hardware for free. There was a community pile of information that was available, some people shared more than others. Until one day when a few people decided to not share and charge for software/programs etc. Then the open computer community went bust and became a real business not a hobby.

Nothing wrong with capitalism making money is a good thing, but you can’t avoid how some people will feel slighted for someone else profiting off his or her knowledge.

As for the 2 programs which was first to the market Ted’s or Roberts? Could we have the makings of a new Apple Microsoft rivalry here!

Old 02-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: t206King

I dunno i'm with Ben on this one. why pay to view listings of past auctions. ebay and alot of other auction houses have records of all this and able FREE to the public. A 100 bucks a year can buy u a vary nice E card for sure. i see this as a money grabber. just my opinion

Old 02-03-2006, 04:44 AM
Administrator

Is probably what is least interesting about this service to me, tho it's not without its merits. I like that I can keep track of my collection, learn about obscure issues and, most importantly, keep track of all this at work which is by far the bulk of the time I spend on line. It will sure beat staring at a spreadsheet. For ten bucks a month, I'll get my entertainment's worth. What I'll be looking to see is how proactive this site will be with uncatalogued or newly discovered cards. That's the gold mine for me.

--Chad

Old 02-03-2006, 08:56 AM
Administrator

I believe that a review of pre-war card sales will provide me additional insight on how thinly many issues are traded. That information could be an indication of weak pricing, specific card and set rarity, general hobby disinterest, and other factors.

I anticipate the availability of this utility yielding a simplification and an enhancement over the looking up of cards and sets through a price guide, and I hope this tool will eliminate the necessity for those bulky guides which contain too much shiney stuff in the way.

$10 for a look see? Lets do it now, it doesn't have to be complete yet. But if you can tell me how many OJ Con Dalys have changed hands compared to Fred Pfeffers during the past few years, I sure can use that information. The same would apply to Batter Up Joe Medwicks compared to Dizzy Deans, etc.

And there are so many other ways to analyze this data, once it becomes available. Whew. IMHO the time is ripe.

Or maybe I just don't understand.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Administrator

This will make niche collecting easier, for sure. Being able to see every set with, say, a Luke Easter or a Bill Doak card will save me a lot of time and effort.

Now, the question:

Any chance of getting foreign issues, especially Japanese stuff onto the site. having a forum to exchange info with other collectors of Japanese stuff, especially trying to figure out many of the mysterious bromide issues, would be invaluable.

--Chad

Old 02-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: t206King

i dont see why someone has to pay for a service thats free thats all. also if this site only have ebay etc etc online auctions?? if it does its not worth it

Old 02-03-2006, 10:05 AM
Administrator

What is free T206 King?

If you want a list of all the Ruth cards with their current prices - who ya gonna call?

Vintage Card Busters!

Old 02-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Administrator

T206King,

How is getting the information FREE, it is time and time is money....if you like to track auctions and sort through every auction to verfiy the information then great. We are supplying a service that will let you do it quicker and easier. I am sure there will be some bugs at first because we are dealing with a large database that will have errors. But it is being built in a way that the members will be able to notify us of the errors so that we can correct it so that it works for everybody. So far we have put together almost 300 checklist from pre-war alone with over 25,000 data entry's that are broken down into 6 fields that now makes over 150,000. It will be a few months of running but one of the best features of the site is being able to bring up every card the Wally Schang is on in his career or any obscure person.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

"i dont see why someone has to pay for a service thats free thats all"

The market will decide -- its what makes a free economy a great thing.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: nbrazil

I think it's a good idea. Im not sure how extensive you will be (i.e. covering all auctions), but it's a good idea considering that the market, especially in pre war, does not really reflect any current price guide. I think for experienced collectors..it may not be a great thing because they already have a good sense of what is overpriced or not (plus, i can understand the sentiment of doing your own research...that's always been a part of the hobby). But for novice and collectors who dont have a lot of time to do tons of research...this is a good service. It will definitely make a lot of dealers who sell primarily through shows and shops a little angry because now collectors have a better gauge of what is available (and their prices) on the auction market compared to what is usually the overpriced stuff that is available at shows. Maybe do a free month trial...especially if, as you stated, there will be flaws at the beginning.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Not everyone subscribes to Old Cardboard magazine or pays to have someone mow their lawn. If someone doesn't want to subscribe that is fine and if another person wants to subscribe that's fine too. Neither has to justify their choice if they don't want to.

Personally, I wouldn't pay for a lawn service, but I live in a big city condo and my lawn consists of potted plants on a deck. However, I do pay $1.25 to ride the bus instead of having to park a car downtown.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Administrator

I remember when my hobby was a Hobby.
SIGH.