NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

Default PSA Mistake- Graded Exhibit reprints on ebay

Hi all, not sure where to start but on ebay currently are a group of High Grade Exhibits graded by PSA that are reprints. Not sure what can be done but I dont want anyone burnt buying these. First off I am a collector of exhibits and a group of them were reprinted in the 1970's, the reprinted cards used different paper stock and the cards were on Grey or White stock not the usual cream/tan stock. You can also tell by the photo quality which is much less than the orginal. Here is a photo of two fakes with an orginal stock (Doby) in the middle -

Here are the auctions with the fakes, I had the seller send me a scan of the backs as I suspected they were fakes, seller has no idea and is trusting PSA's grading of them-

Scan from seller-

http://cgi.ebay.com/1947-1966-EXHIBI...item2ea8b087f9

http://cgi.ebay.com/1947-1966-EXHIBI...item2ea8b09d0a

http://cgi.ebay.com/1947-1966-EXHIBI...item2ea8b0a007

http://cgi.ebay.com/1947-1966-EXHIBI...item2ea8bb0325

http://cgi.ebay.com/1947-1966-EXHIBI...item2ea8b093ac

I understand that mistakes happen but this is a pretty big one in my eyes and I hope something happens with it.

Scott

I posted this on the CU boards to make them aware also.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Dan Lundrigan

Good eye! I would never had suspected them just from the front of the cards the back of the cards are a dead givaway.

Looking for an Exhibit Salutation of Johnny Rizzo!
Old 10-30-2009, 09:44 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

Here is the reply I got from the seller-

Scott,

I respectfully disagree with your assessment for the following reasons:

1) The cards were purchased in the late 1970s/ early 1980s by me (the reprints were issued sometime during the 1990s)

2) According to the SCD Standard Catalog the reprints are "too white" on the back (the cards I'm selling clearly do not have a white back).

3) Not only has PSA confirmed their authenticity, but two of the cards were also accepted by an auction site as authentic for their December auction.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Mike
Old 10-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtjoy View Post
two of the cards were also accepted by an auction site as authentic for their December auction.
I doubt the auction site gave them a second look once they were slabbed. Perhaps Mike should let the auction house know and get them to look them over.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtjoy View Post
Here is the reply I got from the seller-

Scott,

I respectfully disagree with your assessment for the following reasons:

1) The cards were purchased in the late 1970s/ early 1980s by me (the reprints were issued sometime during the 1990s)

2) According to the SCD Standard Catalog the reprints are "too white" on the back (the cards I'm selling clearly do not have a white back).

3) Not only has PSA confirmed their authenticity, but two of the cards were also accepted by an auction site as authentic for their December auction.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Mike
Unfortunately HIS reasons don't hold water. It's like saying .....well, since PSA graded them AND an auction house accepted some for an auction then they must be real. That is a potentially false statement. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:15 AM
And.rew Whi.te

I remember buying a ton of exibits back in the late 70's and early 80's and they all had the "cream" colored backs. It was generally a given that anything that didnt have these types of backs were reprints. I know grading companies make mistakes but its a very well known general rule in the hobby that anything but non-cream colored backs are reprints. I dont want to bash PSA but..................
Old 10-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Jimmy M

I'm definitely with Scott on this one - I believe they're fake also. Note: I'm not an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:09 PM
Chris Counts

Default Exhibits

Scott, thanks for the list ...
Old 10-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Richard Cline

This is what the hobby should truly be about, collectors such as Scott and Mike who took a bad situation and have fixed it to the best of their combined abilities.

No name-calling, etc.... and also PSA stepping up to rectify the situation.

Very refreshing.

RC
Old 10-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Al

Nice job by everyone involved.

-Al
Old 10-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Dan Bretta

Isn't it at least a little bit alarming that PSA slabbed 10 exhibit cards that are universally known to have been reprinted on gray cardboard in the early 80's? I don't collect exhibits, but even I knew that....not only that, but I won a stack of exhibits from Hunt auctions a few years back that had about 5 or 6 of the reprints in it and immediately upon inspection of them I could tell they were not period.

I'm sorry, and I know that PSA does a large volume, but you pay for their service and when stuff like that gets through it makes me think the stuff that is a bit harder to detect is probably slipping through as well. They should not have anyone working for them that is not well versed in this hobby.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default nice outcome

That was a nice outcome and showed a lot of integrity with the seller in this situation. I will save my other thoughts for another thread. I don't want to tarnish what Scott and the seller did, which is very comendable on both sides. Great job guys......