NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Eye appeal greatly affects market value. Since 2015, cards with superior eye appeal, highlighted by the PWCC Certified High End brand, have realized prices 65% higher than market value on average. A complete download of all PWCC-HE sales and related statistics is available on PWCC Marketplace website.

The premium paid for cards with superior eye appeal and highlighted by the PWCC-HE designation reveals an investment trend largely in its infancy. As a key investment variable, the eye appeal of a vintage trading card seems destined to have an increasingly significant impact on market value for the foreseeable future. Investors are encouraged to take notice of this topic and invest accordingly.

THIS IS A QUOTE FROM PWCC

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-07-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:21 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
When I see the cards I want for my collection, next time, then the grades won't matter. I will pay multiples of regular value for the right ones. I suspect many other collectors might do the same thing. Not too, too long ago I remember bidding around 5k on a PSA 1 T205 Cobb.....which is about 4-5x the value of a regular one. It was a great card and I should have gone higher. So 10k for a really great looking 3k-4k card doesn't surprise me that much.
Great post. I agree with your suspicions that many more collectors are bidding like this today.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

We learned nothing from 2016 prices, it seems. People defended off the charts prices then and will defend off the charts prices now.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-06-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:39 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
We learned nothing from 2016 prices, it seems. People defended off the charts prices then and will defend off the charts prices now.
There are lessons to be learned, for sure, but I don't believe the premise that a 5-figure Cy Young 5 is akin to a 6-figure Clemente 8.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:43 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I think there are fewer players in the deeper end of the pool than people appreciate. If two or three of them decide there is something they must have prices can go nuts very quickly. Same thing if some extraordinary rich dude decides he wants to start spending money on cards with both hands. I think the introduction of new rich guys - who don’t know about historical valuation and really doesn’t give a whit - can really change things quickly.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
There are lessons to be learned, for sure, but I don't believe the premise that a 5-figure Cy Young 5 is akin to a 6-figure Clemente 8.
Sam, the 2016 run up involved plenty of cards in 4 and 5 figures. I'm not sure what's happening now -- I was quite sure back in 2016 because it was so obvious and pervasive -- I only note my skepticism when cards suddenly go off the rails.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-06-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:48 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I think there are fewer players in the deeper end of the pool than people appreciate. If two or three of them decide there is something they must have prices can go nuts very quickly. Same thing if some extraordinary rich dude decides he wants to start spending money on cards with both hands. I think the introduction of new rich guys - who don’t know about historical valuation and really doesn’t give a whit - can really change things quickly.
This is certainly a possibility...as are other scenarios.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:26 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
And the same thing was at one point or another said about:
Beanie Babies
Hot Wheels / Matchbox cars
Precious Moments figurines
Antique miniature trains
Cabbage Patch kids
All those limited edition plates
Tons of Franklin Mint stuff

Just because someone says it doesn't make it so.

It's impossible to deny that in the past 3-4 years specifically, the talk of "alternative asset class" and "investment portfolio of cards" has reached a whole new crescendo.

Yes, it's increased lately, and with more flowery language.

But the number of people who were expecting to put their kids through college on their holdings of 1990 cards was really large. And buying lots of 100 or 500 or more of the "can't miss" rookies was a thing in at least the early 80's.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:32 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
Wow, you're a tough grader. I would put those corners at a solid 5. The lower right is the only one that has me thinking. I've seen a lot worse and few better for the grade (assuming no other significant detractors).

I suppose I should send all the ones that got 4s from SGC to PSA. I might do really well.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have spent time ensuring I didnt overpay to find the perfect card at the perfect price only to find out i waited so long... so perfectly that the prices went up that if i hadnt done so wrt to the price i would have came out ahead. Pull the trigger is my motto at this point on THE card. If you have to wait out the justification....eh. No problem. I am a collecter.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:57 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Eye appeal greatly affects market value. Since 2015, cards with superior eye appeal, highlighted by the PWCC Certified High End brand, have realized prices 65% higher than market value on average. A complete download of all PWCC-HE sales and related statistics is available on PWCC Marketplace website.

The premium paid for cards with superior eye appeal and highlighted by the PWCC-HE designation reveals an investment trend largely in its infancy. As a key investment variable, the eye appeal of a vintage trading card seems destined to have an increasingly significant impact on market value for the foreseeable future. Investors are encouraged to take notice of this topic and invest accordingly.
Quote:
These posts appear to be on opposite sides of the issue. Did someone just pay over market value for this card because of the exceptional eye appeal? Or are you saying these are being run up like the 50s and 60s HOF rcs were? I would lean towards the former but have noticed a big jump t206 prices the last year or two.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:59 AM

1. It's Cy Young
2. It's T206
3. It's a Portrait Pose
4. It's a stellar example for the grade (I wouldn't think twice if this was in a 5.5 or 6 holder).

I think Cy has actually been undervalued for years...now it's turn to get a light shined on him (like we've previously seen on Cobb, WaJo, Matty). Speaker, Lajoie on deck.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 12-07-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:05 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Yes, it's increased lately, and with more flowery language.

But the number of people who were expecting to put their kids through college on their holdings of 1990 cards was really large. And buying lots of 100 or 500 or more of the "can't miss" rookies was a thing in at least the early 80's.
None of the above were collected by 50 year old + financially set rich men. Not many filthy rich dudes on Wall Street or in Silicon Valley were collecting Beanie Babies or match box cars.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 12-07-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:01 AM
D P M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
1. It's Cy Young
2. It's T206
3. It's a Portrait Pose
4. It's a stellar example for the grade (I wouldn't think twice if this was in a 5.5 or 6 holder).

I think Cy has actually been undervalued for years...now it's turn to get a light shined on him (like we've previously seen on Cobb, WaJo, Matty). Speaker, Lajoie on deck.
Lajoie has seen insane price increases. It wasn't long ago that was an 85.00 card as a 1. Now you can't touch one under 200.00.

Speaker saw a small jump a few months back and has really cooled off.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:31 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
None of the above were collected by 50 year old + financially set rich men. Not many filthy rich dudes on Wall Street or in Silicon Valley were collecting Beanie Babies or match box cars.

The original statement was that it's only been in the "last few" years that cards have been considered and investment.

to me last few is somewhere around 5 years give or take maybe a couple.

Here's a pretty serious article about collectibles as an investment from 1999 sadly behind a paywall.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/2647019...n_tab_contents

Grading companies were started mostly to attract the guys with big money. Enough people wanted to collect, wanted quality, but didn't want to spend a lot of valuable time learning how to tell what was great and what was average. PSA got into it around 1990? 91?
So roughly 28 years ago.

From 2012, the toy boat collector in the article had been collecting for 30 years. And it seems wasn't exactly short of cash...
https://www.cnbc.com/2014/04/11/inve...ible-toys.html
Old 12-07-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
1. It's Cy Young
2. It's T206
3. It's a Portrait Pose

Michael, let me give you some context....

The other night, four (4) very nice looking, mid-grade, common-back, T206 HOF portraits sold for relatively massive amounts. Listed below is the card, its grade, what it sold for, and -- according to VCP -- what the highest that card in that grade has every sold for, at auction (I dont trust all "BIN"s), prior to the other night's auction:

Frank Chance Red, PSA 6, sold for: $1,851- Prior Highest PSA 6 Sale: $1,365 (Memory Lane, 5/6/17)** (a 35.6% increase)
Christy Mathewson, PSA 5, sold for: $6,200- Prior Highest PSA 5 Sale: $3,600 (REA, 5/6/18) (a 72.2% increase)
Walter Johnson, PSA 5, sold for: $7,713- Prior Highest PSA 5 Sale: $3,608 (PWCC, 6/8/16) (a 113% increase)
Cy Young, PSA 5, sold for: $10,010- Prior Highest PSA 5 Sale: $4,000 (PWCC 9/8/15) (a 150% increase)

** Note that the same exact Chance card, in an SGC 6 flip, was sold at a PWCC auction 11/12/17 for $1,007 (an 83.8% increase in 1 year and a cross from SGC to PSA)

I dont know why these four cards, and specifically the Wajo and Young, both of which sold for double their prior record high, went for so much. But these results are not normal. These are not uncommon cards, even with great eye appeal. Perhaps Mr. Deep Pockets did show up to this auction and didn't mind spending $10k for a previously $3500 card. But remember it took at least two bidders to get these cards to where they sold. Also, you would expect that someone (Mr. Deep Pockets), who was in a position to (over)spend $10k on a card, would be wise enough to know that $10k was a wee-bit steep compared to all prior sales going back to 2008 (and even if they don't have VCP, they can go on ebay, or PSA, or google it -- the info is out there).

Look, maybe there are plausible, innocent, or market-based explanations for this. Indeed, I sure hope so. Or maybe there was foul play. All i can tell you is keep your eyes wide open because it is VERY noteworthy when relatively common cards sell for 100%+ all prior sales.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 12-07-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:05 AM
pete ullman

It is also interesting to note that numerous opinions on here come from people who own/are affiliated with AH’s or who derive income from the hobby think this is all normal and natural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Michael, let me give you some context....

The other night, four (4) very nice looking, mid-grade, common-back, T206 HOF portraits sold for relatively massive amounts. Listed below is the card, its grade, what it sold for, and -- according to VCP -- what the highest that card in that grade has every sold for, at auction (I dont trust all "BIN"s), prior to the other night's auction:

Frank Chance Red, PSA 6, sold for: $1,851- Prior Highest PSA 6 Sale: $1,365 (Memory Lane, 5/6/17)** (a 35.6% increase)
Christy Mathewson, PSA 5, sold for: $6,200- Prior Highest PSA 5 Sale: $3,600 (REA, 5/6/18) (a 72.2% increase)
Walter Johnson, PSA 5, sold for: $7,713- Prior Highest PSA 5 Sale: $3,608 (PWCC, 6/8/16) (a 113% increase)
Cy Young, PSA 5, sold for: $10,010- Prior Highest PSA 5 Sale: $4,000 (PWCC 9/8/15) (a 150% increase)

** Note that the same exact Chance card, in an SGC 6 flip, was sold at a PWCC auction 11/12/17 for $1,007 (an 83.8% increase in 1 year and a cross from SGC to PSA)

I dont know why these four cards, and specifically the Wajo and Young, both of which sold for double their prior record high, went for so much. But these results are not normal. These are not uncommon cards, even with great eye appeal. Perhaps Mr. Deep Pockets did show up to this auction and didn't mind spending $10k for a previously $3500 card. But remember it took at least two bidders to get these cards to where they sold. Also, you would expect that someone (Mr. Deep Pockets), who was in a position to (over)spend $10k on a card, would be wise enough to know that $10k was a wee-bit steep compared to all prior sales going back to 2008 (and even if they don't have VCP, they can go on ebay, or PSA, or google it -- the info is out there).

Look, maybe there are plausible, innocent, or market-based explanations for this. Indeed, I sure hope so. Or maybe there was foul play. All i can tell you is keep your eyes wide open because it is VERY noteworthy when relatively common cards sell for 100%+ all prior sales.

Last edited by ullmandds; 12-07-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:59 AM
Anson

It's possible someone purposely ran it up. But, someone still has to put the final bid in, right? If it's not worth the $10k, then don't put in the bid. We've seen some blatant cases of shilling over the years, but I'm not convinced that all of these record prices are the work of a nefarious person shilling.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

You must derive income from the hobby to have that point of view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
It's possible someone purposely ran it up. But, someone still has to put the final bid in, right? If it's not worth the $10k, then don't put in the bid. We've seen some blatant cases of shilling over the years, but I'm not convinced that all of these record prices are the work of a nefarious person shilling.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:15 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default Holiday Purchasing

Maybe someone is buying X-mas gifts.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:25 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Truth hurts sometimes.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:25 PM
Anson

Quote:
I wish this was even a possibility. Sadly, I just miss out on a lot of great cards because others have deep pockets. I just focus on other things that don't get the attention.

Most of the mayhem seems to be around portraits. I'm guessing these high bidders are trying to anticipate the next green Cobb or something.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Truth hurts sometimes.
Pete...nm

Last edited by Leon; 12-07-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post

This.
I don't understand the reflexive defense of highly unusual prices. Remember 2016 and proceed with caution. In this hobby, legitimate prices rarely, if ever, skyrocket overnight.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-07-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:10 PM

By the way, Rhotchkiss' hypothetical "Mr. Deep Pockets" was the winner of both the Young and the WaJo cards: eBay ID "8***g (57)," but someone else won the Matty: "e***e (359)."

And I'm the idiot who held the prior record for most dollars spent on a WaJo portrait in 5. I won it from PWCC in June of '16 (as Rhotchkiss reported) for $3608. Instead of buying that summer I should have sold my PSA 7 Koufax and PSA 8 Ryan RCs! Here's my WaJo (I had been hunting for a nice 5 for over 2 years):

WaJo_09_PSA.jpg

And this past summer, I finally landed my Matty portrait at the Cleveland National for $3K (cash) from a dealer from Long Island:

matty09_PSA5.jpg

Although they may not be as nice as the examples just sold by PWCC (my wife chose the PWCC ones over mine when I asked her to compare both pairs - dammit!), I don't think that my WaJo and Matty are only half as nice as the new record setters. In retrospect, I'm very happy to have gotten my cards when I did, and for what they cost me!
Old 12-07-2018, 03:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Those are very nice 5s, exactly of the sort I look for myself.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:42 PM

Paleocards, please know I was not knocking record holders. Indeed, I hold a few records myself. When you see you want, sometimes you just gotta go for it. That’s probably what happened with Mr Deep Pockets. But query whether he was bidding against another Deep Pocket or someone else with different intentions?

And I agree, I would take your cards all day long for half the price. You did well
Old 12-07-2018, 03:42 PM
Anson

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleocards View Post
By the way, Rhotchkiss' hypothetical "Mr. Deep Pockets" was the winner of both the Young and the WaJo cards: eBay ID "8***g (57)," but someone else won the Matty: "e***e (359)."

And I'm the idiot who held the prior record for most dollars spent on a WaJo portrait in 5. I won it from PWCC in June of '16 (as Rhotchkiss reported) for $3608. Instead of buying that summer I should have sold my PSA 7 Koufax and PSA 8 Ryan RCs! Here's my WaJo (I had been hunting for a nice 5 for over 2 years):

Attachment 336663

And this past summer, I finally landed my Matty portrait at the Cleveland National for $3K (cash) from a dealer from Long Island:

Attachment 336664

Although they may not be as nice as the examples just sold by PWCC (my wife chose the PWCC ones over mine when I asked her to compare both pairs - dammit!), I don't think that my WaJo and Matty are only half as nice as the new record setters. In retrospect, I'm very happy to have gotten my cards when I did, and for what they cost me!
Beautiful 5s!
Old 12-07-2018, 04:25 PM

Nice fat borders on those 2. The Johnson is particularly nice, congrats. Who knows, in due time they might look like bargains.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:54 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
It is also interesting to note that numerous opinions on here come from people who own/are affiliated with AH’s or who derive income from the hobby think this is all normal and natural.
I am one of the former who is not one of the latter.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-07-2018, 08:07 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I am one of the former who is not one of the latter.
Haha...I tell you...it's a conundrum. I DO believe there may be a few wealthy collectors who don't care what they spend on some high quality old cardboard...they just pay whatever it takes to get what they want...it's possible. But on Cy young/Walter Johnson portrait t206's...it just seems a little too convenient for me as a way to rationalize the running up of certain cards just as was done a few years ago with high grade 50's rookie cards by a "group" of people in the hobby.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
These posts appear to be on opposite sides of the issue. Did someone just pay over market value for this card because of the exceptional eye appeal? Or are you saying these are being run up like the 50s and 60s HOF rcs were? I would lean towards the former but have noticed a big jump t206 prices the last year or two.
The first post was quoting Brent. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I don't have a theory yet, just on alert.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-07-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:35 PM
Dar.ius Hou.seal

I can't say that i've followed this thread very closely, but wouldn't "Mr. Deep Pockets" be going for something better than a PSA 5. Why stop at 5 when money doesn't matter? I know i wouldn't stop at a PSA 5 if i had the dough. There's a decent pop over PSA 5.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariushou View Post
I can't say that i've followed this thread very closely, but wouldn't "Mr. Deep Pockets" be going for something better than a PSA 5. Why stop at 5 when money doesn't matter? I know i wouldn't stop at a PSA 5 if i had the dough. There's a decent pop over PSA 5.
First of all there can always be something nefarious going on as we have all seen so many times. But when I put my thinking cap on, for this card, it just doesn't seem like it would be one to try to corner the market on and raise all prices. As for why someone with all the money would stop at a 5 is because this 5 probably looks better than most 6s or 7s. I almost guarantee I would take it over most higher grade cards. Maybe the smart money bought the card they thought looked best and kept their other money for other cards?
Old 12-08-2018, 08:30 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
First of all there can always be something nefarious going on as we have all seen so many times. But when I put my thinking cap on, for this card, it just doesn't seem like it would be one to try to corner the market on and raise all prices. As for why someone with all the money would stop at a 5 is because this 5 probably looks better than most 6s or 7s. I almost guarantee I would take it over most higher grade cards. Maybe the smart money bought the card they thought looked best and kept their other money for other cards?
Forget about cards Leon. Think of the hammer price of your thinking cap at auction. Where will you consign?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:49 AM
Scott Russell

Nobody's trying to "corner the market" though. in 2016 those guys didn't control a significant percentage of the Clemente or Aaron rookies, they merely drove up the price indicators until people were willing to actually pay the inflated prices. then they dumped the cards they did have that they had been pretending to sell to each other. There's no way of knowing for sure if this Cy Young is the next wave of that kind of manipulation, but I certainly can't discount it.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 12-08-2018, 09:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Nobody's trying to "corner the market" though. in 2016 those guys didn't control a significant percentage of the Clemente or Aaron rookies, they merely drove up the price indicators until people were willing to actually pay the inflated prices. then they dumped the cards they did have that they had been pretending to sell to each other. There's no way of knowing for sure if this Cy Young is the next wave of that kind of manipulation, but I certainly can't discount it.
Right. In a market like this where people rely heavily on historical prices, you just need to be able to manipulate the price, not control supply. In 2016 plenty of people started to panic and pay insane prices for cards fearing they would go even higher.

One of my favorites, a Koufax RC in an 8 for 80K. Right.

http://goodwinandco.com/LotDetail.as...entoryid=33087

Even more disturbing was the disingenuous writeup.

Koufax.

Be Prepared for Return on Investment.

Koufax rookies are among the hottest cards in the hobby today. Demand is outpacing supply on a consistent basis and the market has reacted. Prices at auction continue to escalate provided the condition is at the highest level. And at a PSA 8, there aren’t many examples that exceed this magnificent offering. In fact, 15 PSA 8.5’s are known, to go with 22 PSA 9’s and 3 GEM MINT 10’s.

For the discerning collector or the profit-driven investor, this card should be an automatic. The Koufax rookie card’s climb has been as remarkable as Koufax pitching at Dodger Stadium on a hot summer day. We expect the day to come very soon, when Koufax rookies at PSA 8 will be selling well in excess of $200,000 and perhaps as $250,000. If you’ve ever contemplated a Clemente rookie, we strongly encourage you investigate this card.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-08-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:20 AM
Scott Russell

I remember that write-up. Gotta say I like Bill, but this just feels slimy.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:31 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I remember that write-up. Gotta say I like Bill, but this just feels slimy.
I was shocked to see that coming from him, honestly.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:40 AM
Anson

Quote:
Right. In a market like this where people rely heavily on historical prices, you just need to be able to manipulate the price, not control supply. In 2016 plenty of people started to panic and pay insane prices for cards fearing they would go even higher.

One of my favorites, a Koufax RC in an 8 for 80K. Right.

http://goodwinandco.com/LotDetail.as...entoryid=33087

Even more disturbing was the disingenuous writeup.

Koufax.

Be Prepared for Return on Investment.

Koufax rookies are among the hottest cards in the hobby today. Demand is outpacing supply on a consistent basis and the market has reacted. Prices at auction continue to escalate provided the condition is at the highest level. And at a PSA 8, there aren’t many examples that exceed this magnificent offering. In fact, 15 PSA 8.5’s are known, to go with 22 PSA 9’s and 3 GEM MINT 10’s.

For the discerning collector or the profit-driven investor, this card should be an automatic. The Koufax rookie card’s climb has been as remarkable as Koufax pitching at Dodger Stadium on a hot summer day. We expect the day to come very soon, when Koufax rookies at PSA 8 will be selling well in excess of $200,000 and perhaps as $250,000. If you’ve ever contemplated a Clemente rookie, we strongly encourage you investigate this card.
I wonder how many green Cobbs these guys had
Old 12-08-2018, 10:41 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
I was shocked to see that coming from him, honestly.
Funny you mention Goodwin. I was just looking at his last auction and recalled the Ohtani card that sold for $184k. There appear to be limitless amounts of dumb money in modern; isn’t it plausible some of that could trickle into pre-war?
Old 12-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Funny you mention Goodwin. I was just looking at his last auction and recalled the Ohtani card that sold for $184k. There appear to be limitless amounts of dumb money in modern; isn’t it plausible some of that could trickle into pre-war?
I don't necessarily believe everything I see.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
I would love to hear from one person that has spent more than 100 thousand dollars on a card made in this century. Has anyone ever met someone or know someone who has done it?
Old 12-08-2018, 02:15 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
I don't necessarily believe everything I see.
What are you saying, that you don’t believe someone paid that much for an Ohtani? Who knows? Maybe it didn’t. But it did according to Bill Goodwin’s website. He has a fine reputation, right, so it must be legit?
Old 12-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelaiTorres83 View Post
I would love to hear from one person that has spent more than 100 thousand dollars on a card made in this century. Has anyone ever met someone or know someone who has done it?
Oddly enough, I went to elementary school with Vegas Dave who paid $400k for some Mike Trout superrefractor thingy. We are not even acquaintances, by the way.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 12-08-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:25 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
look at the bid history. doubt it gets paid for, but it will look nice on VCP
You mean that every bid back to about $4000 is from a bidder who bids with PWCC either 100% or 97% of the time? Yeah, I don't think this one requires much thinking.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

To quote one of the great American songs, "It ain't necessarily so."

Old 12-08-2018, 02:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
What are you saying, that you don’t believe someone paid that much for an Ohtani? Who knows? Maybe it didn’t. But it did according to Bill Goodwin’s website. He has a fine reputation, right, so it must be legit?
You tell me.

7/31/16 eBay Image memorylaneinc n***n Best Offer $20,000.00
7/17/16 eBay Image pwcc_auctions 4***4 18 $23,100.00
7/10/16 eBay Image probstein123 s***e 25 $25,205.00
7/7/16 eBay Image pwcc_auctions s***l 52 $27,100.00
6/30/16 Goodwin Image 20 $80,625.60
6/12/16 eBay Image pwcc_auctions a***t 33 $22,100.00

6/6/16 eBay Image dpingree i***r BIN $32,450.00
5/26/16 eBay Image smallstocks 9***8 BIN $20,000.00
5/23/16 eBay Image jrengstl 9***8 BIN $27,495.00
5/14/16 Heritage Image 20 $19,120.00

Old 12-08-2018, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oddly enough, I went to elementary school with Vegas Dave who paid $400k for some Mike Trout superrefractor thingy. We are not even acquaintances, by the way.
How does one validate the card was paid for?

Curious to hear someone say they bid that much and paid for it. Surely there must be someone here mixed into the masses.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
You tell me.

7/31/16 eBay Image memorylaneinc n***n Best Offer $20,000.00
7/17/16 eBay Image pwcc_auctions 4***4 18 $23,100.00
7/10/16 eBay Image probstein123 s***e 25 $25,205.00
7/7/16 eBay Image pwcc_auctions s***l 52 $27,100.00
6/30/16 Goodwin Image 20 $80,625.60
6/12/16 eBay Image pwcc_auctions a***t 33 $22,100.00

6/6/16 eBay Image dpingree i***r BIN $32,450.00
5/26/16 eBay Image smallstocks 9***8 BIN $20,000.00
5/23/16 eBay Image jrengstl 9***8 BIN $27,495.00
5/14/16 Heritage Image 20 $19,120.00
The card was bid up and not paid for. That wasn't the only AH that this was done to.