NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-20-2018, 03:31 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Default Battlefields, War Eagle, Candiman Et Al

Perhaps someone can more informed can advise what is the state of play with the sons redeeming the sins of the father. Have they put up another auction, and if any winners of raw cards in the last one submitted their jewels to a TPG, what were the results? This saga is getting close to "All the Days of Our Lives."
Old 04-20-2018, 04:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Oy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg popular-sayings-collection-8-006.jpg (71.3 KB, 1275 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:19 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Candiman

Their auction is running now. http://candimanauctions.com/catalog.aspx

They don't have any items on eBay at the moment, at least not on this account.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sipeemend1/...1&_ipg=&_from=

I am suprised that no one has commented on them for a while.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:27 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

I checked yesterday. Their auction has roughly 750 lots, of which 675 have no bids. Lots of good deals remain. Items not shipped from Houston or Little Rock will be shipped from Dothan, I think. If you are being shut out at REA, take a look.

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of candiman auctions, nor am I a paid spokesperson. I have been to Dothan (once in 1961 I believe), but have not slept in a Holiday Inn there.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:52 PM
Patrick N.

Default Sins

Wouldn't it be sins of the mother in their case
Old 04-20-2018, 06:30 PM
Al Richter

It is obvious now that Frank is a shill for Candiman
Old 04-20-2018, 10:03 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

I got banned for speaking my mind. There are two long threads on here. The general consensus is the are merely an extension of Battlefield. They always have an excuse for the questions they want to answer and avoid those they don't. Proceed with caution...
Old 04-20-2018, 10:32 PM
Joshua

Check the top and right edges on this Ted Williams. As wavy as a lava lamp. No mention of it being altered but anyone can see it’s poorly trimmed.

The auction layout was weird. Not chronological or featured. Starts with a bunch of mid 70s graded cards in nice condition. Is that suppose to earn credibility? But then goes back to pre-war and older, which can only be the battlefield cards.

http://candimanauctions.com/mobile/L...ventoryid=2448

This place needs to be shut down.

Last edited by joshuanip; 04-21-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:00 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Just wait, the cards don't have bids yet...candiman has just not had time to place them yet, but they will be there... they will make sure of it...
Old 04-21-2018, 11:37 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
Just wait, the cards don't have bids yet...candiman has just not had time to place them yet, but they will be there... they will make sure of it...
Old 04-23-2018, 06:20 AM
Robert Williams

I was the "underbidder" on the Hank Aaron authentic in the last auction. One week later, the exact same card was auctioned by Candiman on Ebay. That told me all I needed to know about Candiman auctions.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:59 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

Ok all. Here were my results from grading on main cards. I will never buy a raw card from Candiman again as they are clearly overstating every card.

1952 Jackie Robinson NM- had wrinkles. Water stain and looks like residue. They did refund so no issues and Daniel did show good communication and customer service

1952 Howe-stated to be Near mint. This card came back VG/Ex

1953 Howe- stated VG/Ex- this card came back Good+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezez420 View Post
Ok all. Here were my results from grading on main cards. I will never buy a raw card from Candiman again as they are clearly overstating every card.

1952 Jackie Robinson NM- had wrinkles. Water stain and looks like residue. They did refund so no issues and Daniel did show good communication and customer service

These results are not surprising. You know what they say about leopards and spots.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

As reported by Daniel, you had a very positive experience. Perhaps not.

EDIT He did not say "very," my bad. Full quote below.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-24-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:35 PM
Jeff Lar.son

Quote:

Yikes. Those aren't even close.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:35 PM
Scott Russell

Since I am in the auction business I try not to speak ill of others in the business. Here are the facts of my transaction:

I received my invoice but it included credit card processing. I emailed upon receipt and asked for an invoice that reflected a payment by check. I received that fairly quickly and mailed out a check immediately.

2 or 3 weeks went by and I got an email asking when I would be sending payment. I explained that I had mailed payment weeks earlier. I was told they would check and get back to me. That is the last I've heard. The check has never posted, but I obviously don't have the cards that I won either.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-24-2018, 02:40 PM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

Like I said I got a refund on Jackie but last I checked, this issues do not make a NM card. I think this card would grade a 3. I would not be as annoyed if the other two cards graded close to where they were advertised but clearly it is the same crap.

QUOTE=Batpig;1770295]Yikes. Those aren't even close.[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2018, 02:50 PM
Robert Williams

Yea...that's bad. They are taking advantage of collectors on multiple levels. All in the name of a dollar. And using religion as a shade to boot. tsk Tsk.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:53 PM
pete ullman

you can lead a horse to water...but you can't make him/her drink!
Old 04-24-2018, 03:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

"1 card returned by Ed and I'm sure he will let you guys know that he had a positive experience with us and plans to bid in our future auctions."

Old 04-24-2018, 03:38 PM
Tony

Those corners on the Robinson don't even look NM; but I have been considering lasik, so what can I see.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:53 PM
Jeff Lar.son

I don't want to imply the Jackie was photoshopped, but it was totally photoshopped. Compare the auction listing to the pics Ed posted. Here's the original listing for comparison.

http://candimanauctions.com/mobile/L...inventoryid=29

Clearly the same card with some digital lipstick.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

I wonder where Jackie will resurface.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:28 PM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

I do not want to bash on here and leave that to others. That is not why I collect. I state the facts and try to inform people when I can. But I will say I took these pictures with my phone/ipad with normal lighting and showed many imperfections that would have led me not to bid and realized this was a VG to maybe VG/Ex card. A couple of people saw these pics from me but I wanted to wait to see if it was just one card or multiple cards. I got my answer this week.

Yes grading is subjective and people are not experts but we all know what wrinkles, creases, stains, residue, roller marks are, corner nicks are. These should be pointed out.

Battlefields business model of cracking stuff out and brightening the lighting to hide imperfections did not work and led to their demise.

I am bidding on some of the items in Candiman’s auction but no longer can give benefit on raw cards. There are positives of customer service from Daniel and the packing of product. So if he learns from his past mistakes I am sure he will have good auctions.
But seriously get rid of the raw cards.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:50 PM
Jeff Lar.son

Quote:
I do not want to bash on here and leave that to others. That is not why I collect. I state the facts and try to inform people when I can. But I will say I took these pictures with my phone/ipad with normal lighting and showed many imperfections that would have led me not to bid and realized this was a VG to maybe VG/Ex card. A couple of people saw these pics from me but I wanted to wait to see if it was just one card or multiple cards. I got my answer this week.

Yes grading is subjective and people are not experts but we all know what wrinkles, creases, stains, residue, roller marks are, corner nicks are. These should be pointed out.

Battlefields business model of cracking stuff out and brightening the lighting to hide imperfections did not work and led to their demise.

I am bidding on some of the items in Candiman’s auction but no longer can give benefit on raw cards. There are positives of customer service from Daniel and the packing of product. So if he learns from his past mistakes I am sure he will have good auctions.

Ed, I don't understand why you would want to give business to a person who obviously photoshopped the card you purchased. That along with the pile of other evidence should be more than enough to make it clear they aren't worthy of anyone's business.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Attached Images
File Type: jpg candi.jpg (76.6 KB, 793 views)

Old 04-24-2018, 05:52 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
Ed, I don't understand why you would want to give business to a person who obviously photoshopped the card you purchased. That along with the pile of other evidence should be more than enough to make it clear they aren't worthy of anyone's business.
The shill bidding is what ticked me off.....you CAN NOT tell me they had that many dead beat bidders in their first auction. The Aaron rookie showed up one week later on Ebay. They didn't even give the winner bidder enough time to pay. That is because there was no winning bidder. I was bidding against the house.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Based on Ed's experience they probably did you a favor.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:21 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Surprisingly, they chose not to comment?

As they say, "The apple doesn't fall far from the Tree"
Old 04-24-2018, 06:28 PM
Joshua

Quote:

Also, why would you want to bid on something where underbidders are reporting the cards they didnt win went immediately to ebay. This impacts graded as well.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post

They are busy men.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:57 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
They are busy men.
No doubt they are! Just thinking of all the extra work it likely takes to photoshop, then write up all their lying, deceitful listings, makes me wonder how they do it.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
No doubt they are! Just thinking of all the extra work it likely takes to photoshop, then write up all their lying, deceitful listings, makes me wonder how they do it.
Then find the time to handle refunds and returns from people, who knowing the facts, still bid with them. Unbelievable.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:37 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:

Wait, what?

Stuff trumps all.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:17 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Quote:

I think RockledgeSportsCards put an end to them commenting. Whoops, who would of thought a well respected seller like RockLedge would be reading this forum...and actually called them out.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

If it fell at all.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:32 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
If it fell at all.

LOL....touche!
Old 04-25-2018, 09:42 AM
Jeff Lar.son

Quote:
If it fell at all.
Pretty sure it's been Daniel (or whoever it is) all along. Candiman is just the way they're dumping inventory after getting booted off of eBay, and the "give us a chance" routine was to keep as many people bidding as possible. Pretty sure it doesn't matter though as apparently they can screw some people and they'll still come back for more.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:07 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
Pretty sure it's been Daniel (or whoever it is) all along. Candiman is just the way they're dumping inventory after getting booted off of eBay, and the "give us a chance" routine was to keep as many people bidding as possible. Pretty sure it doesn't matter though as apparently they can screw some people and they'll still come back for more.
I agree with most of this. I do not think they are dumping inventory. I would bet most of this is new stuff they bought for this auction. I know some of the graded Mantles are recent eBay purchases.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:12 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Auction

They now have 2561 items in their current auction. Approximately 900 of them have bids.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:30 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
They now have 2561 items in their current auction. Approximately 900 of them have bids.
I can promise you I am not bidding.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:38 PM
Mark Fox

Market research is the basis for any successful company, or criminal enterprise.

Quote:

Last edited by markf31; 04-25-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:53 PM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I would bet most of this is new stuff they bought for this auction. I know some of the graded Mantles are recent eBay purchases.
How do you know this; can you post the ebay listings. Than we can seeing their buying id's too.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:37 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Are they adding lots as the auction goes along??
Old 04-25-2018, 02:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I'll take that pledge.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:42 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Are they adding lots as the auction goes along??
Yes

Old 04-25-2018, 05:07 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Yes
Lots of lots.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:13 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Me too, then again, I am banned from bidding! Not sure if it is what I said in here or the Google Review I left for them. I consider it an honor.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:23 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsnstuff View Post
How do you know this; can you post the ebay listings. Than we can seeing their buying id's too.
Here is a '56 Topps Mantle PSA 8. - They paid $8k for it. Bought with the Lexus1584 ID. Current bid $5711.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Topps-...p2047675.l2557

Last edited by Jenx34; 04-25-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:25 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
I take the pledge as well.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.