NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-28-2017, 02:57 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Default Thoughts on this? (Round 2)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/t206-christy...QAAOSw0RlZdUiq

I know sizes vary but this appears awfully short with minimal top white border I'd look for a larger bottom border and it appears very small also. How about paper loss on the left edge outline, could that paper loss have occurred after encapsulation.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 08-05-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:59 PM

Agreed, looks short. Plus, whoever buys that 6 is buying the flip and not the card
Old 07-28-2017, 03:03 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post

I know sizes vary but this appears awfully short with minimal top white border I'd look for a larger bottom border and it appears very small also. How about paper loss on the left edge outline, could that paper loss have occurred after encapsulation.
It was graded a long time ago. So it could have been a time when they was very generous with grades as their standards are constantly changing.

It looks way short to me.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:20 PM
Bry@n

In addition to the dimensions, there appear to be two spots of possible paper loss on the left border at chest level.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:48 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Wow! That looks, uh, bad. Older grade but recent holder. I would like to think when it was re-holdered someone would have raised an eye-brow. Guess not.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:49 PM
Scott Russell

Yikes. A trimmed VG/EX card in a PSA 6 holder, fun, fun, fun
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-29-2017, 05:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post

That's the mini version ..no problem
Old 07-29-2017, 05:41 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Might be due to the images he provided but that card appears to have all kinds of issues.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:07 PM
je.sse @rnot

Looks like the same card sold in may at memory lane. I couldn't pull up the description on my phone but am curious to see what they said. Definitely a rough 6.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:21 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Looks like a rough 2.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Looks like the same card sold in may at memory lane. I couldn't pull up the description on my phone but am curious to see what they said. Definitely a rough 6.
It is the same card.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
It was graded a long time ago. So it could have been a time when they was very generous with grades as their standards are constantly changing.

It looks way short to me.
Why do you say it's an old grade, it is in the style that was the latest until the last month or two. Or was it reholdered?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-29-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:03 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Why do you say it's an old grade, it is in the style that was the latest until the last month or two. Or was it reholdered?
It has been reholdered. Just look at the old cert #.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
It has been reholdered. Just look at the old cert #.
Good to know there is no review in that process. Huge loophole for the Mexican dude, I suspect.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-29-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:41 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Good to know there is no review in that process. Huge loophole for the Mexican dude, I suspect.
Cards can be reviewed during reholders but it doesn't seem in their best interest to lower grades as they'd have to write a check to make up the value. Assuming the guarantee applies.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:05 PM
A.J. Johnson

Wow unreal!
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 07-30-2017, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Didn't someone here reholder a card recently and was told it had to be reviewed? Then again the PSA 9 49 B Robinson RC in the other thread is in a new holder with a huge print defect on his hat.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:12 AM
Glyn Parson

They do not lower grades on review unless the holder had damage in which case they sometimes claim the damaged holder compromised the cards grade. Otherwise they won't lower the grade. Is this right probably not but we know this grading game is far from perfect. They may at times try to buy something egregious back or if it is counterfeit but overgraded they just reslab. They also check the holders for authenticity. Because of the Mexican cartel a hole.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:08 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Here is the description from the Memory Lane listing in May. It is almost irresponsible. On second thought it is irresponsible.

(LOT 10)
1909 T206 Piedmont 150/25 Christy Mathewson Portrait PSA 6 EX-MT

Presented here is a stellar PSA 6 T206 Portrait Mathewson "Piedmont 150 Cigarettes" gem that is synonymous with Mathewson's unparalleled legacy, has defiantly withstood the test of time. When the name Christy Mathewson comes up for conversation, similar to the renowned former "E.F. Hutton" commercial, people listen! Mathewson's iconic status in baseball history cannot be overemphasized, with Christy unquestionably regarded as one of the greatest pitchers to ever toe a Major league pitching rubber. Mathewson amassed an amazing 373 lifetime victories, 2.13 lifetime E.R.A., and accumulated four 30-win seasons.

Even more impressive were his 3 World Series shutouts against Connie Mack's 1905 A.L. champion Athletics, prompting the legendary Mack to state: "Christy Mathewson was the greatest pitcher who ever lived. It was wonderful to watch him pitch when he wasn't pitching against you". Yet, all of his incredible pitching achievements are just part of his unparalleled legacy since he was a childhood hero to most aspiring baseball youths. Virtually all young boys worshiped the "Big Six" due to his combined pitching prowess and gentleman like status, ultimately resulting in his immortal nickname "The Christian Gentleman".

For all of the aforementioned reasons, Mathewson's T206 mementos are highly sought after by advanced collectors, with his "portrait" tobacco card the most prominent of the three classic Matty subjects issued by the ATC. Mathewson's unparalleled reverence is perfectly emanated via this classic Carl Horner headshot pose with his facial hues as vibrant as the original distribution date over a century ago. The T206 Mathewson portrait subject arguably depicts one of Matty's most defining poses from the "dead-ball" era, and you can literally sense his regal presence via the impeccable registration, crystal clear clarity and colorful brilliance emanating from this spectacular image.

Additional superlatives include a rich orange/yellow setting, bright white borders, right-angled corners and an extremely bold blue "Piedmont 150 Subjects" ad back. Preventing this card from achieving a higher grade is the skewed centering that favors the upper left edges as well as some diminutive surface scuffing along the left border. Yet these more than forgiving blemishes are more than offset by the card's overall brilliance that serves as a stout reminder of Matty's incomparable stature!
Old 07-30-2017, 08:12 AM
Scott Russell

"Mathewson's unparalleled reverence is perfectly emanated via this classic Carl Horner headshot pose with his facial hues as vibrant as the original distribution date over a century ago."

"Yet these more than forgiving blemishes are more than offset by the card's overall brilliance"

When hyperbole and grammar/usage collide nobody wins.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 07-30-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:32 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
"Mathewson's unparalleled reverence is perfectly emanated via this classic Carl Horner headshot pose with his facial hues as vibrant as the original distribution date over a century ago."

"Yet these more than forgiving blemishes are more than offset by the card's overall brilliance"

When hyperbole and grammar/usage collide nobody wins.
Actually, if the winner of the lot thinks he's buying a legit 6 there are some clear winners: Memory Lane and the consignor. And weren't the scans very large and clear in the Memory Lane listing for this card? I think we're all so used to the typical fluffing and BS in auction descriptions that I can easily excuse ML for theirs here due to the great scans they put up. If you can't see the flaws on this card then overspending for this card -- which I consider to be an ugly 2 at best -- is the least of your problems.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:28 AM
Scott Russell

I was just making fun of the awful writing. I think we're all agreed on the main point of the thread.

I do have a problem with hyperbole though. I would maintain that I put up pretty awesome scans on ebay and I still point out flaws, tell people when I think a card is over-graded etc... It's called honesty.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

It would be so much better if people just put up good scans and spared us all the bullshit. I can see writing up memorabilia; I can see providing information about a rare or unusual card; but on mainstream cards no. It all reads like parody.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-30-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:01 AM
je.sse @rnot

Thanks Greg for tracking that description down. About what I expected. This card reminds me of that psa 5 green cobb that the AH actually said had paper loss that seems inconsistent with the assigned grade.

I do agree with Jeff, the scans are clear and anyone spending more that 2 or 3 money on this card has no one but them self to blame. Except for the guy at PSA who gave it a 6 of course.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 07-30-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:19 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Thanks for pointing out the prior sale, Jesse. True that anyone buying the card as a 6 has only themselves to blame but the description was more than just hype or fluff that we typically see. Classifying the surface gouge as diminutive is more than an exaggeration.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Actually, if the winner of the lot thinks he's buying a legit 6 there are some clear winners: Memory Lane and the consignor. And weren't the scans very large and clear in the Memory Lane listing for this card? I think we're all so used to the typical fluffing and BS in auction descriptions that I can easily excuse ML for theirs here due to the great scans they put up. If you can't see the flaws on this card then overspending for this card -- which I consider to be an ugly 2 at best -- is the least of your problems.
The buyer certainly wasn't a winner. Paid 3888 and sold for 3012. After fees that is a loss of more than 1200 unless he was shilling the card and ended up winning his own card.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:33 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Thanks for pointing out the prior sale, Jesse. True that anyone buying the card as a 6 has only themselves to blame but the description was more than just hype or fluff that we typically see. Classifying the surface gouge as diminutive is more than an exaggeration.
True, but I never expect an AH to be too critical of a card's flaws. Not good for the bottom line or the consignor. Any time a visible flaw is mentioned at all I assume it's worse than described. That's why that green cobb stood out to me. I have never seen another auction in which the site said a card did not deserve its assigned grade.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:54 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
True, but I never expect an AH to be too critical of a card's flaws. Not good for the bottom line or the consignor. Any time a visible flaw is mentioned at all I assume it's worse than described. That's why that green cobb stood out to me. I have never seen another auction in which the site said a card did not deserve its assigned grade.
I have seen REA describe a card as not deserving the grade. Even if an auction house does not go that far, I do not recall regularly seeing one actually hype a card that is glaringly over graded. Maybe I do not read enough auction house descriptions or maybe I do not read them closely enough.

I do not expect an auction house to be too critical of its consignments but I do expect them to not misrepresent.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:31 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
I have seen REA describe a card as not deserving the grade. Even if an auction house does not go that far, I do not recall regularly seeing one actually hype a card that is glaringly over graded. Maybe I do not read enough auction house descriptions or maybe I do not read them closely enough.

I do not expect an auction house to be too critical of its consignments but I do expect them to not misrepresent.
Perhaps I'm more cynical than you, but I expect anyone trying to sell me something, including an auction house, to gloss over an items flaws, and try to focus attention on the positive attributes. Creative wording to make a flaw seem less severe, while not completely honest, is pretty common from what I've seen on ebay and in AH descriptions. And is certainly not limited to our hobby.

If the description had read something like this card has major surface issues, is way off center, and looks trimmed as well as over graded I would have appreciated the honesty. However it would prevent me from considering them for my next consignment.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:16 PM
Sean Costello

I started a thread in May about how overgraded some of the Cub HOFs were in that Memory Lane auction. I even called about the Joe Tinker batting card that appeared to have a fingerprint on the top of the card. The individual that I spoke with told me that "there is an issue with the top right border that probably kept the card from grading a seven."

Perhaps, but it still shouldn't have gotten a six either. It was more like a three.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:54 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

It resurfaces again for a mere $1500 more. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-T206-Ch...4AAOSwbmdZhdxt

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 08-05-2017 at 04:54 PM.