NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 08-30-2015, 11:32 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Default 1964-65 Topps Hockey "Tall-Boys"

OK the basketball guys have their '69-'70 Topps "tall-boys" with the Alcindor RC, but that set is easy compared to our hockey set '70-'71 Topps basketball "tall-boys"? I completed that set blindfolded!
The football side will claim the '65 Topps "tall-boys" with the Namath and Biletnikoff RCs, which do present a challege I suppose. All you need for your Namath is a "fat stack 'o cash", and as for Biletnikoff, if he is so tough how come I have an extra one?
The toughest "tall-boy" set to complete is the '64-'65 Topps hockey!
110 cards in the hockey set, and released in two series. High numbered cards #56-#110 are tough to find!
I'm down to ten cards needed, so I'm getting there. Biggest card I still need is #106 Stan Makita All-Star.
Who else collects this set?
Larry
 photo Scan2073.jpg
 photo Scan2074.jpg

Last edited by LuckyLarry; 08-30-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:25 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

OK now I find out there are also short printed cards

Each 55-card series contains 11 short-print cards.

1st Series SPs: 8 14 20 27 28 32 33 39 48 51 55
2nd Series SPs: 58 59 72 73 74 80 91 92 98 105 106

My wantlist reflects this, out of the ten cards I need, eight of them are SPs.

Larry
Old 08-31-2015, 06:44 AM

Default tallboys

morning Larry, i completed the set 15 years ago by going to card shows (it is the completed set on the SGC registry); had the most success at the National in Toronto. You just don't see enough of the high numbers on ebay and it is not always the SP either. Regular hi number commons are mostly forgotten and not listed. Stay the course as it is a really nice feeling to fill in those blanks!
jim
Old 08-31-2015, 05:34 PM
Robert

It's a great set but super tough... Love it
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 09-01-2015, 09:54 AM

Default tallboys

you have to be in it for the long haul, right Robert?
Old 09-01-2015, 11:46 AM
Robert

Jim your right but it's well worth it. Great looking cards across the board for sure
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 09-01-2015, 01:11 PM
Bob Davies

Default Started with SP's

I am only about 1/3 through this set. This set is about 2 years before I started collecting cards as a kid, so I have started right at the beginning.

I started this set when I picked up a couple of the high number SP's in a 5 or 6 at a decent price; the Rousseau and Hicke. Now I am collecting this in mid grade condition (like a do a lot of vintage sets) of 5-7, mostly because of quality at a decent price point.

My goal was to focus on the SP's first, and high numbers. I have most of the SP's (including the Horton and Mikita), and many high numbers (like Howe). I've also managed to pick up some of the lower series, mostly because they happened to be included in other purchases.

My efforts are in trying to get the difficult cards first.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:30 PM
Bill par.sons

Default 64 hockey

Hi also working on this set. The interesting fact that I'd like to discuss is the scarcity within the SP Hi's. 3 of the 11 seems to command a premium and I'm not sure if it is related to finding 7 or 8's or the cards in general. #92 Paille has been rumored for a while to have been replaced in the printing process. Replaced with what card I do not know. But it always seems to come up 1st in SP discussions. 2ns is the Horton AS can and third is Tom Williams.
Does anyone know of an uncut sheet from either series?

Like to start up a conversion about this set amongst the folks out there.

thx bill
Old 12-21-2015, 09:33 PM

I am a big fan of the 64-65 tallboys. I am collecting vintage Chicago Blackhawks cards. I only have a few of the tallboys, but I really enjoy them. I always have been a big fan of the Topps cartoons, which appear in the tallboys. Good bios, great cards. I havent had the chance to get to many shows lately, so I cannot really comment on availability. But, the search is sure a good time.
TJ
Old 12-21-2015, 11:00 PM
Bob Davies

Hey Bill... I have seen pictures of the uncut sheets, and I believe you are correct in your assessment of the SP's. If we remove the price difference on the popularity of SP players (for example, Hull, Beliveau, Horton), some do indeed command a premium because of the positions on the sheet, and consequently the results on centering.

While I personally don't have any pictures of the uncut sheets, people smarter than me have shown me pictures. Cards like the Pronovost and Paille are apparently in different locations than cards like the Bergman, Harris, Rousseau and Hicke. I paid higher than I was expecting to for my ungraded Pronovost; it was centered, and the dealer showed me the uncut sheet from the first series. It was not that many years ago that the only uncut sheet from the first series was seen and thus showing the single prints.

Here is a pretty good article on the PSA site: http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...sic-puck-issue

Regards...
Bob

Last edited by Stampsfan; 12-21-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:52 AM
Bill par.sons

I actually had this entire set about 20 years ago. Bought it in one shot from a guy in Canada in the Montreal area named I believe Ronald V. I was probably better in condition that what I have now. He had mentioned the Paille and that it was substituted in the printing process for checklist #55. That is just a rumor which is why I asked about uncut sheets of either series.
I really like all aspects of this set. The card format, the fact that there is difficultly in assembling and tougher Sp's. My goal is a decent VG set with unmarked checklists.
The set pre-dates my following hockey, being in the boston area that began in the Orr era.
Interested in all comments regarding this set and happy holidays.

bill
Old 12-23-2015, 06:04 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Four months later I have added just ONE card. Of the nine cards I need, seven are SPs. What a challenge!

current wants:

1964-65 Topps (033 SP) (072 Dornhoefer SP RC) (074 VillemureSP) 085 (091 SP) (092 Paille SP) 102 (105 Horton SP) (106 Makita SP)

Larry
Old 01-05-2016, 08:24 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Eight to go!
Larry

Old 01-09-2016, 08:44 AM
Bill par.sons

Thx for your reply. This is a good piece. This is my favorite set to collect. Has all 6 teams represented and a challenge. Regarding the Sp's, all are not pricewise created equal and that's a question for all.

The way I figure it: Position on the sheet dictates centering difficulty and therefore higher prices. Although these higher prices for certain sp'd have translated to lesser condition cards higher than other. Example: Horton AS v Hicke.

I'll also say that the Lower 1-55 sp's, now known, should not command a significant premium due to many more 1-55's being available than 56-110.

Again feedback welcome.

bill
Old 02-19-2016, 09:35 PM
Ed

Default tall boys

I do like this set but behind the rest of you ... I have only one Delvecchio so a ways to go to catch up!
Old 12-27-2017, 10:44 AM

Hi Bill
I also purchased a near set of the 1964-65 Topps from Ron Villeneuve (not sure of the spelling) from Montreal in the mid-1980's (it was missing only #33 Beliveau)). One of the best purchases ever--Ron had great stuff in sets or near sets and all in ex/mt or better shape. All together i picked up about 10 Parkie and 10 Topps sets from him (mostly $100-200 per set)--I could never have put the set together today as i would cost thousands and the divorce would break me
https://imageevent.com/supplex55/196465toppshockeyset

Last edited by supplex55; 11-28-2023 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:23 PM
Bill par.sons

Since my last post I have upgraded this set quite a bit. In fact I have 2 sets of the sp's going as I found hat as long as I was patient, I could get there. My new takeaways are this: Within the 1st series sp's, Bobby Hull 320 and Beliveau #33 are tougher to find in ex or better condition. some of that may have come with the sp 1st series discover. regarding the 2nd series sp, the 2 allstars, Horton and Mikita command the premium, not paille as I once thought. 74 villemure and 91 nesterenko seem to be lower than the rest. Also ted Lindsey and bucyk centered are tough. I tried to stick with the ex range on most cards to rationalize my spending. Cheers.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:23 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by supplex55 View Post
Hi Bill
I also purchased a near set of the 1964-65 Topps from Ron Villeneuve (not sure of the spelling) from Montreal in the mid-1980's (it was missing only #33 Beliveau)). One of the best purchases ever--Ron had great stuff in sets or near sets and all in ex/mt or better shape. All together i picked up about 10 Parkie and 10 Topps sets from him (mostly $100-200 per set)--I could never have put the set together today as i would cost thousands and the divorce would break me
http://imageevent.com/supplex55/supp...cardcollection
Very nice collection!
Old 12-28-2017, 11:35 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Great stuff. I am so PO'd at myself for getting out of older hockey cards before the boom(s). I am always looking to replace some of the tall boys I sold but I just haven't been able to bring myself to pay up for them.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-02-2018, 06:39 PM

I added scans of my 1964-65 set to my Imageevent site to share with other collectors. I only collect in raw condition, but feel most would grade in the ex/mt range with some better. The only card i believe to be below EX would be the tough Tom Williams #59 card which would likely grade VG.
http://imageevent.com/supplex55/196465toppshockeyset
Old 01-05-2018, 12:42 PM
Bob Davies

Nice set. In the condition that I am looking for. I'm about halfway there, but I am trying to concentrate on the high numbers and SP's first, unless I find a deal on some commons.

I am also with you, where I am collecting raw. Even if I purchase a graded card, I crack it out. The slabs for these cards are simply too bulky for me.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:01 AM

I do the same on the rare occasions i pick up a graded card---crack em out (like that description!). I do not own a single card that is still encased. I suppose if i should ever sell, i would consider grading, but prefer to leave that to my heirs and let them work a bit for their reward!
Old 01-08-2018, 01:04 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by supplex55 View Post
... I suppose if i should ever sell, i would consider grading, but prefer to leave that to my heirs and let them work a bit for their reward!
I love that take. There is a small amount of guilt associated with not grading everything, because I seem to accumulate only.

This is a better recipe. Let them work a little for the nice collection they will eventually split.