NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 02:56 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post

I would have tried to win it just becuz i found out LOTG still doesn't charge sales tax that would seem to be a DISCOUNT to me. It would definitely do better (at least I would have bidded on it) if it was in a bigger AH.

I am still happy with the money still in my pocket. PERIOD
So I'm guessing you didnt see they, as well as a poster, pointed out you DO have to pay sales tax in NY. Your profile says NY, In case you forgotted where you live.

We'd love to be enlightened as to what you would have "bidded" on.

Thought that 100k was going Into the stock market?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 04-12-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:00 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I had 13 consignments in this auction, and was very content with the prices realized on 12 of the 13. This was in the face of a very shaky economy with lots of variables, and with REA running their auction concurrently in full-force. For me (as a consignor) LOTG realizes prices that are as strong as any other AH out there. Their descriptions are always among the most detailed, and their fees are among the very lowest. I don't know what more a consignor could ask for.

And on the buying end, it was extremely competitive going after the dozen or so lots that I was aggressively bidding on. Though I was outbid on almost all of them, I scored a couple of very tough memorabilia items that I had never seen offered before (including REA, Lelands, Heritage, Hunt, Goldin, SCP, Mile High or anywhere else).

No comment on the Cobb/Cobb, other than to say you'd have to live on another planet to have missed it. Granted, LOTG might not be quite as big as some of the others since they came onto the scene more recently. But they are the most customer-friendly, and continue to grow bigger and better with every auction.

VERY happy with the results!

What are your 13 consignments? Especially curious the one that did bad.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:04 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
So I'm guessing you didnt see they, as well as a poster, pointed out you DO have to pay sales tax in NY. Your profile says NY, In case you forgotted where you live.

We'd love to be enlightened as to what you would have "bidded" on.

Thought that 100k was going Into the stock market?

I have no regret moved out of NY last yr.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
I thought the 1926-29 Foxx Exhibit was very strong at $4,500 all-in for an SGC 4. Was there anything special about this one which would've driven it so high? I expected it to sell for 1/4 of that price - am I way off base?
It is his RC and has been surging in price over the last year. An SGC 50 got nearly $3k in a Sterling auction earlier this year. I think it could be 2x-3x this price as people realize it*.
There was also some very good recent research establishing that W560, which was one of the three candidates for his RC, was issued probably a year later than had been thought. No one wants to miss the next 1925 Gehrig. Before that card took off you could have had one in decent shape for $2k-$3k. Now, not.

*full disclosure: I own one, have had it for decades, but they're gonna have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers, so i have only an academic interest in the price of the card as a student of the PC back series (happens to be my favorite of all Exhibit baseball sets); not trying to pump my collection's value.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-12-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:19 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
What are your 13 consignments? Especially curious the one that did bad.
Not even worthy of a response. Why focus on the one item of 13 that "did bad", other than just to be a rebel rouser?

I will re-phrase... I had 13 consignments; 12 of which did very well, and one that sold for a bit under market value. When you consign that many lots, this is a phenomenal outcome. When you bet sports, do you routinely win 13 team parlays, without a single trip-up? If so, you should already have a Cobb/Cobb to accompany your Wagner!
Old 04-12-2020, 03:21 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
I believe the consignee is a board member here too
OK hate to be pedantic but the word is consignor. The person who consigns an item to an auction is the consignor.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-12-2020, 03:28 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
OK hate to be pedantic but the word is consignor. The person who consigns an item to an auction is the consignor.
That's right.. my bad. good catch!
Old 04-12-2020, 03:32 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
If so, you should already have a Cobb/Cobb to accompany your Wagner!
I do... but don't mind to scoop more.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:39 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

Shoelessmoe - I would feel really bad if I missed a Felsch auto, but I do have the autos and cards that were offered already (aside from the Arnold Rothstein autograph), but for sure would have bid on the Roy Wilkinson to try to upgrade mine and a Shano Collins that I once owned before that sold at a low price. Someone got a beautiful Risberg autograph at a good price!

Last edited by ThomasL; 04-12-2020 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:48 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I do... but don't mind to scoop more.
Awesome... Would love to see them both!
Old 04-12-2020, 07:00 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Awesome... Would love to see them both!
Not even worth of a response..... balabalabala... LOL
Old 04-12-2020, 07:05 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

I usually don't respond negatively on these boards. But you guys should take your bullshit cat fight somewhere else. LOTG is one of my favorite AH's and I don't like seeing this thread hijacked by a bunch of guys with a hormone imbalance.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:13 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
I usually don't respond negatively on these boards. But you guys should take your bullshit cat fight somewhere else. LOTG is one of my favorite AH's and I don't like seeing this thread hijacked by a bunch of guys with a hormone imbalance.
Why is this a hijack? Is the auction still CLOSING TONIGHT??? or you don't want to hear someone left money on the table consigning their stuffs to them?
Old 04-12-2020, 07:14 PM
Andrew Mc.Gann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Frank: It is plain to see that you have a personal bitch with Al. Your predictable LOTG teardowns are mean spirited and unbecoming. Give it a rest, old boy.
Agree with this one million percent. I knew the intent behind the post as soon as I saw it. It had zero to do with the Cobb and everything to do with a vendetta.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:16 PM
Paul Herbener

I do want to point out that I have consigned to LOTG and done very well with them. I've also bought high ticket items at a discount from REA when they decided to finish an auction while undergoing website problems.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:23 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrotn77 View Post
Agree with this one million percent. I knew the intent behind the post as soon as I saw it. It had zero to do with the Cobb and everything to do with a vendetta.
OK.. i better stop here. I have no idea what happened between Frank and LOTG in the past and I have nothing to do with it.

And I will register in LOTG auction.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:17 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I had 4 consignments in the Auction and the 2 low end items met expectations but my other 2 items fell far short. Fisrt was a group of Harpers woodcuts. 5 woodcuts including the 1874 Boston team. Last LOTG Auction an 1874 Boston team woodcut sold for about what my 5 woodcuts sold for. Second was a S81 silk of Alexander a very scarce item of a popular Hall of famer. Sold for less than half of what a Lajoie sold for in the last REA.
Was it LOTG or the current economic situation? AL had sent out a message to consignors asking if Auction should have been postponed I responded with yes it should be delayed until Baseball gets back on track but I guess I was in the minority. I did win a couple of lots that I also felt were below recent sales. I think I would consign to LOTG again but I will wait until things stabilize just a bit.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:47 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

I've consigned with Al and LOTG before, and did so again in this recent auction.
I'd take his prices, his customer care, his commitment to doing his level best and being as honest as the day is long as being incredibly important to me when I chose who to bid with and who to sell with.

Once again, very happy with my decision.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:03 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

I consigned with LOTG in this auction as well and have purchased from Al in the past. I don't know that you can put a price on integrity (though I was happy with the overall sale prices my lots received), but I've heard nothing but good things about Al and his auctions and look forward to working with them again in the future.

There's clearly a lot of shady people and businesses in this hobby and, as was said below, I'm very happy with my decision as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Hawk View Post
I've consigned with Al and LOTG before, and did so again in this recent auction.
I'd take his prices, his customer care, his commitment to doing his level best and being as honest as the day is long as being incredibly important to me when I chose who to bid with and who to sell with.

Once again, very happy with my decision.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:09 PM
Rob

Default LOTG auctions

I don't know Al, but one time I read in one of his auction intro's that he likes the band, Yo la Tengo. Sounds okay in my book. I'm still following this thread to see Chris post his T206 Wagner back run. ha=ha. Rob
Old 04-12-2020, 09:33 PM
Howard Chasser

Default my 2 cents

I had initial bids on about 10 items - all of them sold for more (some just and some much more) than what I thought to be fair market value.

Definitely did NOT like the step backwards in the closing process - with just about every other auction house figuring out a way to maximize bidding AND close the auction at a reasonable hour, there is no reason an auction needs to close at or past 4AM these days - it was definitely a deterrent for my bidding.

I've been a bidder in LOTG auctions a few times and overall have had a great service experience. There was a "hiccup" when items I won in the last auction were shipped to an old address (rather than to the one I updated).

No comment on the Cobb/Cobb.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:27 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Early front runner for longest most pointless thread of the year. Some dude never heard of an AH that advertises many times a day on the very page he's posting on. Others apparently missed it too. Story at 11.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:46 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Early front runner for longest most pointless thread of the year. Some dude never heard of an AH that advertises many times a day on the very page he's posting on. Others apparently missed it too. Story at 11.
That tells me advertising here doesn't work.... very simple logic.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
That tells me advertising here doesn't work.... very simple logic.
You are just an effing idiot. Plain and simple.