NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Default FIRST APRIL PICKUP THREAD

Posted By: ROBERT ADAMS JR

Photobucket Love picking these up when possible . A 1959 still of the Robert Mitchum movie " The Wonderful Country " in which Satchel Paige had a role as Sgt. Tobe Sutton . It is the only acting Paige did besides a cameo in the 1949 flick " The Kid From Cleveland " .

Old 04-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joseph

This is probably the most expensive piece of Ruth cardboard I'll ever own...

Old 04-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

Robert, Very nice movie still. Wow Satchel Paige, who knew?...did you still it?... Joseph, Nice Ruth box, the classic Ruth display piece, may be the first thing people notice in your collection.

Below is a 6 inch tall c1880-90 perfume bottle in the shape of a baseball bat. As a general rule I identify bats by: rings in the center = 1880's....capped barrel end = 1890's. Based on the fact it has rings, and the graphics of the label, I'd guesstimate it from the late 1880's. I actually got this in Hunt's February 20th 2008 monthly auction http://www.huntauctions.com/phone/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=49&lot_num=26 , but the March p/u thread is getting so long. Anyways, David advised me he's only seen three of these, and it's the first I've seen. David also advised he has one in his collection he paid $750 for which is in worse condition than mine, which assuaged my concerns about it's cap. Researching it I found another that sold in the 2006 REA auction in a grouped lot of 28 items LOT #764 http://robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2006/764.html I sent away for a clear acrylic retail pen display to display it. It sort of fits till I find a better.
Tappan's baseball bat perfume bottle.
InCurio600x800,InCurio600x800,Tappan's baseball bat perfume bottle

Old 04-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

Sweet Display case Carlton and nice pickups guys.

Here are a few of my more recent pickups.

First is a 1929 Spalding Melon Football that is a trophy ball from a game between Haverford College and U. of Delaware. The neat part is that the ball has written on it To Coach, From Team, and the whole team signed it.

Next is a sweet Draper and Maynard Football that is a trophy ball from a game between Rome Academy and Utica Free Academy in 1929. The ball is in amazing condition.

I picked up these neat football helmet tonight at an estate auction. It is composed of leather with a harder shell top, and has a Spalding logo present (difficult to make out, but definetly Spalding) on the inside crown area. I also picked up a pair of football pants from the 1920's era.

Last, I picked up this Louisville Slugger minibat in a box lot; it is a Bob Johnson signature bat. Do these minibats have much in the way of value. Bob Johnson played for the Philadelphia Athletics in the 1930's.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

One of my favorite Tribesmen:

Old 04-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Kravitz

My first boxing card...

Old 04-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joseph

Just noticed your shout-out Carlton, thanks...interestingly, methinks I was the underbidder on that wonderful perfume bottle.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Got this for Bloomer Girl basketball team from Farnam, Nebraska for an absolute steal - it's huge and it's in MINT condition.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Found this in my grandparents attic some time ago. A real nice image especially with the one Black player pictured. Several of the players are wearing jerseys that say "Kineo". I know there is a town by that name in Maine. Any other thoughts regarding this photo?

Old 04-08-2008, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rawn Hill

Kineo was a summer lodge for the most part and run ny the Ricker group. I see one of the platers has a large R on his jersey..

Old 04-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Administrator

I don't often come across an Indians pennant that I haven't previously seen, so I'm pretty happy to add this one to my collection (8 x 25 inches):

Old 04-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brock G.

Finally scored one of these lamps.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DD

1906 Spalding Photo of Mike Simon

1930's Twin City Colored Giants Team Photo

Old 04-09-2008, 01:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Congrats on that rare Pennant, Rob. The second I saw it, I wondered if that one was in your collection. I kind of assumed it was, but guess that goes to show that new material can still turn up. This one's charm is in its crudeness, and it is truly a great score.

I had a snipe on it too, but it did not even register because the bidding exceeded my limit. In retrospect, I suppose this one should have gone for lots more...

Old 04-09-2008, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Thanks, Mark.

If this was a "full" full-size pennant instead of a three-quarters one, I'd be really excited.

I likely would have been hesitant to buy this off eBay because off all the fake, vintage-looking pennants I've been seeing, but this comes from a collector whom I've know for many years. I need to ask him about the history of this and how long he's had it.

Rob

Old 04-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Rob:

Most (95%) of the fake or repro pennants seem to have those raised velvet type of graphics. I think that the majority are manufactured by Mitchell & Ness. The designs are clearly not screened on, but even the likes of Mastro and Lelands have featured a couple (which I've had to call them on). They have subsequently been withdrawn in each case. I am not familiar with the process, but it is apparent at first glance, that these raised velvet repro's are different.

Have you been seeing many fake ones with painted or screened graphics? I recall seeing a number of Brooklyn Dodgers and NY Giants, but these have been lingering for quite a while. If there are other new ones circulating, this is indeed a concern.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brock

Just got this in the mail today. The DiMaggio,Wicker and Selkirk will be part of my 36 yankee/giant signature display.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Mine is a tie between these two...

The first is an incredibly rare Shafer Vater Figural from the turn of the century.

The Reach Trophy is from 1918, and is probably the best-preserved piece I have ever seen of that vintage. It is truly pristine.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Administrator

WOW Mark. I was watching that trophy and saw that you were the winner and have been waiting for you to post some photos of it. It is amazing. Congrats.
That Shafer-Vater piece is pretty cool too. A toothpick holder?

Old 04-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Thanks Brock...

Regarding the Shafer Vater piece, I should know the answer, but am drawing a blank. It could be a toothpick or pencil holder, but for some reason I think it is smoking-related. Since these turn up so infrequently, it has literally been years since I saw one properly described.

REA had quite a few of these about 3 years ago... although perhaps not this exact type. When I have time, I'll try to reference their catalogue descriptions. In the mean time, if anyone else knows what purpose this piece originally served, please advise! The big mouth had to serve as an opening for something specific.

Edited... I just checked REA, and I think this is a Match-stick Holder. While REA never featured an example quite like this, most of the Shafer-Vater Base-Ball items were smoking related (ashtrays, match strikers, etc.) So this is my best guess.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Ballagh, Nebraska circa 1910 - I don't believe the town even exists anymore.
Ballagh

Old 04-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Picked up 3 more Nebraska related postcards

Plainview c1920
Plainview

Lincoln player Linn Jenoway c1911
Photobucket

Lincoln player Bob Powers 1916
Photobucket

Old 04-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

Got up early this morning after a sleepless night of anticipation prior to the first big antique show of the year. Filled my pocket with cash, loaded up on coffee, knocked over six old ladies moving to the front of the line, pulled a hamstring sprinting to the first tent, knocked over two more old ladies and a guy with an eye patch, and FOUND!!!...nothing..........not a @&%$* thing... Oh, there were a few over priced junk gloves, 28" 1970s bats, what one guy called old Dave Parker pictures (I gave him the Moe Howard double eye poke), and some 1980s regular season Indians programs (did the Indians have a team in the 80s?).

Sorry for the rant, but this was a HUGE dissapointment. I feel better now...thanks for listening.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Administrator

I feel your pain Mike....The antique show here is getting stale...No new dealers and the same old stuff every time. Most of these dealers tell me they left their baseball stuff at home, but I always ask so it's a mystery to me why they don't bring it.

OTOH I'm getting a whole lot pickier about the stuff I buy than I used to be so that may have something to do with it.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Just got these "Batter Up" mixer labels yesterday.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brock

Just got this Kren's Klouter in the mail. It's a Cronin style. I dont know why the barrel is the way it is, maybe someone did it to put it back on a lathe what do you guys think. Thanks