NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-26-2020, 06:02 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Mascot

still waiting for pictures
Old 08-29-2020, 04:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

On the subject of getting an issue catalogued then graded...I've had a good share of experience on both ends. The graders are just trying to find good information; I've never seen evidence otherwise. Sloppiness at most (I got a good laugh some years ago when one of them refused to grade a catalogued card because it wasn't in the book; turns out their book was several editions out of date). I've found PSA is more stubborn than the others w/r/t new issues. I suspect this is a function of size. They are a bit bureaucratic and simply do not make judgment calls. I experienced this a few years ago with an Exhibit card that PSA insisted was from a different year than the actual year of issue because of a missing ad back, even though the players on the front would have been anachronisms if they were right. We eventually sorted it out but they do not just readily accept a neutral (wasn't even my card) third party's opinion that isn't written down somewhere. The SGC guys used to call me with with questions about boxing and Exhibit issues. I always found their research people willing to listen rather than rely on a catalog (probably since I wrote the f'ing catalog). FWIW, when I have something really good to report on w/r/t a set I try to break it with Sports Collectors Daily first and then (if it relates to my subject matter) put it into the next editions of my books before I even think about taking it to a TPG.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-29-2020 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:24 PM
Scott Russell

My only experience was with putting together the checklist for 1932 Bulgaria Sport. They had graded individual cards of mine but wouldn't do a registry on it without a set composite. Finally found a collector in Germany who had the album they're supposed to be pasted into and they were willing to send me a picture of every page.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 11-04-2020, 07:09 PM
Curt

I ended up tracking down Jerry Jonas and had a nice phone conversation with him. He told me what he could recall about the sets. I had been fascinated by the set because I saw it listed in a price guide when I was younger and just starting to collect. Plus it had a Koufax, and the Dodgers were my team. I figured I would never find any, but ended up hitting the jackpot.

I got my sheet and a cut up set from the same person, a former executive with a MLB team who was employed around that time. He was a big card collector, so no surprise that he ended up with the sets. I also ended up with the folder and paperwork from the same man later on, that I featured in my blog about the issue.

https://1978theyearitallbegan.blogsp...ns-update.html

Here is the follow up article I wrote after speaking with Jonas directly.

https://1978theyearitallbegan.blogsp...entations.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
as I've always believed eventually everything shows up
How long did it take for cleveland indians central bank cards
Cleveland Indians prize frankies?
Bazooka 1960 box set
Mascot dog food
30 years for a red correct mantle armour and then 10
Still finding new pros pizza
Took me 20 years for sal yvars 54 hunterS
60 years to see the missing dice gsmes
Still haven't seen 1/2 set of opc tattoos...they exist but where are they
Only 1 Venezuelan tatoo...they must exist..where are they
Still haven't seen 3/4 of the felin franks
Still haven't seen 3/4 of national tea
How many jerry Jonas have u seen?
50 years to see cheri baas cola
50 years for the plaks
Somewhere someone has these cards just a matter of when and where they turn up

Last edited by mrmopar; 11-04-2020 at 07:14 PM.