NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Eric Perry

Default Candidate for a soak?

Sorry for the blurry image. I don't have one of those new-fangled scanners that creates crisp pictures of graded cards.

Anyway, it appears that there is a sticker of some sort on this T206. There is also a back stamp.

I have never soaked a card before and am a bit apprehensive about doing so. Having said that, I am intrigued at the possibility that a good soak may drastically improve the appearance of this card. For those who may not be able to read the factory designation, it is, "FACTORY No. 649. 1ST DIST. N.Y."

Ultimately, my question is this...will soaking affect the back stamp?

Looking forward to everyone's opinions.

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 04-05-2013, 07:50 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Let it take a bath in warm water. The sticker should come right off. The hard part is drying it

Member since 2009

Last edited by T205 GB; 04-05-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
The sticker should come right off. The hard part is drying it
Andrew,

I figured the sticker would come off. Any opinion regarding the back stamp?

Also, how does one dry a soaked card?

Best Regards,

Eric
Old 04-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

i have also never soaked a card, BUT if your card in question, isnt a very expensive one, may as well do your first soak on it. GL
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
i have also never soaked a card, BUT if your card in question, isnt a very expensive one, may as well do your first soak on it. GL
EK,

Thanks for wishing me good luck...at least, I think that's what, "GL" means. I am not too up-to-date regarding the abbreviations floating around on the Internet these days.

I am OK with the idea of cracking the card out of its holder and soaking it to remove the sticker. There is something else on the reverse, though, and I do not want to mess with that.

A stamp from P.B. White is on the back, too. If soaking the card will fade or distort this image, I definitely do not want to take that route.

Any thoughts on this?

Best,

Eric
Andrew Hunt00n

I would say there is a very good chance the stamp will bleed heavily into the paper if you soak it. Depending on how long it's in the water it could end up so blurred that you won't be able to read it anymore. I'll post a scan of one of my backstamps that shows this when I am able.

Thanks,

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Also, how does one dry a soaked card?
Blot the excess water with paper towels, place the card between some sheets of typing paper, put between two Straight 2x4 pieces of wood and put a 45lb weight or a 5 gallon bucket of water on top; wait a couple days, replacing the typing paper once or twice. That's what worked for me, there are many ways though, heavy books etc.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
I would say there is a very good chance the stamp will bleed heavily into the paper if you soak it. Depending on how long it's in the water it could end up so blurred that you won't be able to read it anymore. I'll post a scan of one of my backstamps that shows this when I am able.

Thanks,

AndyH
Andy,

Thanks for this info...it is greatly appreciated.

I look forward to your scan, and hope you had a chance to view the PM I sent to you regarding this card.

Best,

Eric
Old 04-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ease View Post
Blot the excess water with paper towels, place the card between some sheets of typing paper, put between two Straight 2x4 pieces of wood and put a 45lb weight or a 5 gallon bucket of water on top; wait a couple days, replacing the typing paper once or twice. That's what worked for me, there are many ways though, heavy books etc.
Eric...it's Eric...pleasure to make your acquaintance

Thanks for the tips on drying the card.

I have seen recommendations such as this when soaking a card that has picked up extra "marks" that people would like to remove. Since one of these marks is something I would like to preserve, is it still prudent to leave the card soaking for days?

After all, I would hate to have P.B. White's stamp bleed all over the reverse. And I am not sure the "clay layer" would allow the stamp to react to a soak in the same way as the original printing.

Please let me know your thoughts on this front.

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 04-05-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Eric Shaeffer

You've got a great first name
I don't know about the soaking for days part, I've only soaked cards for 5-6 hours at most. I do leave them in the typing paper between the 2x4's and under the weight for a couple days though, all have come out flat and dry.
If you're wanting to preserve the stamp, I wouldn't soak it, there's just too much of a chance it will bleed or come out completely.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Eric,

Here are a couple examples of how the stamp might bleed if soaked. I bought these this way and didn't soak them myself so I don't know exactly how these stamps got wet, but you can see the results clearly enough.

Thanks,

AndyH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15.PurpStamp.WillettsFielding.back.jpg (25.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg X0.PurpStamp.MullenPort.back.jpg (23.7 KB, 86 views)

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 04-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ease View Post
You've got a great first name
I don't know about the soaking for days part, I've only soaked cards for 5-6 hours at most. I do leave them in the typing paper between the 2x4's and under the weight for a couple days though, all have come out flat and dry.
If you're wanting to preserve the stamp, I wouldn't soak it, there's just too much of a chance it will bleed or come out completely.
Eric...agreed...great first name

Sorry for misunderstanding the "wait a couple days" portion of your post. I was a tad too deep into a very enjoyable Friday evening when writing my reply

In any case, thank you very much for the advice regarding the back stamp. I truly appreciate it.

Have a great weekend.

Best Regards,

Eric
Old 04-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Eric,

Here are a couple examples of how the stamp might bleed if soaked. I bought these this way and didn't soak them myself so I don't know exactly how these stamps got wet, but you can see the results clearly enough.

Thanks,

AndyH
Andy,

What can I say?

I will not be soaking the Davis.

Thank you very much for providing these photos.

And my sincerest thanks for those who weighed in here. Your input is truly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Eric