NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
To the members here, I won't apologize for going a bit off-track here, but I am done with this subject. I have made my points.

Done.
Great "points" by both of you, especially the one on Travis' one dimensional, narrow minded, tunnel visioned, selective bashing, unrelenting head.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Banned

say what you want, but you cant say i wasnt right.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Richard Simon

Just for the heck of it though, if anyone sees the COA's of GFA I would love to see them and the item that is authenticated.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 02-03-2012, 02:54 AM

Default Read the following about Fakes

http://www.autographalert.com
I dont think ebay, psa/dna, or the rest of the so called best experts are mentioned more that 50-60 times with examples. Hmmmm Im so upset, I was told by the yeller on youtube psa/dna was the BEST and only~!
Your right about one thing...
Old 02-03-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardboy View Post
I dont think ebay, psa/dna, or the rest of the so called best experts are mentioned more that 50-60 times with examples. Hmmmm Im so upset, I was told by the yeller on youtube psa/dna was the BEST and only~!
Welcome back Pete!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Welcome back Pete!
I'm on it.....yardboy is "Ken Fraley" and if it is Ken, he and I will be having a nice chat today. If it isn't then I will take care of it......LL
Old 02-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Steve Zarelli

Anyone else suspect that "Ken" is someone who was tossed off eBay for selling fakes? In my experience, those are the types that tend to attack the TomTresh videos the most vigorously.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:30 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Anyone else suspect that "Ken" is someone who was tossed off eBay for selling fakes? In my experience, those are the types that tend to attack the TomTresh videos the most vigorously.

+1
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 02-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Welcome back Pete!
I don't think so.
--
Old 02-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardboy View Post
I don't mind anyone bashing me for what I say, do or write, but at least be a man about it and show your true identity.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I don't mind anyone bashing me for what I say, do or write, but at least be a man about it and show your true identity.
Well, this gentleman's wife answered the phone, and once he got on the phone, he and I had a very nice 15 minute chat. He totally understands and appreciates trying to keep this place as "real" as possible. He also told me he had a personally signed Mantle autograph that PSA said was questionable and would not certify. I believe Ken is on the same team as us and feels the same way we do. He can't stand what has happened to this part of the hobby. best regards

Last edited by Leon; 02-03-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
He also told me he had a personally signed Mantle autograph that PSA said was questionable and would not certify. I believe Ken is on the same team as us and feels the same way we do. He can't stand what has happened to this part of the hobby. best regards
So, another scorned submitter lashing out.

I'm frankly puzzled what people mean when they say stuff like, "can't stand what has happened to this part of the hobby."

Were they around in the 90s when literally 80% of the stuff on ebay was fake? Did they go to any of the shows in the 90s when many of the show dealers were selling Marino Family forgeries and no one knew it? Have they forgotten the so-called reputable dealers like B&J Collectibles and Stans Sports selling forgeries by the truckload at shows and in big glossy magazine ads?

Admittedly, the hobby has its issues, but it's way cleaner now than it was a decade ago.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:06 PM

According to Chris, 80% of the stuff on eBay is still crap.
(And 80% of the buyers and sellers don't know what they're doing.

Nice round number, 80%.)
Old 02-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Christopher Williams

I haven't made a video in about nine months and during that time Ebay has made tremendous strides with help from its members in eradicating forgeries. It will never be 100%, that would be impossible, but Ebay finally took a step forward to removing forgeries from their auction site.

During the last year Ebay added Nicholas Burczyk, TTA (Ted Taylor) and Chris Morales to the "Banned COA" list.

Chris Morales, Forensic Investigator, on the "Banned List" and Ted Taylor (TTA and Stat Authentic), Philadelphia Athletics Historian, on the "Banned List" with his renamed authentication company. Congrats to both Taylor and Morales.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 02-03-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:50 PM

just curious, who or how would you report someone on ebay who may be selling very large amounts of forgeries? I'm talking about someone who could actually do something about it.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
So, another scorned submitter lashing out.

I'm frankly puzzled what people mean when they say stuff like, "can't stand what has happened to this part of the hobby."

Were they around in the 90s when literally 80% of the stuff on ebay was fake? Did they go to any of the shows in the 90s when many of the show dealers were selling Marino Family forgeries and no one knew it? Have they forgotten the so-called reputable dealers like B&J Collectibles and Stans Sports selling forgeries by the truckload at shows and in big glossy magazine ads?

Admittedly, the hobby has its issues, but it's way cleaner now than it was a decade ago.
Admittedly I don't collect autographs. I have enough headaches on the card side and I "think" I know what I am doing over there. I did tell Ken, while on the phone, that I think the TPA's have probably helped the autograph part of the hobby "some".....I just don't have enough experience to really know how much. I will let you guys hash all of that out. Ken does collect some autographs and did make the statement I said, and in reading this board, it seems like he isn't the only one that feels this way. Now, there are also those folks that think TPG (the card graders) have hurt that side of the hobby. I disagree with them as I do know that part of the hobby and think they have helped. It still isn't perfect but, to me, is a lot better with them than without them. As one of the SGC guys and myself were chatting this morning, concerning a fairly obvious error they made and are trying to rectify....the overriding sentiment is, "you will never make everyone happy." That's the only thing I am certain of!!

Last edited by Leon; 02-03-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Admittedly I don't collect autographs. I have enough headaches on the card side and I "think" I know what I am doing over there. I did tell Ken, while on the phone, that I think the TPA's have probably helped the autograph part of the hobby "some".....I just don't have enough experience to really know how much. I will let you guys hash all of that out. Ken does collect some autographs and did make the statement I said, and in reading this board, it seems like he isn't the only one that feels this way. Now, there are also those folks that think TPG (the card graders) have hurt that side of the hobby. I disagree with them as I do know that part of the hobby and think they have helped. It still isn't perfect but, to me, is a lot better with them than without them. As one of the SGC guys and myself were chatting this morning, concerning a fairly obvious error they made and are trying to rectify....the overriding sentiement is, "you will never make everyone happy." That's the only thing I am certain of!!
It's funny that the same people who complain about the mistakes that PSA, JSA, BGS or SGC make, don't complain when their PSA 10 card/autograph, JSA card/autograph, SGC card or BGS 9.5/10 card sells for a tremendous amount of money because of that PSA, BGS, JSA or SGC high grade or authenticated autograph.

We are all human and we all make mistakes. Some complain because their in-person autograph wasn't authenticated; I don't blame any authenticator who errs on the side of caution as opposed to maybe certing a forgery.

Most collectors have their cards graded or autographs authenticated so that their card or autograph sells for a higher premium.

There was a discussion on the other side about a Ozzie Smith PSA 10 rookie card that sold for $20,000. The collector who got that card graded made a nice penny on that card and the buyer of that card now owns a rare Ozzie Smith PSA 10 rookie card. Both the seller and buyer got what they wanted.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:22 PM

Another idiot who buys the holder rather than the card.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Another idiot who buys the holder rather than the card.
Obviously the seller was able to afford it and he has bragging rights to an Ozzie Smith "1979 Topps" rookie card "Population 4." Good for him.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:33 PM

Yeah. Good for him.

(BTW, he also has bragging rights for being a semifinalist for the 2012 "More Money than Brains" award.)

Last edited by David Atkatz; 02-03-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Scott

IMO, the PSA pop business like "one of four graded" is misleading. That is OF ONES GRADED. What about the people who either don't want/can't afford/don't care bout "professional grading"? There is NO way on God's Green Earth there are not MORE MINT Ozzie Rookies out there. Thus, the idea that the "pop is this" does NOT mean that many exist, just that many who someone has cared to get graded. So, I think its ridiculous overall.

That said, for those who do place such a high value on graded cards that any ungraded ones in high grade are basically irrelevant. are happy.

Course, tho I think its nuts. I also know the guy who paid what is a ridiculous 20K for that is happy, so its his life.

Sorry Leon for this , but I wrapped up my thought on it, since the thread had jumped the tracks.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Banned

they are buying the grade, and not the card.

Some high 9's of smith have the 9 grade on the holder because psa doesnt do 9.5's, and these high 9's are in the same condition as the 10 in many instances, just a lot less expensive. They were close but fell on the 9 side of the fence in the graders mind based on if the grader was feeling conservative or liberal that day.

some high 9's keep getting resubmitted by the submitter until it comes back a 10. They are chasing the grade only.

so they have the same card either way, they just want that #10 on there, for the price increase and bragging rights, but the card didnt change.

It's not about the card anymore. If I wanted a pristine ozzie smith card, just buy a nice 9 and save the vast bulk of the purchase price a 10 would cost. even add your own 10 label on it if someone needed the ego boost.

Some guy paid 90 grand for a psa 10 wayne gretzky rookie. It's just insanity, but there are guys out there that already have a lexus for every day of the week and they need to spend their money on something I guess.

its the same thing with getting an LOA with autographs. Many collectors just want the cert, and if the autograph is actually real or not is secondary. They would rather have a fake autograph with a abc/xyz cert than a real one without an LOA. As long as no one tells them the truth.

Last edited by travrosty; 02-03-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Christopher Williams

Imagine, beating up a collector because with his own hard-earned money, he desired, and now owns one of four Ozzie Smith "1979 Topps" rookie cards graded PSA 10. Pitiful.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 02-03-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:57 PM

Give it a rest, Chris. I sure hope PSA or JSA don't turn a corner too quickly, 'cause it might break your neck.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Give it a rest, Chris. I sure hope PSA or JSA don't turn a corner too quickly, 'cause it might break your neck.
Imagine, beating up a collector because with his own hard-earned money, he desired, and now owns one of four Ozzie Smith "1979 Topps" rookie cards graded PSA 10. Pitiful.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Imagine, beating up a collector because with his own hard-earned money, he desired, and now owns an eBay Mantle forgery. What kind of person would beat up a collector for that? Oh, wait...

BTW, the moron who bought the Smith is out a sh#tload more money than the poor sap with the bad Mantle!
Old 02-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Imagine, beating up a collector because with his own hard-earned money, he desired, and now owns an eBay Mantle forgery. What kind of person would beat up a collector for that? Oh, wait...

BTW, the moron who bought the Smith is out a sh#tload more money than the poor sap with the bad Mantle!
Who are you to tell someone else how to spend their hard-earned money on his collection?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Banned

He's not collecting the card, he's collecting the grade.

There are 9's out there in the same condition, just a LOT cheaper.

He's a status collector, he collected the status of being a grade 10 - 1 of 4 in a certain circle of collectors that no else is admitted in this circle unless they want to pay that amount also.

There is an app for the iphone called the "I am rich" app, and it consists of a red jewel that shows up on your iphone and that's all it does.

It cost 1000 dollars and some people have bought it for the sole status of saying that they own it and have the means to own it.

He can buy the ozzie smith if he wants to. but he's not buying card or even the condition, he's buying the status, grade 10 - 1 of 4.

If he took it out of the holder, it would still be the same card in the same condition, but he couldn't show others the #10 on the holder anymore and it wouldnt be worth the money even though it is the same card.

i don't know who the guy is, he collects for his own reasons, and others collect for their reasons too, and we don't have to agree.

If he paid 10 million for the card you would think he was still sane? we just have different sane thresholds and #10 cards going for that kind of money crossed my threshold a while ago.

but he can go for it and knock himself out. It's a free country.

Last edited by travrosty; 02-03-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
He's not collecting the card, he's collecting the grade.

There are 9's out there in the same condition, just a LOT cheaper.

He's a status collector, he collected the status of being a grade 10 - 1 of 4 in a certain circle of collectors that no else is admitted in this circle unless they want to pay that amount also.

There is an app for the iphone called the "I am rich" app, and it consists of a red jewel that shows up on your iphone and that's all it does.

It cost 1000 dollars and some people have bought it for the sole status of saying that they own it and have the means to own it.

He can buy the ozzie smith if he wants to. but he's not buying card or even the condition, he's buying the status, grade 10 - 1 of 4.

If he took it out of the holder, it would still be the same card in the same condition, but he couldn't show others the #10 on the holder anymore and it wouldnt be worth the money even though it is the same card.

i don't know who the guy is, he collects for his own reasons, and others collect for their reasons too, and we don't have to agree.

If he paid 10 million for the card you would think he was still sane? we just have different sane thresholds and #10 cards going for that kind of money crossed my threshold a while ago.

but he can go for it and knock himself out. It's a free country.
Oh I see what you mean, Travis. So the collector who purchased the below piece of crap with the Todd Mueller Autographs cert, bought the cert and not the autograph.

Jeter-TMueller-Forgery.jpg
Old 02-03-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Who are you to tell someone else how to spend their hard-earned money on his collection?
Oops! I guess for a minute there I thought I was tomtresh2!
Old 02-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Oops! I guess for a minute there I thought I was tomtresh2!
That's not possible, David. You see, you're easily intimidated. I'm not.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Christopher Williams

Travis wrote "He's not collecting the card, he's collecting the grade."

So what if he did collect the grade. The population reports reads that the buyer of that card owns one of four of that particular PSA 10 graded card. That's not an illusion, that's real. If that's what he paid for, so what. What business is it of yours? How does that purchase affect your life, Travis? Explain that to everyone here.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
That's not possible, David. You see, you're easily intimidated. I'm not.
And you're a jerk.

I'm not.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:

So what if he did collect the grade. The population reports reads that the buyer of that card owns one of four of that particular PSA 10 graded card. That's not an illusion, that's real. If that's what he paid for, so what. What business is it of yours? How does that purchase affect your life, Travis? Explain that to everyone here.
And how does some guy buying something on eBay that you don't like effect your life? Explain that to everyone here.

Hypocrite.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 02-03-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
And you're a jerk.

I'm not.
I'd rather be a jerk who is never intimidated and bullied, than someone who isn't a jerk who wimps out at the first sign of trouble.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
And how does some guy buying something on eBay that you don't like effect your life? Explain that to everyone here.

Hypocrite.
Because I care about the hobby and I do something about it when it comes to forgeries. I don't sit on the sidelines watching other people do the dirty work.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:33 PM

You'd just rather be a bully yourself. And you are. As well as being a self-centered, egotistical, moron. So proud of yourself for yelling at nameless eBay buyers on YouTube.

Real guts there, Chris. LOL
Old 02-03-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Because I care about the hobby and I do something about it when it comes to forgeries. I don't sit on the sidelines watching other people do the dirty work.
No videos in nine months, Chris? What happened? Camcorder break? (Or did someone make you an offer you couldn't refuse?)
Old 02-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
You'd just rather be a bully yourself. And you are. As well as being a self-centered, egotistical, moron. So proud of yourself for yelling at nameless eBay buyers on YouTube.

Real guts there, Chris. LOL
That's right, David, is does take guts to do what I do. I have my own method of doing things and that's what I do.

For someone who wimped out on the Piedmont thread, you sure have a lot to say.

I will end this here by stating, David, you're an agitator because you have nothing else to contribute here on Net54.

I will no longer reply to any Atkatz comments. I took the bait and this time I do apologize to the members here for allowing Atkatz to hijack this thread and for my contributing to that hijacking.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
No videos in nine months, Chris? What happened? Camcorder break? (Or did someone make you an offer you couldn't refuse?)
Two and half years of videos (almost 200) was enough. There was no need to do any more of them.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:45 PM

Self-righteous schmuck.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:47 PM

Chris! You replied immediately after saying you wouldn't! Does the left half of your brain have any idea what the right half is doing?
Old 02-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Banned

Quote:

It doesnt affect my life, i just think its crazy to overpay for a bump in condition that only a microscope can detect, if there is a bump in condition at all.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
And you're a jerk.

I'm not.

I don't understand why posts like this are tolerated on this forum??

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
Old 02-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Scott

I agree. This place is turning into nothing but a name calling contest, with two people who can't play in sandbox together. Really pathetic
Old 02-03-2012, 05:42 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Dude!!! What the hell happened in here? David c'mon quit pokin at Chris. It's completely uncalled for.

Anyways. It's one thing for a thread to go off topic, BUT not when there's already a thread about the topic. If you're gonna argue about the PSA 10 Ozzie, do it in the PSA 10 Ozzie thread.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
It doesnt affect my life, i just think its crazy to overpay for a bump in condition that only a microscope can detect, if there is a bump in condition at all.
In my opinion, uber "high grade" 10s are a theoretical grade and can't be consistantly replicated. A 10 could be 9.9 on another day and vice versa. It applies to cards, comics and coins.

That said, if someone wants to spend their money that way, that's their right. I'd prefer to spend my collecting dollars on 25 "near perfect" somethings than one imaginary perfect exemplar.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I don't understand why posts like this are tolerated on this forum??

Ken
And the one immediately preceding it should be tolerated, right?

Last edited by David Atkatz; 02-03-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
And the one immediately preceding it should be tolerated, right?
David, you've called him a jerk, hypocrite, self-righteous shmuck, and self-centered, egotistical, moron. After all of this, he called you an agitator. Step back and read the thread again, sir. YOU are dragging this thread down, and you know exactly what you are doing. I ask you to quote one post you've made on this thread that has had any purpose other than to stir the pot.

While we're at it, if someone is willing to spend $20,000 of their money on a baseball card is an "idiot," couldn't that name also be attached to someone who spends $10,000-20,000 on a signed baseball?

While we're at it (again,) I'm tired of hearing Chris bring up your continued silence on the Piedmont situation. How about breaking the cone of silence on that one so we can put it to rest, too?

Ken
Old 02-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default well crap

Well, crap. I don't really like to step in the middle of threads too much. That being said, when I put my manager cap on, and some good folks are all saying the same thing, then I need to say something. So here is the deal.

David- you need to cut the crap out. I get the fact you were irritated or whatever. If you can't add anything positive please don't just fuel the fire. At the same time, I will also ask Chris and others to keep their distance from you. Next one that throws a jab at each other will get a time out. I don't want this place to get out of control and it's gone far enough. I am trying to be fair to all parties and the board in general. If anyone has any questions....go for it. Thanks for your understanding.