NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Default True collectors

Posted By: walter ruether

In the opinoin of any collectors out there, would a true collector of vintage cards from the 1920,s colect each card from seperate sets even the the image of the player & the cards were identical being from seperate sets, for example the 1921 e120 & the 1922 w575 are identical cards with some players images exactly the same is it wise to collect identical cards if there from seperate sets , please share your thoughts email me at waltruether@yahoo.com, Im the Grandsom of MLB pitcher Duth ruether former 27 yan ect..

Old 01-17-2006, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Default True collectors

Posted By: davidcycleback

You can collect whichever way you see fit and still be a true collector.

Different cards can use the same image and will still be considered different cards. If someone was trying to get every card for a player, he or she would gather all the cards, even those with duplicate images. But there's no rule that you have to collect every card for a player.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Default True collectors

Posted By: Scot

Different people, Different collections.
1. Some pick one set and stick with it only.
2. Some collect every single card in each set.
3. Some combine different sets to build one with different types.
4. Some only collect one type from each set.
5. Some want Hall of Famers only.
6. Some have one card as a type to represent all.
7. You get the idea.

This is a tough era to collect to begin with. Even the no limit advanced collectors have holes in there 1920's era sets.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Default True collectors

Posted By: Brad Green

I collect only Lefty Grove cards, so you and I are both "player" collectors. If two cards are different in any way, I want examples of both cards. For example, there are two versions of the 1929 R316 cards. One has "Made in USA" on the bottom and the other doesn't. Despite that small difference, I want an example of each card. Some cards (the 1934 Batter-Up cards, for example) come in different colors. In cases like this, do you want only one card no matter what the color, or do you want to have each color -- even if this means having six 1934 Batter-Up cards of the same player? Well, I guess that comes down to your preference.

As a Lefty Grove collector, I want an example of each card that was made of Lefty Grove. In some cases I have chosen to get the different colors (the Batter-Ups, for example), while in other cases just one color is enough (the Uncle Jack's candy and W517's, for example). To me, it doesn't matter that the same picture of Lefty Grove was put on about 10 different cards. I view them as different cards and want one of each.

In the end, you have to make the decision of where to draw the line. Maybe you are content not buying a certain card because that card has the same picture as a card already in your collection. Nobody can fault you for this. It is your collection. And also, nobody says that you can't go back later and get those other cards that have the same picture.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Default True collectors

A few years ago, I read a reader's letter in the Sports Collector's Digest that I will never forget. The reader told a story of how almost every time he went to the local card shop to look through the 1973 Topps cards to try to finish his set, another collector was often there looking through the same set of cards. The reader assumed that the other collector was also trying to finish his 1973 Topps set. One day, the reader asked him what he collected. The other collector told the reader that he collected only 1973 Topps cards of players who wore glasses and did not play for the New York Mets or the New York Yankees.

I can't remember exactly how the story went, but I hope you get the idea that you can collect whatever you want. If you started another thread and asked people what their "collecting rules" were, you would get a lot of interesting responses.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Default True collectors

Posted By: Mike Campbell

For the most part I collect only Jimmie Foxx cards. Also anything else where he is the focus or on the cover. But relating to cards, if the cards are identical, but have different colors, or differ in any other way, that is acceptable. The reason being, one of the variations may be rarer. Or more interesting. For the most part, they must be grade 6 or better, except in cases where, I had better pick it up, regardless of condition, due to rarity.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Default True collectors

Posted By: identify7

I am curious Brad, why your Lefty Grove collection must have an example of each Batter Up color, but only a single color example for the w517 and Uncle Jack cards.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Default True collectors

Posted By: Sanzapatos

Walter,

In short, the answer is ABSOLUTELY! That's what collecting is about. Sure it can be collecting the images of just one person, or a whole team. Or a whole team over a certain era (Yankees dynasty?), but a TRUE collector will get them all and stop at nothing to do it!

Example: A few years ago, I needed this Gary Gaetti Fleer 1992 card to complete my "Gaettis of the 90's" collection. I took $2.00 from my kid's piggy bank to buy it. Was I happy about havign to resort to that? No. But I explained to my son that life is about "sacrafices". Now, I know that some people may take issue with this approach, but understand that I also offered to "return" that $2.00 with interest. SO, even though I never really intend on paying him back (hey, he'll eventually get the Gaetti collection), he learned TWO valuable lessons: 1)earn interest when you loan someone money and 2)usury is risky.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Default True collectors

Posted By: Cat

I guess it's only appropirate that someone named SinZapatos would have to borrow money from the kids piggy bank to buy a Gary Gaetti card.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Default True collectors

Gil:

Affordability and rarity. I can afford to get the different colors of the Batter-Up cards and they are relatively easy to find. On the other hand, I have only seen two Uncle Jack's Lefty Grove cards. I don't even know how many different colors the Uncle Jack's cards come in. But, if I were to buy all of the different colors of cards (assuming I could find them), I would probably be broke since they are more expensive than the batter ups. To buy all of the different colors of W-517's might also cost quite a bit. Don't get me wrong. If the different colors come along and I can afford them, then I would buy them. But, the different color variation of these two particular cards are not necessarily a requirement for my collection at this time.

Brad

Old 01-17-2006, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Default True collectors

Posted By: andy becker

classic. cat, i'm with you.....gary gaetti......i just about fell over.

collect what makes you happy, if you don't know what that is....you haven't found it yet.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Default True collectors

Posted By: Sanzapatos

"I guess it's only appropirate that someone named SinZapatos would have to borrow money from the kids piggy bank to buy a Gary Gaetti card."

I'll be able to "borrow" shoes from him, too, once my boy is full grown.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Default True collectors

Posted By: identify7

Well Brad, I have to agree that collecting all of the (probably not fully identified)Uncle Jacks may not be an attainable objective. But seeing how nice the various colors of the Batter Ups look together, particularly with the same pose, Id be tempted to include the w517s.

That set though appears to have quite a bit of variations in color intensity and blending of colors. As well as yellowing of the stock - which makes similarly colored cards appear different. But I like the set. And a vg example should run $50 or less.

But to answer Walter's question: I think a true collector is one who identifies the scope of his collection based on his own criteria. And although he may entertain the opinions of others, he recognizes that it is himself only who has to be pleased.

Heck, there are some collectors here who collect all poses of a single OJ player. Others try to accumulate all existing cards of that pose or player. Some collect ... whatever whim pleases them. These are all true collectors, eventhough some are also called hoarders.

Old 01-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Default True collectors

Posted By: walter ruether

Thank you for all your responses, I collect cards of my Grandfather Dutch ruether & there are several cards with identical pictures from diff sets, Ive decided to keep them all & acumulate all his cards despite some are identical, I agree its more intresting to have all of them due to rarity ect. I collect any ruether cards graded a 5 or better unless of course I can find his diaz cigg card which ive been looking for for 10 yrs & have never even seen one, Also his 1916 zee nut a very tough find.