NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Default The Problems with Slabbing "packs" - Piedmont

Posted By: canjond

Ok Ok - not meant to bash any company so please don't think this is one of the million posts we have about the different companies; but here is the problem when companies slab items they don't fully understand...

http://cgi.ebay.com/HONUS-WAGNER-UNOPENED-BASEBALL-PACK-T206-PIEDMONT-GAI_W0QQitemZ8747168667QQcategoryZ27260QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

I can't really fault GAI as they did not claim this is a 1909-1912 pack like they did for a little while. However, the seller is misleading people; at least in my opinion; and the buyer is going to learn an expensive lesson! I'm sure GAI's encapsulation can be credited with over $2000+ in bid thus far. And to think, no baseball card is even remotely possible in this pack!

Old 01-12-2006, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce MacPherson

Jon,

I am not a pack collector, but I am curious for some insight as to why the pack does not contain a T206 and is not from the 1909-11 era. I assume that the factory number is wrong for a t206 card, but how can you date the pack? Can you elaborate a bit. Thanks

Old 01-12-2006, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

The first major give away is the 12 cigarette pack as opposed to a 10 cigarette pack. A second problem with the pack is the Liggett & Meyers designation on the bottom of the pack as the American Tobacco Company did not break apart until 1911, making it extremely unlikely a card could make it into an L&M pack although possible. The last problem is the dating of the pack. The tax stamp would be a 1903 with an over print, a 1909, or a 1910 with an overprint. All are missing. Without seeing more of the pack, my guess is that it dates from 1920ish give or take - most likely 1918-19.

Old 01-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

Thank you Jon.

I grieve for the winner.
An education can be expensive, and scholarships are hard to find.

However, I feel that we can all agree on one thing, and that is:
Graders are outstanding when it comes to corners and sides.

Jon, you've not only done your homework on the subject matter, but you have also written a book on it.

Bravo and thank you for the heads up. .....

Old 01-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

The over-hyped description and private auction doesn't make one feel good either.
JimB

Old 01-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

It's a shame that the bidders can't somehow be warned -- or at least made to be more informed.

It's obvious that you know whereof you speak. While we have zero knowledge about unopened cigarette packs (or any cigarette packs, for that matter), we still would be far more inclined to trust your opinion than the seller's.

We learned about the auction through your post. Now even if we HADN'T read your post first, we still would have found the auction page itself to be ridiculously overhyped. Promoting an item is one thing, but that page practically screams used car salesman. (It reminds us of those Crazy Eddie's commercials from the 1970's.)

We wrote to the seller, and actually brought the post to his attention. His reply was friendly enough, but unfortunately (and not too surprisingly), he did NOT elect to post our question and his reply on the auction page as he had done for a few other questions. Not that we expected him to make it publicly available -- after all, reading your post would have undoubtedly given his bidders a great deal of pause.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the auction and your knowledge on the subject -- we'll probably never have the occasion to put it to good use, but then again, you never know.

In case you're interested in seeing what the seller had to say, here's our question and his reply:

Item: HONUS WAGNER UNOPENED BASEBALL PACK T206 PIEDMONT GAI (8747168667)
This message was sent while the listing was active.
josepheenella is a potential buyer.

We don't doubt the authenticity of the pack itself, but at this point do have strong doubts as to the possibility of a card existing within the pack. This is not our realm of expertise, but please read the posting here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1137041181/last-1137076241/The+Problems+with+Slabbing+%26quot%3Bpacks%26quot% 3B+-+Piedmont

The above posting is how we found your auction. Again, this is beyond our own field of expertise, but there are those who would say that your auction is excessively hyped-up and overindulgent, given the myriad of questions it raises. [Writing off the absence of a tax stamp by saying, don't ask for one, for some reason there isn't one, seems odd.] According to people in the know, so to speak, the very probability (or impossibility) of the insertion of a card -- comes down to the year of production, which is determinable by the tax stamp. Just wanted to bring the thread to your attention, and would be interested in your response.

Response from jayco31bh
Item: HONUS WAGNER UNOPENED BASEBALL PACK T206 PIEDMONT GAI (8747168667)
This message was sent while the listing was active.
jayco31bh is the seller.

THANKS FOR THE EMAIL. THE REASON I SAY DON'T ASK ABOUT A TAX STAMP IS THAT I EXPECTED 10,000 PEOPLE TO ASK AND FOR WHATEVER IT HAS NOT BEEN STAMPED, AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHY. OF COURSE I WAS NOT BORN AT THE TIME AND MY KNOWLEDGE OF THAT IS 0. I WAS NOT TRYING TO MISLEAD, JUST DON'T KNOW. IS MY LISTING OVER HYPED? WELL I DO TRY TO GET THEM MOST FOR MY $$, SINCE EBAY DOES NOT CHARGE US BY THE WORD.

I TRY TO BE HONEST IN MY WRITE UPS. SHOWING ALL PICTURES AND SAYING THERE MAY OR MAY NOT BE A CARD IN THERE. WHAT I HAVE FOUND IS JUST LIKE MY BUSINESS, PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY ARE IN THE KNOW--MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT BE. WHO REALLY KNOWS.

I DO APPRECIATE YOUR EMAIL AND ALWAYS TRY TO ANSWER AS HONESTLY AS POSSIBLE. BEST OF LUCK. THANKS

Old 01-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Old 01-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Old 01-13-2006, 02:44 AM
Administrator

To All Investors:
Don't miss out -- Sign the Private Guestbook.

Remember:
It's Authenticated -- and:

The Seller ALWAYS TRIES TO ANSWER AS HONESTLY ------- AS POSSIBLE.

Sellers words:
"I DO APPRECIATE YOUR EMAIL AND ALWAYS TRY TO ANSWER AS HONESTLY AS POSSIBLE."

Old 01-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean

Sold for $4500...

Old 01-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

Wow! What a sucker!

eBay should have a button on their auctions that would tell the buyer what to look out for when it comes to fraud on the most popular fraudulent items. I'd be happy to contribute info. (I already suggested to eBay, no response).

Old 01-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Administrator

It's Authenticated -- and:

The Seller ALWAYS TRIES TO ANSWER AS HONESTLY ------------------ AS POSSIBLE.

Old 01-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Administrator

?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Honus-wagner-T206-tobacco-pack_W0QQitemZ8749368113QQcategoryZ44827QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Did it originates here? .....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44827&item=8710628381

Is it a Mr. X? ....

Old 01-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

I have noticed that a lot of these unopened packs are from Factory 30, North Carolina. Of course, all of the T206 cards having a Factory 30 back are from New York. Does anybody know the history of Factory 30? Was it moved from New York to North Carolina sometime after the T206 production run? If so, when?

Thanks.

Scot

Old 01-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Unfortunately I do not have all of my sheets here to look up all of the factory information. However, a few years back, there was a large find of unopened Sweet Caporal backs from the "Ask Dad" advertising camapign of the late teens (I believe around 1918-19). This may be the factory in which the finds were made from. Again, someone else may know as I do not have the relevant info with me at school but it seems plausible. All in all, these unopened packs are worth a couple hundred tops; not a couple thousand!!!

Old 01-16-2006, 03:36 PM
Administrator

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-19-SWEET-CAPORAL-UNOPENED-PACK-GAI-7-T206-MR-X_W0QQitemZ8752360493QQcategoryZ44827QQssPageNameZ WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 01-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

You're right Jon. Ask Dad were from Factory 30, 2nd District NY. American Tobacco Co.