NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-29-2016, 03:08 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
You're really comparing a piece of cardboard graded by a (censored) to a Ferrari?
It's a crazy world we live in. I would love to meet one of these people and try to understand the thought process of 700k for a cheap piece of cardboard with a crappy photo on it.

At the peak of tulip mania, in March 1637, some single tulip bulbs sold for more than 10 times the annual income of a skilled craftsman. Now it's Rose mania.
Not directly. I'm just saying that collectors who can afford a 50 mil Ferrari probably see baseball cards a little different than you or I do. Someone else asked if anyone thought the Rose was a good investment at 700k, and if so, why. I do feel it was a good buy. If it ever sells publicly again this sale will look like a bargain.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:41 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
Sold For: $71,700.00
The PSA 7 Cobb Green sold for $71,700.
The PSA 5.5 sold for $26,300.

A PSA 6 Cobb Green sold for $19,000 a couple months ago.

And there was an SGC 5 in Huggins and Scott last month that went for $8,000. One month later, and this one is starting to look like a bargain.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:46 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Not directly. I'm just saying that collectors who can afford a 50 mil Ferrari probably see baseball cards a little different than you or I do. Someone else asked if anyone thought the Rose was a good investment at 700k, and if so, why. I do feel it was a good buy. If it ever sells publicly again this sale will look like a bargain.
I don't see it. How many people do u think value a rose that high not many in my opinion. To garner a return I would think there would have to be several willing to pay 500k plus. I just honestly can't see that much chasing baseball cards. There has to be near 100 million in high grade cards purchased over the past 4-5 months. Even if it's an investment fund can't see that they have been seeded with much more. As for individuals even if you have 500 million in the bank i would be surprised if you allocate say 20 million to purchasing cards. A Ferrari is different it's a true object of desire for wealthy individuals world wide, the number of individuals willing to pay say 10 million for a single vehicle creates a sustainable supply/demand situation. If a fund is purchasing these cards I hope they have high and lengthy gates, they will find liquidity difficult if there are redemptions and when that happens you don't want to be the last one in

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 08-29-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:14 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

LOL, for $700k I bet Pete would move in with you.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:16 PM
Mark Hooks

Does anyone know what the T206 sold for?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 08-29-2016, 04:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I thought you said that one had your name on it, Jay?
Old 08-29-2016, 04:22 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Nah, I missed out on Joe Frasier's jock strap so I holding out till Pete's comes to auction.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:28 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Nailed it.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:32 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyredlegs View Post
Does anyone know what the T206 sold for?

Thanks,

Mark
Which one?
Old 08-29-2016, 04:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

PSA has graded 28 mint Rose rookies. One (for now) carries an arbitrary "10" designation. I would not like my odds of being able to pick that 10 out of the group if I could not see the flips. When the value of something derives solely from the flip a TPG puts on it, and not from its intrinsic qualities, I would not feel confident in its investment potential.

And I am not impressed with the argument about people being so rich what's a million for a Rose rookie. The hobby has always had its share of wealthy collectors, but historically prices have never been anywhere close to some of these levels.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:10 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
You're really comparing a piece of cardboard graded by a (censored) to a Ferrari?
It's a crazy world we live in. I would love to meet one of these people and try to understand the thought process of 700k for a cheap piece of cardboard with a crappy photo on it.

At the peak of tulip mania, in March 1637, some single tulip bulbs sold for more than 10 times the annual income of a skilled craftsman. Now it's Rose mania.
Like the Ferrari, the card is also viewed the same, it is just an object/investment vehicle.

I am sure there are "True" collectors of both high end auto's and cards but I also believe there are those that only view these things as items and investment vehicles, nothing more.

An investment vehicle is a product used by investors with the intention of gaining positive returns. Investment vehicles can be low risk, such as certificates of deposit (CDs) or bonds, or carry a greater degree of risk such as with stocks, options and futures.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:26 PM
Mark Hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Which one?
Sean,

It was the one that had about 50 graded cards. It was going for $18K before the juice with 2.5 hours left.

Mark
Old 08-29-2016, 10:33 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyredlegs View Post
sean,

it was the one that had about 50 graded cards. It was going for $18k before the juice with 2.5 hours left.

Mark
$22,700
Old 08-30-2016, 04:38 AM
Jeff Lazarus

On the other end of the spectrum (maybe of less interest to people in this thread) but the items related to the world Tours (1922, 1924, 1931) largely sold for far less than estimated prices. Seems like other than the '34 Tour and some items from the '31 Tour, interest is not particularly high.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:14 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

what I find interesting is that the "rich people don't care" argument is never advanced by the rich. I have a feeling that guys with millions to spend didn't get there by being spendthrifts.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-30-2016, 06:18 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
what I find interesting is that the "rich people don't care" argument is never advanced by the rich. I have a feeling that guys with millions to spend didn't get there by being spendthrifts.

+1
Old 08-30-2016, 06:29 AM
Mark Hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
$22,700
Thanks Sean.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:22 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Yep, so true. My son goes to a private school that just started some new third party service to pay tuition. (A not cheap tuition.) This new company allows you to pay by mail but you can pay immediately online via credit card for a mere $42.00 "convenience fee". What a joke. Some convenience. When I raised this with the registrar she said "yeah. . . . nobody is using that on line option." Yep, a lot of rich people who didn't get rich pissing away $40 for no good reason.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-30-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:27 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Yep, so true. My son goes to a private school that just started some new third party service to pay tuition. (A not cheap tuition.) This new company allows you to pay by mail but you can pay immediately online via credit card for a mere $42.00 "convenience fee". What a joke. Some convenience. When I raised this with the registrar she said "yeah. . . . nobody is using that on line option." Yep, a lot of rich people who didn't get rich pissing away $40 for no good reason.
This "convenience" fee has become de rigeur...esp when paying the city/state. You now have to pay extra to pay online/phone.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:52 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
This "convenience" fee has become de rigeur...esp when paying the city/state. You now have to pay extra to pay online/phone.
Not so everywhere yet. I just received my VA driver's license renewal form - the license renewal fee is:
- $35 if done in person at the local DMV office.
- $32 if done via mail.
- $31 if done online.

Last edited by ValKehl; 08-30-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:54 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Not so everywhere yet. I just received my VA driver's license renewal form - the license renewal fee is:
- $32 if done via mail.
- $31 if done online.
mn isn't so "nice!"
Old 08-30-2016, 03:38 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
- $32 if done via mail.
- $31 if done online.
This makes most sense in that on line payment requires so many fewer man hours than processing in person or mailed payments. That said, SF charges some nice convenience fees to pay parking tickets on line.

Seems fees are becoming a pretty important source of revenue for a lot of entities... United Airlines is one of the biggest violators.

BELOW RANT FOR THOSE WHO FLY REGULARLY
I'm gonna ramble because I fly a lot for work. I expect others who do will know where I'm coming from.. and those who don't, please feel free to ignore me. Anyway, I typically use SW (AirTran too) or Alaska, both of which are great. United on the other hand is a total joke. At the automated SW kiosk there are maybe 2-3 steps for check in, none of which involve fees. United on the other hand has about 8 steps, all but maybe two (enter your confirmation # and print your boarding pass) involving fees. They go something like this---- "are you checking a bag for $40?", "do you want more leg room for $40", "do you want to sit in an elite (forward) area $40?", "do you want upgrade to window or aisle for $40?", "do you want to upgrade your boarding group for only $40?". Once on the flight, the TV screen is running a continual commercial trying to get you to swipe your card to watch TV. On a flight last week, I tried throughout the flight to turn the screen off, but could not.

At SFO, United also has a little contracted baggage policeman at their TSA security gate (this security gate only goes to United gates) who flags people down for having an extra hand bag, or if their bag looks too big. Anyone they grab is gonna get stuck having to go back, stand in line, check a bag and pay because almost no one's bag really fits in that little baggage size checker/thingo (I'd guess that fewer than 1/2 the carry on bags actually fit that thing, yet almost ALL will fit in the overhead once on the plane). ALL other airlines at SFO do not have this person at the security screening station, they just do what they're supposed to do--- screen/X-ray your bags. I'm certain United only stations this person there in order to augment revenue via bag fees.

Back to cards

I posted similar in another thread and totally agree with earlier comments about PSA (or other TPG) graders potentially being tempted to collude amongst themselves (or a lone person acting with outside people) to upgrade 9s to 10s, sell them and split the hundreds of thousands' profit.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:01 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
This makes most sense in that on line payment requires so many fewer man hours than processing in person or mailed payments. That said, SF charges some nice convenience fees to pay parking tickets on line.

Seems fees are becoming a pretty important source of revenue for a lot of entities... United Airlines is one of the biggest violators.

BELOW RANT FOR THOSE WHO FLY REGULARLY
I'm gonna ramble because I fly a lot for work. I expect others who do will know where I'm coming from.. and those who don't, please feel free to ignore me. Anyway, I typically use SW (AirTran too) or Alaska, both of which are great. United on the other hand is a total joke. At the automated SW kiosk there are maybe 2-3 steps for check in, none of which involve fees. United on the other hand has about 8 steps, all but maybe two (enter your confirmation # and print your boarding pass) involving fees. They go something like this---- "are you checking a bag for $40?", "do you want more leg room for $40", "do you want to sit in an elite (forward) area $40?", "do you want upgrade to window or aisle for $40?", "do you want to upgrade your boarding group for only $40?". Once on the flight, the TV screen is running a continual commercial trying to get you to swipe your card to watch TV. On a flight last week, I tried throughout the flight to turn the screen off, but could not.

At SFO, United also has a little contracted baggage policeman at their TSA security gate (this security gate only goes to United gates) who flags people down for having an extra hand bag, or if their bag looks too big. Anyone they grab is gonna get stuck having to go back, stand in line, check a bag and pay because almost no one's bag really fits in that little baggage size checker/thingo (I'd guess that fewer than 1/2 the carry on bags actually fit that thing, yet almost ALL will fit in the overhead once on the plane). ALL other airlines at SFO do not have this person at the security screening station, they just do what they're supposed to do--- screen/X-ray your bags. I'm certain United only stations this person there in order to augment revenue via bag fees.

Back to cards

I posted similar in another thread and totally agree with earlier comments about PSA (or other TPG) graders potentially being tempted to collude amongst themselves (or a lone person acting with outside people) to upgrade 9s to 10s, sell them and split the hundreds of thousands' profit.
The United baggage policeman is the greatest thing ever. It always pisses me off when getting ready to board and half a dozen businessmen are there. They have their suit jacket, a heavy coat, a laptop case, briefcase, and a carry on that is twice the size allowed. They usually all set together and take up every overhead storage bin within several rows. I have one carry on that is the proper size and usually get stuck sitting by those entitled A-Holes. I love the baggage police but agree with everything else.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:41 PM
je.sse @rnot

I agree with you guys on avoiding extra fees when possible. I have paid cash at a gas station because I refused to pay a debit or credit card fee of a buck or so. Also mailed in a check to pre pay a year or so worth of water bills because of an online convenience fee. Easier than writing a check every month.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:22 PM
Val Kehl

"A dollar saved is a dollar earned" that can be spent on cards!
Old 08-30-2016, 08:56 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
The United baggage policeman is the greatest thing ever. It always pisses me off when getting ready to board and half a dozen businessmen are there. They have their suit jacket, a heavy coat, a laptop case, briefcase, and a carry on that is twice the size allowed. They usually all set together and take up every overhead storage bin within several rows. I have one carry on that is the proper size and usually get stuck sitting by those entitled A-Holes. I love the baggage police but agree with everything else.
Those are the dudes that have elite status or have paid for boarding upgrades and I'm pretty sure they're given near immunity with respect to bags at the gate.. that said, the United bag checker person at TSA doesn't consider that.

Funny, I SW I am typically one of those guys (perennial A-list preferred with companion pass), and do often take one extra thing That said, it's always a folding garment bag and I stuff it with my overhead so that it takes no extra space in the bin. If the flight is 1/2 empty, I'll lay it in a more wrinkle free manner.

I'd say it's maybe 1-50 times that they stop me, and only at certain airports, so it seems those at front of line get preferential treatment.. but given that SW doesn't charge for bags, you don't get every single passenger trying to carry every single item. I'd say it's probably 1-10 flights that they end up needing to stop people and check those final carry on bags... whereas United is virtually each flight.