NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Jim VB

Default Graded card storage?

As an offshoot to the Raw Cards thread, another question comes to mind.

How do most people store their graded cards? I'm not talking about those collectors who may have quality collections, but own 50-100 cards. I'm talking about large quantities of graded cards.

(A while back, on the other board, Jim Crandall shared some pictures of his card room with stacks upon stacks of upwards of 10,000 graded cards, but, I'm assuming most people doen't have an extra 800-1000 square feet of space in their home.)

I will start by saying that I recently found a source that sells boxes similar to the old MJ Roop boxes (both wood and chipboard.) I find these convenient for the few sets I have had graded, but they are fairly expensive and still bulky.

What does everyone else do?

Last edited by Jim VB; 09-30-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
A while back, on the other board, Jim Crandall...
who?
Old 09-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default stack 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
As an offshoot to the Raw Cards thread, another question comes to mind.

How do most people store their graded cards? I'm not talking about those collectors who may have quality collections, but own 50-100 cards. I'm talking about large quantities of graded cards.

(A while back, on the other board, Jim Crandall shared some pictures of his card room with stacks upon stacks of upwards of 10,000 graded cards, but, I'm assuming most people doen't have an extra 800-1000 square feet of space in their home.)

I will start by saying that I recently found a source that sells boxes similar to the old MJ Roop boxes (both wood and chipboard.) I find these convenient for the few sets I have had graded, but they are fairly expensive and still bulky.

What does everyone else do?
I only have approx 300-400 hundred slabbed cards but......I keep most in a large safe deposit box. Some of the less valuable ones I keep in a 1200lb jewelers safe... Let me reiterate....none of my expensive ones are at home . Inside the jewelers safe, which is rather large, I keep them mostly in 2 fireproof personal safes...along with stacking them high and deep in rubber bands. That's my secret.....

Last edited by Leon; 09-30-2009 at 07:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Pup6913

I use camera boxes. For profesional cameras. I find them at yard sales and then the foam comes in 1/2 x 1/2 squares which I remove just enough for the slabs or even the raw T cards I have in their small holders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wedding 006.jpg (80.2 KB, 887 views)
File Type: jpg wedding 008.jpg (78.4 KB, 886 views)
Old 09-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Doug C.

I keep mine in a fireproof lock box. It's more portable than a safe if I choose to take them anywhere, but they are locked up, hidden away and protected in case anything happens.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:11 AM
Dave Foster

Default Graded Card Storage

If portability isn't a concern, i.e., carting off to shows, and security at home is, try Sentry or Brinks fire safes, avail. @ Lowe's or Home Depot, sometimes Costco. Cheap, too! About $20 - $45. Bigger size will hold about 230 misc. graded - BVG, GAI, SGC, PSA. They're locking + fire protection to 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Empty weight alone - 50lbs? / 100lbs+ w/ cards - discourages walk off thievery. Agreed, not as secure as a safe deposit box in a bank, but then again, you don't have an annual fee or a drive to the bank to view your cards.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:36 AM
Chris / prewarprints.com

I've got the "expensive" stuff in a safe deposit box at the bank.

The balance of my cards is in one of these:

OP, are you talking about these?
http://aboxfactory.com/collectors.php
Old 10-01-2009, 07:03 AM
Jason

Default nevermind...

nevermind

Last edited by JasonL; 10-02-2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: moodiness
Old 10-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
...slabbed items that float around in my personal sea of mediocrity...

Joke all you want buddy, but today is October 1, which means Bruce can come back to the BST whenever he feels like it.

I'm all tingly just thinking about it.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Default graded card storage

I have the expensive stuff in a safe deposit box and the less expensive in SGC boxes.

Did you see a sign on my lawn that said graded card storage?
Old 10-01-2009, 10:36 AM

I think this is an interesting thread but I wonder if collectors shouldn't clam up with all the internet snooping and info available as to where their cards are, what they are in and how can they can be located
Old 10-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
I think this is an interesting thread but I wonder if collectors shouldn't clam up with all the internet snooping and info available as to where their cards are, what they are in and how can they can be located
That thought crossed my mind, but not until after I started the thread. I decided to let it run. I appreciate the security aspect and assume that most people use some combination of safe deposit boxes and/or safes.

I really asked because I recently, during a grading company special, had a couple of sets slabbed. Storing them is now a bigger challenge than it was when they were in binders.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Scott

I have some cards at my house.

If a thief comes to steal this...

they will have to deal with this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
Old 10-01-2009, 01:41 PM
D.B. Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Some of the less valuable ones I keep in a 1200lb jewelers safe... Let me reiterate....none of my expensive ones are at home . Inside the jewelers safe, which is rather large, I keep them mostly in 2 fireproof personal safes...along with stacking them high and deep in rubber bands. That's my secret.....
As someone who actually saw Leon carry the safe into his house, let me tell you it's a spectacular sight. He lifts with his knees, not his back.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S. View Post
As someone who actually saw Leon carry the safe into his house, let me tell you it's a spectacular sight. He lifts with his knees, not his back.
When we built our house we had a tow truck bring the safe in. Only my partner Scott could lift that darn thing.....and it might be a stretch for him...

As for security.....I thought of it too....but if someone comes to my house and steals everything they get almost nothing worth any real value. Now, if they want to commit a bank robbery and know which bank has my safe deposit box and which one it is, then I am in trouble....
Old 10-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Kevin S.

Jim,

On ebay they sell covered cardboard boxes specifically made to hold about 75 graded cards. Another collector and I went in together and bought in a bulk of 25, the overall cost this way was greatly reduced. I think we ended up paying around $2 each.

The cards stand upright inside and the boxes stack up nice and tidy. I added a nice machine label and they look great. Also makes organizing a breeze. Each is about 16" x 6".

With about 700 graded cards all over the place, it solved all my storage problems (which was a problem) in one fell swoop. I can't think of a better more economical solution.

Just do a quick search for "graded card boxes" Good Luck!

Kevin Saucier
Old 10-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

There are wooded MJ Roop boxes still floating around out there...they hold about 175 graded slabs.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Mike DeNero

Haha! Good one, Ken! I'm going to McD's to get me a Royale (with cheese)!
Old 10-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

I ran out of room here in the cabin and needed a new roof... so i stripped off the shingles and glued my entire collection of slabbed cards onto the sheathing up there ...just doing my part to be green.

anytime i wanna see my cards I just go to "google earth"
Old 10-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Felicia

Default storage

I use a 2500 lb safe, fire resistant, with double locks, the master lock cant be cut as a lock cutter cant be spread open to get to the lock itself. If you tried to weld thru it you would burn everything inside making it worthless.

My most expensive items are kept in a safe deposit box at the bank...

I also use the case below to store my 52 set which now resides inside the safe..

Last edited by IJustLoveCards; 10-01-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Andy M.

Kcohen, How much is that case and where can I buy one?? Andy
Old 10-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Andy M.

Where can I buy that type of case?? It looks real nice!
Old 10-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSACJ View Post
Where can I buy that type of case?? It looks real nice!
If you're referring to the ones like Felicia and I posted, contact Matt M (mbmiller25 on the PSA boards). He has a connection (owns? works for? sells for?) Pelican, the company that makes those cases. Really nice guy too. I couldn't be happier with the case.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I had these made for my exhibits (talll boy slabs) and have been very happy-

Old 10-02-2009, 03:20 PM

Scott- Nice. Does anyone know of any companies making storage holders for the larger sized slabs like 1911 and 1912 Zeenuts in the newer larger SGC slabs? It seems a shame to have them stacked in a safe with non-ease of access...
Old 11-09-2009, 06:57 PM

Slanty and/or felicia...

Where do I get my hands on one of those boxes?

Eric
Old 01-21-2011, 01:22 PM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantycouch View Post
I've got the "expensive" stuff in a safe deposit box at the bank.

The balance of my cards is in one of these:

OP, are you talking about these?
http://aboxfactory.com/collectors.php
I've been thinking about getting a nice storage box for my graded cards. I found this old thread. Does anybody have any information about the pictured box above?

How much?
Where to buy?
Who to contact to get one?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Matt Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
I've been thinking about getting a nice storage box for my graded cards. I found this old thread. Does anybody have any information about the pictured box above?

How much?
Where to buy?
Who to contact to get one?

Thanks!
Phil, I build those cases. Email me at mbmiller25@yahoo.com and I can give you details and answer any questions you have. Thanks Matt
Old 01-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Matt Miller

Default Case Information

I am getting quite a few emails in regards to these cases. I felt I should post a little information for all:

Cases will hold 250 PSA slabs, or 175 SGC slabs. If mixing, then it will hold somewhere in between the quantities quoted.

I charge $175 for the cases, which includes Fed-Ex shipping.

It takes me approximately 7-10 days to build these cases. They are custom made, not something that you can just buy off the shelf.

If you would like additional information, please contact me at mbmiller25@yahoo.com.

Thanks,