NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-23-2011, 10:23 AM

Default OT - Baseball Documentaries

I am heading out on a business trip next week and wanted to load up my ipod with some movies. Other than Ken Burns' Baseball Series any other good Baseball Documentaries that you would suggest?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:41 AM
John

The Hank Greenburg doc has been mentioned a few times lately. A freebie on Netflix.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:43 AM
D.B. Cooper

I watched "The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg" on Netflix last year and enjoyed it.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Frank Wakefield

There's a video of "The Glory of Their Times"... it's a great thing to see. It doesn't displace Mr. Ritter's book, nor the 4 CD set, but I find it a pleasure to watch.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:18 AM
J@RR0D

I enjoyed "Cobb", although it is not a doc. I also watched "A Player to Be Named Later" which is a doc about the modern day minor leagues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
There's a video of "The Glory of Their Times"... it's a great thing to see. It doesn't displace Mr. Ritter's book, nor the 4 CD set, but I find it a pleasure to watch.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:43 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

The HBO "When It Was A Game" trilogy is pretty solid. And the Baseball's Golden age episodes are pretty good as well.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Frank Wakefield

I agree, I really enjoyed When It Was A Game, all 3. I'd like to edit it down one day, cut out the Clown Prince of Baseball stuff, maybe a couple of the song montages... I like the film clips but the songs are too 'cute'. Totally worth watching, though.

There's some series that's about a Golden Era of baseball, when the Yankees, Giants, and Dodgers were all in New York, it's about baseball in the last half of the 40's up to when the wrecking ball bashes Ebbett's Field, as I recall.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:26 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Frank, I think you're referring to the "Baseball's Golden Age" Series. There's something like 13 episodes, I believe they usually air on Fox Sports Net...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball%27s_Golden_Age
Old 01-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Frank Wakefield

That could be it. I have 2 VHS tapes of it. Not recorded from broadcast, but original programs. What I have wasn't broken into 13 programs, it was close to 2 hours on each tape. Mel Allen might have narrated it. Never looked for it on dvd.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:13 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Frank, Could you by chance be thinking of the films that came with that "Reel Baseball:Baseball's Golden Era"?

http://www.amazon.com/Reel-Baseball-.../dp/0385518862
Old 01-23-2011, 02:34 PM

The HBO documentary on Ted Williams is excellent. There's a short doc on the Brooklyn Dodgers called "Dem Bums" which is okay. I enjoyed the "Only the Ball Was White" documentary, but again, only a half hour. There's an excellent one on Babe Ruth from a while back by HBO, but mine is VHS, so it may not be on DVD. Said Greenburg doc is awesome.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
The HBO "When It Was A Game" trilogy is pretty solid. And the Baseball's Golden age episodes are pretty good as well.
Good call. I loved that series. The first two were the best.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Bill Hedin

Default All excellent choices!

Hi Friends,
Those are all great ones to watch.
The last few weeks I had a ton of time on my hands in the hospital, so I watched a bunch of sports movies including:
Black & White are my favorites:
Fear Strikes Out (Jim Piersall)
Knute Rockne Story
Pride of the Yankees (Gehrig story with a bunch of real BB players in it!)
The Jimmy Stewart movie about the one-legged pitcher
Rocky Marciano Story

Color:
The Natural~~~ which I love
8 Men Out and Babe Ruth (John Goodman)~~~ for some reason these don't "feel right" when I watch them. lol, 8 Men Out is simply aggravating!
Cobb

As for documentaries, the Ken Burns is the best ( I love part 1 the best!)
and When it was a game is tremendous.

If you want to see other sports documentaries, my all-time favorites are:

History of the AFL (multiple parts and accurate!)~~~~ starts with Lamar Hunt getting denied a franchise and goes right thru the merger and beyond!
This covers EVERYTHING, and is my favorite work on any sport!

Bowling: There's a recent documentary style film called League of or Ordinary Gentlemen, and it follows Wayne Webb, Pete Webber etc.., around and shows what the PBA has become which to me is a ruination of my personal favorite sport which I bowled from age 4 to 40!

And there are several movies and documentaries of Howard Cosell, Jim McKay and Ali that are simply great!

Have a great day everyone and it's good to back here on net54: home of the greatest group of people I've had the pleasure of knowing!

Bill Hedin
Old 01-24-2011, 12:04 PM
David McDonald

Hi Bill-
Hope you are doing OK.
Here's one more sports movie that has flown under the radar that you might enjoy. It's a very engaging documentary made in 2008 about the Harvard-Yale football game in 1968 called Harvard Beats Yale, 29-29. The film intersperses footage of an old broadcast of the game, amazing how quaint TV football was just 40 years ago, with interviews of the former players. There is a great intersection of well known people who were in some way connected to the story like the actor Tommie Lee Jones, Meryl Streep and even Yale QB Boyd Dowling who was the model for the character BD in Doonesbury.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Bill Hedin

Default thanks!

David, Thanks for the kind words! I'm happy to be better and back here!
I agree that the Harvard/Yale was a great one! Also like the college FB breaking the barrier one!
Take care,
Bill
Old 01-24-2011, 12:43 PM

There is a good doc called "Viva Baseball" It is about the history of baseball in Latin America and the history of latinos in MLB. Some good interviews with Minoso, Vic Power, Tony Taylor, Cookie Rojoas, MArichal, Cepeda etc, etc.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Frank Wakefield

Found them.... in the third place I looked, which is good... I have a couple of hundred vhs tapes with old ball games recorded, about 1980ish to about 2000 or so....

Anyway, there are 2 60 minute vhs tapes. "The Golden Decade of Baseball" narrated by Brent Musburger. I think I'll try to back them up to a dvd. 1947 to 1957. So it's 2 hrs in total, less than I remembered. Musburger, not Allen. But it is the right time and subject matter. It's listed on Amazon. It's good stuff if you're a fan of those teams and times. But for most folks here, the first few 'innings' of Baseball and the video of The Glory of Their Times would be the thing.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:43 AM

Hi Bill--

The Jimmy Stewart movie you refered to is The Monte Stratton Story. Stewart plays Straton who shot his leg off in a hunting accident, June Allison plays his wife and Agnes Moorehead (of Bewitched in the 60's) plays Stewart's mother.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:40 AM
Bill Hedin

Default thanks!

Thanks mets41 for the name, I never remember: Monty Stratton! A great movie that I enjoy watching.
Frank, those are great tapes you have! I watch old game clips all day and night on youtube.com!
Have a great day everyone!
Bill Hedin
Old 01-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Todd C

how about the Lou Gehrig storey - "Pride of the Yankees " ? Has Babe Ruth, Bill Dickey, etc.

I also agree with some of the others already mentioned.

When it was a Game
Eight Men Out
The Natural
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pride-of-the-yankees-DVDcover.jpg (37.1 KB, 32 views)