NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-25-2010, 07:00 AM

Default 2011 Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards

This morning I received the 2011 Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards from my wife for Christmas. This was the only gift I really wanted and have spent the last hour with my head buried between the pages. This will entertain be for months...I couldn't be happier! Merry Christmas to all!

Ronnie
Old 12-25-2010, 07:54 AM
Donny Muth

Default me too

I received one too, but not from my wife but from my parents. It's huge!! Really looking forward to digging into it and seeing the changes since the last one I bought (2008 edition).

We are also getting a surprise snowfall here in North Alabama. Up close to 4 inches at our house now with no end in sight.

Merry Christmas to all!!

Old 12-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Barry Arnold

Default standard cat.

great presents!!!
no cat. for me but i got a framed type 1 burke of medwick with matching
s&s game card of medwick---plus a framed murad pack with college card therein.
best,
barry
Old 12-25-2010, 05:45 PM
J@son M1ller

Default Me too

I too got the standard catalog today. What a thick book! I'll have fun looking through it this week and beyond.

Merry Xmas to all.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:34 PM

Default Nice Gifts Guys

It might be worth a thread just to hear what everyone got for gifts. I didn't get any pre-war, but my kids gave me a stack of their cards....which was a nice thought.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Rich Klein

Default I ended up buying mine at a bookstore

I paid Cash at the National at the SCD booth and the book never arrived. It was not worth complaining; because of a cash transaction and thus hard to prove but just a bit aggravating

Rich
Old 12-25-2010, 08:51 PM

My wife stopped my kid's gift opening and pulled the camera towards me. She then said kids lets see you dad open the most expensive gift. She said it cost a fortune.

I curiously opened it and it was what appeared to be a framed Honus Wagner PSA 5 1910 Tip Top Bread. It was a photocopy of the card of course. She thought she had a picture of the Holy Grail. They all laughed. I laughed too. Thought it was cool anyway. Memorable gift for me.

My wife is truly afraid of buying me a card prewar. She is afraid she will make a mistake. Great thought though. That is the extent of my Christmas BB card stories.

Frank
Old 12-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeadcock View Post
My wife stopped my kid's gift opening and pulled the camera towards me. She then said kids lets see you dad open the most expensive gift. She said it cost a fortune.

I curiously opened it and it was what appeared to be a framed Honus Wagner PSA 5 1910 Tip Top Bread. It was a photocopy of the card of course. She thought she had a picture of the Holy Grail. They all laughed. I laughed too. Thought it was cool anyway. Memorable gift for me.

My wife is truly afraid of buying me a card prewar. She is afraid she will make a mistake. Great thought though. That is the extent of my Christmas BB card stories.

Frank
Love the thought from the Mrs., Frank. I showed a friend an E103 Wagner yesterday and said, hey, it's the same guy on the expensive one. She said, oh yeah, but probably didn't know what I was talking about. I would never want my wife to buy me a card as I am too picky but she lets me do pretty much whatever I want to, so at least I have that going for me >. We just got back from looking at lights and it's a nice Christmas evening. Hope everyone is staying warm, safe and healthy!! warmest regards
Old 12-25-2010, 11:25 PM
Barry Arnold

Default frank, leon

my wife buys me 'round 15 cards a year for key days like birthday, anniversary, holidays.
she's really brave about doing it because i provide a detailed list of what i want.!!!
works super!
no more ties and socks.
all the best and merry christmas,
barry
Old 12-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Steven Finley

Picked one up today at Books-A-Million. It was funny because they had the last five editions all for the same price. So I grabbed the 2011 cement block. Loving it so far.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:24 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I paid Cash at the National at the SCD booth and the book never arrived. It was not worth complaining; because of a cash transaction and thus hard to prove but just a bit aggravating
That sucks. Did they not give you a receipt at the time of purchase?

Last edited by Gary Dunaier; 12-27-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:26 AM
Rich Klein

Default They did

But I never worried about it ---- oh well; I'll go back to purchasing at the bookstore in the future
Old 12-28-2010, 08:02 AM
marty

Will there be a CD (digital version) this year?

I got a CD version a few years back and use it WAY more than the BOOK...
Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Tony Ooten

I, too, received the big book and have had a great time perusing the pages.

Question regarding the valuations in the book.

What level of trust/respect does the price guide receive from the Net54 community?

I'm aware that Beckett is not necessarily endorsed by most net54ers as a source for pre-war pricing, but since it is convenient and lists most of the pre-war cards I collect, I have been using Beckett as a guideline for relative costs among cards within the same set.

I'd like to start using the standard catalog for the same purpose since it is so much more comprehensive, but I've noticed a few discrepancies.

For example:
T206 William O'Neil is priced as a common in the SCD book, but listed as 3 times the value of a common in Beckett.
T206 Buck Herzog Boston and Mike Donlin Seated is priced at twice the value of a common in SCD, but priced the same as a common in Beckett.

There are several more examples like that in t206 and in 33 Goudey, so I'm just wondering:

What do you all think of the valuations in the SCD Standard Catalog?

Thanks,

Tony

Last edited by tonyo; 12-28-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:40 AM

Default SCD vs Beckett Pricing

Tonyo,

You pose an interesting question. In my opinion, it is very difficult to keep up with an accurate value of every pre-war card on an annual basis. I have been getting the Standard Catalog for many years and it appears to me that they focus on updating certain sets each year (maybe those that have had the most credible sample size of inventory up for sale in the market to price) and there are other sets that remain at the same price for many years and then jump dramatically in one year.

If you are using both guides, I think that is a good thing even though the prices are not always consistent. It is difficult, if not impossible, to determine an exact value for a card. I like to look for a range of values when I want to purchase a card, and having two (or more) sources to do this can only help the buying (or selling) process.

Lastly, when you do find information that may differ from the Standard Catalog, I believe you can contact them with the info and they will research for possible updates in future catalogs.

All in all, I think Bob Lemke does a fabulous job updating The Catalog, especially given how difficult it must be to keep track of an entire industry. I compare it to a guy like Cramer, who has general knowledge on more stocks than almost anyone, but can't possibly keep up with all of them.

Last edited by Ronnie; 12-29-2010 at 07:47 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 12-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Tony Ooten

Hi Ronnie and thanks for the response.

The front of the 2011 SCD has a long list of folks who contribute to pricing and I recognize alot of the names from net54. From my point of view, seeing those names and having read their input, expertise, and experiences on these boards lends credibility to the valuations in the SCD.

Also makes total sense what you say about keeping up with the millions of prices.....I'm sure I can only imagine the tip of the iceberg that is that task.

I'm also aware of VCP and SMR and how they fit into graded card valuations.

I still only use any of the sources as a relative guide for values of cards within the same set. Next time I see the t206 Donlin seated (just as an example) pop up for sale, do I stick to my personal limit for t206 commons (because Beckett values as such) or go a tad over my limit because SCD says it is valued at twice as much as other commons which says to me it may only come around half as often, and/or go for twice as much.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:14 PM

Does the 2011 version come with the DVD containing a .pdf file?

Both the 2009 and 2010 versions included the DVD which is very convenient. Looking at the cover of the 2011 book, there is no reference to a DVD as there was in 2009 and 2010.

Can anyone who purchased a copy verify whether the 2011 book includes a DVD?
Old 01-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcclelland View Post
Does the 2011 version come with the DVD containing a .pdf file?

Both the 2009 and 2010 versions included the DVD which is very convenient. Looking at the cover of the 2011 book, there is no reference to a DVD as there was in 2009 and 2010.

Can anyone who purchased a copy verify whether the 2011 book includes a DVD?
My copy did not include a DVD
Old 01-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Bob Lemke

Default No CD/DVD

There was no CD/DVD in the 2011 edition. Instead, the 480 pages of 2001+ cards that did not appear in the 2010 book were put back into the 2011 book.

I was told this was by "popular demand."

We all must remember that if each and every member of this forum bought a new edition of the book every year, it would still be only a small minority of the copies sold.

Most of the books are sold at Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other general outlets to or for persons whose interests are largely not aligned with ours, i.e., modern-card collectors.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards