NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Default Ruth with light pencil markings

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

How much does the marking (MK) on the back of this card affect its value.

http://tinyurl.com/6psz3k

The marks look almost as if they have been erased, or perhaps they have faded with time.

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com
Old 05-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I feel the placement of the marks is important in helping determine the value. Marks on the blank part of a back don't bother me much at all. I guess if I was real condition sensitive they would. I doubt the marks on this back will affect the value a whole lot. (we'll see) When determining if a mark is faded or partially erased many times you can tell by the rest of the card. This time, and most often, the marks have been mostly erased with remnants/indentions left behind...Usually the area around the marks will be a little lighter from the erasure..that's my opinion and I am sticking to it....regards

Old 05-28-2008, 07:30 PM
Administrator

so does erasing pencil marks fall under the same category as soaking a card?

I'm not sure I like the idea of someone erasing pencil marks.... that borders restoration to me.. maybe I am just quirky.

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com
Old 05-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I think equating it to soaking would be in the same range. Personally I don't think erasing marks or soaking is restoration but it's been a good debate many times.....To each their own....regards

edited to add....maybe I used the wrong term? Soaking and/or erasing is restoration, to a degree, but I don't personally consider it altering....

Old 05-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: double-p-enterprises

It saw the same card sell in huggins & scott's auction for around $2,500 w/ juice. Not bad for a card with writing and 90/10 centering. It is one of Ruth's best cards and not easy to find. A bargain at any price really. There is a PSA 4 with no qualifiers and nice centering at one of the big auctions going on right now, Goodwin & Co I believe. Other recent sales of the Photo Montage that I recorded:

SGC 50 - $3,877 ($4,650 w/ juice) - Mastro June 2007
PSA 4 - $3,375 - Ebay September 2007
PSA 1 - $1,526 - Ebay April 2007

Old 05-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

To me it wouldn't make a difference as I would pop the card out of the PSA slab, carefully erase the marks and send it off to SGC.

The centering would bother me more then anything else.

James G

Who has no problem taking off light pencil marks if done correctly.

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:36 AM
Administrator

I would sooner fold a corner back than attempt to erase a pencil mark on a card like this.  Only because of fear of ruining the card with the eraser.  I could do little damage by folding a corner back but could surely damage it beyond repair with an eraser...

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com
Old 05-29-2008, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

My Ruth is kind of similar to this card... it has glue staining on the back side which drops the grade heavily, but I really care more about presentation than the number on the slab. I would never consider trying to remove the glue... never. Nor would I try to erase the marks on the back of the one being auctioned.

This card is my all time favorite Babe because you get a portrait, him with a bat... and him standing at the Polo Grounds the year before his house was built (or at least that's where I think he is). Plus he's the relatively "slender" Babe. Excuse the GAI slab... hoping to cross it over to SGC at some point.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Dave,

nice card, how long have you had yours???  Did you get it raw and have it graded or buy it in its current holder?

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com
Old 05-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

Bought it a couple years ago as you see it now. I think I got a pretty sweet deal on it for 2 reasons...

1 - it's in a GAI slab (which is terrifying when you purchase for all the known reasons)... but the 1st thing I did was measure it up when it came and it checked out (whew).

2 - I'm not a back of card guy. I want clear, easy on the eyes front cards... so anytime I can buy a 4-5 looking front graded a 1-2 because of back issues, I go for it.

I'm usually weary of PSA marked cards for sale... because sometimes you end up paying more for them because of the #. But to each his own. That Ruth being auctioned off is still very sweet and rare as hell. The centering would throw me a bit more than the mark on the back though. Just my own style.