NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Default A First for me

Posted By: Jerry

Just got back the first card I ever had graded and the only graded card in my collection. I was a nervous wreck something bad would happen to it.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Default A First for me

Posted By: Mike

I understand completely. I am expecting about 30 cards back from grading next Monday. The fear never ends. Even after doing this since grading erupted onto the scene. You always worry....so get used to it.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Default A First for me

Posted By: Chris

Congrats on getting it back -- it's a beautiful card!

Old 04-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Default A First for me

Posted By: Josh K.

very nice card. Ive been in your shoes as well - it took me awhile to send in my first card for that very reason - now I submit frequently, and track the shipment daily until I see that it has been received and signed for.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Default A First for me

Posted By: David Vargha

I too, was at first concerned about sending something as precious to me as my valuable baseball cards through the mail, even if it were Registered and insured. So I did a little experiment first with something almost as dear to me to help put my mind at ease.

Four years ago, I told my son (then eight years old) that he was going to be going on a trip to his grandmother's house by himself. While he slept that night, I bound and gagged him and gave him a small dose of a horse tranquilizer that was readily available at the time. I carefully packaged him up using packing peanuts and bubble wrap and sent him via USPS Registered Mail the next morning to his grandmother in Cathedral City, some two and a half hours away. I figured if he could make the trip safely, then my cards would probably make the 90-mile trek to PSA in Orange County all right.

Well, the bottom line is that he arrived just fine at his grandmother's house two days later with out any bruising and having been unconscious for all but the last hour or two of the ordeal. The bottom line is that he had a great time at his grandmother's house and I had the assurance that I could send my cards without any worries. By the way -- the tracking thing doesn't work so well as my mom had already signed for him, unwrapped him and spent four days with him and the online tracking still showed it at the Post Office of origin in Simi Valley.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 04-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Default A First for me

Posted By: Cat

David:

The real risk was not shipping your son USPS Registered. The true risk was being sent to Cathedral City. I hope grandma didn't let him out of her site.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Default A First for me

Posted By: Brett

I've never sent a card to be graded and never will.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Default A First for me

Posted By: dstudeba

I take it you are afraid something would happen to the card and not trying to turn this into an anti-slab thread.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Default A First for me

You would be right. It's disconcerting to have strangers handle your treasures, especially the first time.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Default A First for me

Posted By: jay wolt

JERRY - That Home Run Baker/Jack Barry T3 looks fantastic.
I like the way Turkey Red's are protected by the PSA slab...jay

Old 04-20-2006, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Default A First for me

Posted By: dstudeba

Jerry -

Sorry to be unclear, my post was in response to Brett's post. I agree I get nervous also, but personally I have had no problems with Registered mail. I guess it is like anything, you tend to get used to it.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Default A First for me

Posted By: Bob

After having UPS lose an almost complete graded set of E98s on the way back from grading, I was very gun shy for a while but continued to ship. I do admit that I track the shipments' progress more closely now than I used to before the loss.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Default A First for me

Bob, Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you had them insured for full value. I had 2 19th Century team cabinets left out in the rain one time by UPS, but it was my fault for not requiring signature. Why did you chose UPS instead of USPS registered Mail?

Old 04-20-2006, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Default A First for me

Posted By: Bob

Jerry- I sent them to GAI who used UPS only and not USPS registered mail. I always use USPS registered mail to send the cards to GAI, SGC and PSA and PSA and SGC use the same service to return my cards. I have used GAI several times since without any problems. It was UPS that was responsible as I tracked the shipment in and out of several stops before it got to Little Rock, its final destination before coming west to my home. The package, according to the web site, went in to the LR center but never emerged.
I did have the cards insured with 2 problems though: 1) anyone collecting E98s knows how tough it is to find certain cards like Coombs, Tenney, Vaughn, Walsh, Mack, etc. They just pop up very rarely and 2) I had a nice Clarke with an "Old Put" stamp on the back that I massively underinsured when totalling up the values. I have never seen another except for Leon's blue one which is coincidentally the only known Old Put card with a blue front. That was my goof on not realizing how rare and thus expensive this card was. If anyone ever sees a Clarke Old Put for sale, please email me. I don't think the thief would be dumb enough to sell it in the GAI holder so it would probably be raw or even in another holder.
Bob