NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Default Some very neat 1921 Exhibits

Posted By: Zach Rice

I recently purchased and recieved a near set of 1921 Exhibits. I was told about half had writing on the back and wasn't sure what to expect. Now with them in hand I am almost glad they have this writing on the backs, it is completely amazing. Each back has been lined with a ruler to gurantee perfection then the player on the front is written about in a 1-3 paragraph biography. The players name then nickname is also written on the top of each in a larger and bolder style. Some are in present tense and some refer to the year of 1923 as being present tense so these are period and were written on 80 years ago. Has anyone ever seen anything like them ? I wouldn't be suprised if they were done by some kind of sports writer or perhaps a young kid with the dreams of becoming a sports writer. I included scans of the Ruth, Johnson, and Cobb. I will post some more later tonight.

It is also very interesting how Walter Johnson is not known as the Big Train but the Fireball King.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Old 04-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

Those are fantastic. Damage to a card has often been referred to as character, perhaps as nothing more than a euphemism, but here I think you have some true character added. Also, I find it quite interesting that the spelling "thru" was already being used in 1923. I guess I can exonerate McDonald's.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

WOW, Zach, those are cool!

I would have shied away from those, based on a description of "writing on the back". I do not like writing on my cards. But that's absolutely unbelievable - they're gorgeous. I'd almost display them backwards.

Doesn't it make you wonder about who owned them, why they wrote that stuff? The story behind that must be fascinating.

Which is why I love this hobby.

-Al

Old 04-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

Wow. Those are really cool. I have some cards and other stuff that clearly was carefully collected and loved by its original owner. Nothing is better. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

Zach,

Your exhibits are really amazing. I'm a big fan of what I call "perfectly imperfect cards," and yours certainly qualify. No doubt you picked them up for only a fraction of what they would have costed you without the writing. I recently picked up a group of Salutation exhibits with similar writing on the back. Like yours, the penmanship is remarkably neat ... people sure had better handwriting back then. I've seen other cards like yours as well, but what sets yours apart is the quality of the writing. Just consider the following passage ...

"The batting crown of the American League rested for many seasons on Ty's noble brow and his blazing speed scorched the baselines ..."

"He cavorts around the field as crude as a hippo ..."

Just think, the author who penned these comentaries in all likelihood watched these players in person. These cards are like a time machine ...

While some card enthusiasts would no doubt cringe at the site of such devalued cards, I am in awe of them. The subject of "What constitutes a true collector?" pops up on this forum from time to time. As far as I am concerned, anyone who appreciates such perfectly imperfect cards as these is definitely a true collector. Great stuff ...

Old 04-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

zach...those r great! I would rather have a "loved" card or a card that shows some kind of evidence of ownership than a gem mint card placed in a bible for 100 years anyday of the week!!!!! And this way you still have $$$$$$$$$ for more!!!

pete in mn

Old 04-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Is it me or does the writing sound really familiar...like it was on the back of something else or written somewhere before. Either way, great pick up!!!

Joshua

Old 04-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

very cool cards. I'd love to have some cards like that.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

Those are simply amazing. I absolutely love his or her handwritting and the great history they hold. Nice pick up, congrads.

A scared man can't gamble and a jealous man can't work.

Old 04-22-2006, 04:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: matt E

Simply Awesome

Old 04-22-2006, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Congrats Zach! It don't get much better than this, and to have gotten several together is a tremendous find. Lets see more.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

a LARGE acquisition! Congrats Zach. I wanna see more too.

Old 04-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

Ok since you guys asked, here are a few more I'll scan some others later tonight. Groh being called the Flying Dutchman ? Watch out Honus !

Old 04-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

These are great! You can tell the former owner put a lot of heart and effort into the writeups.

It's also interesting to read the prose style. Very different than how someone would probably write the same biographies today.

Old 04-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Zach, I am so jealous...I want one!! Are there any Phillies in the lot? I would love to see one of those write-ups. I still think they sound familiar. I noticed on a couple that the initial "R" is at the bottom. Makes me wonder about famous "R" baseball writers...like Lardner perhaps...

Joshua

Old 04-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Great cards Zach! Congrats!
JimB

Old 04-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

This is what makes the early post war so attractive - yearly updates with interesting player info, sometimes trivia + characitures. Too few prewar have this. But home made narritive is particularly special. Any drawings, Zach?

Old 04-22-2006, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

I also think these are great finds. Someone who really loved baseball. Great writing and colorful phrasing. Plus I'm really impressed with the fact that (from just quick reads) the spelling seems to be dead-on even for less commonly used words. This was someone who was not only a great writer, but well educated. And you've got to love "sorrel topped twirler."

Old 04-22-2006, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

Zach, Those are special, thanks for sharing. Congratulations. Keep them coming.
Who ever wrote those Bio's is a true baseball fan & wordsmith.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Gross

Three other interesting Copr. 1921 Ex. Sup. Co., Chgo. cards, I enjoy.

1 -- Al McCoy: Very unliked fighter. Most fans thought his win over the very popular Geo. Chip was a fluke. Even the bio on back states: "McCoy's claim to title was never clear, but was tolerated ..." Further research indicates he hardley met top competion, and usually insisted on fighting no-decission bouts where his title was not on the line. Now, unlike Zach's cards, I had to write all that -- but -- "PUNK FIGHTER" written in period ink, and unkind font, sums up the onetime owner's thoughts on the subject (also notice the "X" cut behind McCoy's legs with a razor).

2 -- John L. Sullivan: You don't have to know a thing about boxing to appreciate what's written across his chest: "Good John L. Sully."

3 -- Harlem Tommy Murphy: Someone at sometime colored his trunks and belt. Over time and wear, it has become to look like original coloring. (To bring this somewhat back to baseball: On 8-3-12, Murphy fought Abe Attell to a 20 round draw. It was considered one of the bloodiest bouts of all time. Some said by the middle rounds the two fighters could not be told apart do to being totally covered in blood. I've seen a photo, quite unreal...)