NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Default Walter Johnson Political Button Collection

Posted By: jamie

I recall Leon showing off a few Cy Young and Big Train political items care of Marshall Fogel so I thought I'd pass these on as well... they belong to a friend of my father who specializes in Johnson congressional items.

The old Fogel post now has dead images. If you still have them Leon, maybe you could add those to this post.

Old 04-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Does that first pin imply that Wendell Willkie had a "nice Johnson"?

Old 04-20-2006, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

The board is denegrating.
But

Old 04-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Administrator

draw your own conclusion about willkie's willie

Old 04-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martindl

Jamie,
Neat items.

I collect a lot of eclectic stuff, pins included. I'm curious on the "Elect Johnson" pin at upper right. How do you know that this is connected to Walter Johnson? There have been many Johnsons running for all kinds of offices over the years. I ask because I sometimes see pins in auctions attributted to Walter, but in my mind they could be for any number of people named Johnson.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Jamie, I notice that two. "Nice Johnson, Wilkie" If if it's instead "Nice Johnson," what exactly is a Wilkie?

Old 04-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Administrator

all penis jokes aside, the buttons were identified by walter johnson's grand-daughter and later written up in an article in scd about 5 years ago. im trying to get a copy of the article from the writer (owner of the buttons and the nice johnsons)

Old 04-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hank Thomas

The information on the generic pin probably came from me--Johnson was my grandfather, and this pin was in my aunt's scrapbook with her notation as a young child, "Dad's pin for congress." Gary Hong may have written the SCD article referred to. To my knowledge, these are the only pins from Johnson's 1940 campaign. Coincidentally, I just had a discussion with an eBay seller advertising a "Johnson For Congress" pin as coming from Walter Johnson's campaign. I tried to tell him I didn't think it was, and the information wasn't well received, with him claiming that in political memorabilia circles his pin was widely regarded as being related to the ballplayer. I told him that was new to me, and I would have to see some proof before I believed it. I have the only campaign brochure I've ever seen. I'd like to see Marshall's stuff if it can be reposted, and any other rare Johnson stuff for that matter. I have a nice collection of his pins and silks, but sold off my card collection several years ago. I'll be bringing my pins and silks to Fort Washington in a couple of weeks if anybody wants to stop by and see them. I set up with Kevin Keating at booths 705-707. I didn't know about this forum before--somebody sent me the link and it looks great. Is this an offshoot of the magazine? I had a subscription before it went under. Hope this helps.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martin dalziel

Hank and Jamie,
Thanks for the info re the pins. I'll continue to be leery of all and any pins purporting to be tied to Walter's campaign.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Administrator

hank,
thank you so much for weighing in. i was actually the winner of that other johnson pin. i shouldve spoken to my dad first- he's a member of apic and had doubts about the pin right away. he put me in touch with gary.

id love to see a scan of the pamphlet if youd be willing to share it. thanks again for clearing up the mystery on the pins

Old 04-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Glad to help. Jamie, if you send me your email, I'll get you a picture of the brochure eventually. I just got a digital camera to do this sort of thing, but have been busy and also am impatient with computer stuff. But I will get to it. Please send another request to my email, so I'll have that as a reminder.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Henry Eshelman

Hank
I live 5 mins away from Johnsons old house in Maryland. Do you remember ever visiting? Cant believe that its not some kind of landmark.

Thanks, Henry Eshelman

Old 04-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Administrator

A couple of years ago, when the house was for sale, I was driving down Old Georgetown Road with my mother, who grew up in that house. It was open for inspection, so we walked through it. Mom said that the downstairs rooms had been reconfigured, but the upstairs was pretty much the way she remembered it. One of the changes to the downstairs was that Walter's trophy room had been eliminated. The biggest change was that it was a large estate when she lived there, almost nine acres, which of course my grandfather made into a little farm, with cows, horses, chickens, etc. Now it's maybe a half-acre and sits right on the road. There was a circular driveway when she lived there. The house does have an historic designation from the county, which means it can't be torn down, but it would be cool if there was some kind of marker to tell people he lived there.

Old 04-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan

Hi Hank,

Not to change the subject but I noticed today that Sotheby's will be auctioning off one of Walter's jerseys. Just thought I would point that out to you if you haven't already seen it as you may be interested in seeing it.

Bryan

http://www.shareholder.com/bid/downloads/news/20060420-193364.pdf

Old 04-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Bryan, I knew about it, but appreciate the alert. It's the only known Johnson jersey ever to hit the market. A managerial jacket was auctioned about 15 years ago, and the Hall of Fame has his 1927 road uniform, from cap to socks. I think they're hoping for maybe a half million for this one. Wish I had a couple.