NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Default Recent acquisitions

Posted By: Mike H

Any new treasures? This is my new favorite pennant (from my collection at least). The milky portion of the image is from schmutz on the lens...darn kids.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-05-2007, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

That's a nice one Mike...and one I don't think I've seen before. How many different prewar Tigers pennants does that make for you now?

I've had quite a good run here lately, but nothing has shown up in the mailbox yet. All I have are the ebay photos.....

Antelope park was the home to the Western League team from Lincoln pre 1947

This is one I've been waiting patiently for after getting sniped out on the last one.

This is only the second poster/handbill I've ever seen for the NI and it is by far the latest. I have found no literature at all on the NI team from the 1930s.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Mike, nice pennant. Dan, thanks for sharing your NI items, awesome! I hope to have something to share soon.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

There aren't a lot of things that I would say I'm an "authority" on, but I've seen a heck of a lot of different Cleveland Indians pennants over the years. I'd never seen this one before this week, so I was thrilled to pick it up on eBay. Not a great photo; it's the one that was in the listing.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Administrator

That makes 4 maybe 5 Dan. Not sure of the date of a couple. They have early characteristics, but who knows for sure unless you see a photo of one that is dated. I am LOVING pennants right now and the Tigers seem to have had a wider variety than most teams. I would say Cleveland is up there options available as well. Does anyone know a collector who is an "authority" on pennants? D. Bushing seems to know almost every niche of memorabilia and has written short articles in MEERS about pennants. I would give my right arm to see the personal collections of some of the premier pennant collectors.

I almost went after that pin Dan. However, I thought (knew)you would appreciate it more than I.

Rob, I don't recall seeing that piece before. Are you an Indians pennant collector only? Most of my pennant efforts of late have been Tigers and an occasional Yankees but I also have NY Giants, Cards, W Sox, and a few others. Only one Indian, but it's a common 60s piece.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Mike,

I collect all types of pre-1960 Cleveland Indians memorabilia, but I have a particular fondness for -- in no particular order -- pennants, pencil clips, opening-day ticket stubs and figural display pieces.

I rarely pick up pennants anymore because I don't often come across one I don't have, plus there's the space issue of displaying them. I've got 4 1/2 walls of my basement dedicated to Indians pennants, and I don't want to devote any more space to them. When I first started to collect pennants, I would pursure all the color variations for each different style. I quickly came to the conclusion that that wasn't practical, unless I wanted to store a lot of pennants in boxes, which I thought defeats the purpose of collecting in the first place. As it is, the only ones on display are the unusual ones and styles that reflect All-Star Games, World Series or other special events.

I really love pennants. Just wish they were easier to ship and display.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Rob, how does a fella go about seeing a few photos of your basement walls. I would greatly appreciate a peak at your pennant collection.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Mike,

Check your e-mail. I sent you a link a couple hours ago. Let me know if you didn't get it.

Rob

Old 07-06-2007, 05:29 AM
Administrator

I didn't get it Rob. Can you try again please? mjkm90@earthlink.net Thanks

Old 07-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Mike,

I just sent you another e-mail.

Rob

Old 07-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Administrator

I didn't get the second either Rob. Did you receive my email?

Old 07-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Mike,

Ah, the beauty of e-mail. I've sent you another, this time from my work e-mail address. Give me a shout when it's received.

Thanks, Rob

Old 07-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Piece of Syracuse China (circa early 1960s) used at the Wigwam Room (for media and team officials) at old Cleveland Stadium.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

will be added to my auctions this week

Jimmy

Old 07-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jim

Two new ones for display.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron M.

I just received what may be the single highlight of my collection (and a piece that I've been looking for since I first saw it on the Incurable Collector segment on Bill Mastro way back in 2001) from the recent Sotheby's auction. I'm having a custom shelf built to display it.

I also just picked up a long sought-after original Mickey Mantle Hartland tag on E-Bay to add to my Mantle Hartland statue.

And lastly, I picked up this terrific 1914 Braves pin on E-Bay (going to get it framed this weekend hopefully).

A very busy month for me!

Old 07-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Administrator

My wife would kill me if I had a "busy month" like that Aaron. That trophy is awesome...and the pinback ain't too shabby either.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Jim, I've never seen that Walter Johnson premium before, very cool.
Aaron, wow that is very unique. Is there a date on it?

Old 07-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Hi Clint,I had never seen it before either. It was in an REA (or Mastro) auction last year buried in along with 100 or so other premiums. I knew there was a large premium of WaJo without his shirt and the byline talking about his expensive arm, but I never knew about this one. SO I had to pay dearly to get this premium. But it was worth it. Some of the other large premiums have a numbering system (1 - 7) on the left hand side. I just picked up Matty, Wagner and one other like this. Interesting, the Matty is completely different pose from the other large type Matty I have, while the Wagner is the same pose (but different first name listed) as the non-numbered Wagner. When i get some time, I should post the non-numbered and numbered large type premiums. The Federal League large type premiums are also extremely hard to find. Great stuff though!

Old 07-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Aaron, I have admired that trophy for years. It's changed hands a couple times as you noted. It is stunning.

Thanks for posting.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Jim, would love to see some more of those premiums if you get a chance. That White Sox one is pretty nice as well.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Hi Clint, going on a weekender but will get some more pics out next week (wrote myself a note to remember).

Old 07-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Just back from PSA/DNA and authenticated as a TYPE I - Original Photoof Josh Gibson

Old 07-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Great Pinback of the Royal Rooters Aaron.

I had looked at that one. Fortunately for my wallet (there's only fleas in there after the last REA anyway), it's from 1914 and for the Braves and not the Sox.

Greg

Old 07-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Picked up 18 snapshots of a 1951 game between the Indians and Tigers at Briggs Stadium.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

just a few

Jimmy

Old 08-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeremy W.

But I am attempting to post my first scan & had a question. Does anyone know if this Joe Jackson mini decal bat had the black tape on the handle when it was new? Thanks in advance for any help/info you can lend. Jeremy

P.S. I love that Gibson photo...very nice.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Administrator

I didn't know you could make a scan that small. As for your question I don't believe I've ever seen a mini decal bat with tape on it.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Administrator

I didn't know it could be done either. I'm struggling with this posting scans thing. Back to the drawing board!

Old 08-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Thanks to Joe Jones:

Old 08-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator

I've seen a few mini bats with tape on them. They have all been Joe Jackson bats. There was a cork grip mini bat of Babe Ruth sold a few months ago also.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Administrator

That leads me to believe that the bat did, in fact, come with the tape on the handle when it was made. I was thinking that I saw a Jackson bat auctioned by Lelands some time ago that had the tape.