NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Graig Kreindler

Default On the easel...

Hey all,

I hope nobody minds, but I figured that I would start a thread for whatever's going on in my studio. Well, anything that I think is worthy of posting, that is.

I figure that if everyone's cool with it, I can show some finished pieces here, as it's taking a while for me to get my website fully updated. Additionally, I can show some in-progress shots of other things, be they commissions or for my inventory. Just know that the quality of the photos I take myself aren't even close to that of the ones I have done professionally!

Speaking of whom, I just picked these up from those photographers:

Babe Ruth, 1927, 9"x12"

Joe DiMaggio, 1933 (I think), 9"x12"

Lou Gehrig, 1936, 16"x20"

The Ruth portrait is already spoken for by a fellow board member, but if anyone is interested in the other two, feel free to drop me a line.

And as usual, comments/critiques/rotten tomatoes are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Graig

PS: Oh, and special thanks to Jimmy for allowing me to use some of his images for these bad boys!

Last edited by GKreindler; 10-28-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Chris Wassmuth

Graig, you have an amazing gift! I can only dream of the day that I can afford to hang one of your paintings on my wall. Keep the pictures coming! I asked you this over on the PSA boards but do you have any plans for a Roy Campanella painting?

Chris
Old 11-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Graig,

I think all three are great, but the Gehrig is beyond belief. You really captured
him. Well done.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks so much for the compliments, guys! I sincerely appreciate them.

Chris, I do have some shots of Roy in mind to paint, but there's nothing in the very immediate future. I'm hoping to at least do a small 9"x12" or 11"x14" portrait soon, and I suppose I'm just looking for some free time to tackle a larger image of him. I did just find some great shots of him from the '52 World Series that have really piqued my interest...
Old 11-03-2009, 04:50 PM
qualitycards

Graig, fanstastic as usual.
I like the Gehrig piece the best, but all are worthy to hang on any collectors wall.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Barry Sloate

Graig- your work is sensational. Your application of light and shadows is really amazing.

Last edited by barrysloate; 11-03-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Johnny S

Wow!
Old 11-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks fellas!

Barry, thank you for those words about light. That's actually the main thing I try to instill into each painting. I feel like it goes beyond making something look photographic, but giving the viewer the impression that he/she is there, breathing the same air as these players. In the end, if people can see these images and be brought back to days of youth with their fathers and grandfathers and actually smell the popcorn, cigar smoke, and hear the buzz of the crowd, then I'm incredibly happy.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Graig Kreindler

In the spirit of the ol' 'washed up' man starting for the Phillies in the game tomorrow, here's an in-progress shot of another supposedly 'washed up' veteran who happened to beat the Yanks in Games 2 and 6 in the '26 Blue Ribbon classic, not to mention close out the final innings of Game 7 with stellar relief work, most notably against Tony Lazzeri. Ol' Pete!!

Another Conlon shot, dating from '28, I think. This one's 11"x14", and the image has some interesting light going for it. It's far from done, but I feel like it's starting to take on some personality. Gotta love those wrinkles.

Oh, and excuse the photography, and the crappy angle - it seems that shooting it this way is the only chance I have at avoiding any glare.

Graig

Last edited by GKreindler; 11-03-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:11 AM
Graig Kreindler

Alright, this is it for tonight. I promise.

The first Jewish superstar of the Major Leagues, Hammerin' Hank Greenberg:

Again, this one's FAR from done. And, like the Grover Cleveland image, this is from a Conlon photo and is 11"x14".

I know, I know, the photograph sucks. The glare is wreaking havoc on the left side of his face, as that side cheek isn't so rosy. Argh. One day, I'll master the technique of taking proper in-progress photographs. Or at least, I hope.

Hope you enjoy 'em!
Old 11-04-2009, 08:01 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I really like that Ruth. They all look great though.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:47 AM

Here are the photos of mine that Graig mentioned using for his paintings...

Gives you a great opportunity to see just how much he nails these images!

1927babe1.jpgdimaggioheadshot.jpg

More fantastic creations Brutha! Well done. BTW... I really love the way that Alexander is coming together Graig. Can't wait to see Old Pete once you're done with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Hey all,

I hope nobody minds, but I figured that I would start a thread for whatever's going on in my studio. Well, anything that I think is worthy of posting, that is.

I figure that if everyone's cool with it, I can show some finished pieces here, as it's taking a while for me to get my website fully updated. Additionally, I can show some in-progress shots of other things, be they commissions or for my inventory. Just know that the quality of the photos I take myself aren't even close to that of the ones I have done professionally!

Speaking of whom, I just picked these up from those photographers:

Babe Ruth, 1927, 9"x12"

Joe DiMaggio, 1933 (I think), 9"x12"

Lou Gehrig, 1936, 11"x14"

The Ruth portrait is already spoken for by a fellow board member, but if anyone is interested in the other two, feel free to drop me a line.

And as usual, comments/critiques/rotten tomatoes are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Graig

PS: Oh, and special thanks to Jimmy for allowing me to use some of his images for these bad boys!
Old 11-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Lou

I had the opportunity to briefly meet Graig at the national and see his paintings in person and pics don't do them justice! When you see them in person they make you just stare in awe of how beautiful and realistic they are.I know nothung about art or painting,but I can tell you Graig has been blessed with amazing skills. I hope to have a painting of Roberto Clemente done one day,God willing.Keep up the great work!

Lou
Old 11-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Brock

That Gehrig is great.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks so much for all of the wonderful compliments, guys, as well as the support. I really couldn't be surrounded by a better bunch of fellas.

I just got this one back from the photographer's today as well:

The shot is the Great Bambino from September 7, 1921, picking out his weapon of choice in between a doubleheader against Boston. In the second game, he would hit his 52nd homer of the year, propelling the Yanks to a 7-2 victory. In winning both contests, New York found themselves a game ahead of Cleveland for first place in the AL, and a month later, would win the first of their (now) 27 World Championships.

Hope y'all enjoy!
Old 11-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Chris Wassmuth

Wow! I feel like I could crawl right in there with the Babe! Nice work, once again!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Sean Brennan

ok graig lets see some tinker evers chance

Last edited by milkit1; 11-05-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Phil Nap

Default The Bambino

I picked up the Ruth portrait from Graig's agent yesterday. Hung it on the wall today and can't stop staring at it. I swear the brim of his cap and the tip of his distinctive nose stick out past the frame and into the room. It is stunning. I saw the Gehrig, the Dimaggio and Ruth with bats in person . . . all spectacular.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Scott

As usual, simply beautiful work.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks fellas!!

Old 11-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Graig Kreindler

Here's what's been on the easel this weekend. A biggie at 38"x60", this is a commission that I've finally been getting around to finishing. Or at least, getting close to finishing. I hope.

My father has threatened to disown me on numerous occasions for this one. Like most Yankee fans his age, I don't think he's ever gotten over this moment...and I don't think he ever will...and I can't blame him:

It's got a ways to go, but hopefully I can get it done and out of my sights before he sees it again. There's just so much darn information in there, especially with the wall, the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, the scoreboard, and that damn crowd in left. It's driving me bananas!

As usual, please excuse the cruddy photography. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Graig
Old 11-08-2009, 10:14 PM
qualitycards

Graig, another awesome masterpiece
Old 11-09-2009, 09:48 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I love seeing the ball in flight on that one...

Does anyone know what the ball had to clear at Forbes' Left Field, to be considered a home run (did it have to clear that giant scoreboard?) Did Maz really hit his homer over that scoreboard (to the right of the clock) as it appears? I've read numerous times that his homer barely made it out, but have never seen clear footage of the ball's flight, or where it ended up.

Also... What's with the scaffolding at the base of the light tower in left? The red brick fence is clearly behind that scaffolding. Seems like quite the obstacle to overcome, if that was truly in the field of play!

You're right Graig... there's a lot going on in that busy painting (which is magnificent, btw!)

Last edited by perezfan; 11-09-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

From the footage that I've seen, Maz's hr actually went to the right of the scoreboard (facing it) and over that wall (in Graig's painting, you can see the fielder, which is Yogi Berra). The footage showed him going to the warning track and then pealing off as the ball went over the wall... I would consider that Left-Center field.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:21 PM

Knowing Graig, I wouldn't doubt if he flipped every stone for evidence attesting to the ball's true flight and destination before he sketched this out.

What a tremendous piece, Graig!
Old 11-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

This appears to be taken very accurately from a famous photograph of Mazeroski's hr. Remember, don't think two dimensionally...it looks like the ball
is going over the scoreboard but if you were to see the ball keep going you would see it go in front of the scaffolding and over to left center.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks for all of the compliments, guys!

The photo is indeed a famous one. Taken by Marvin E. Newman, it has to be one of my favorite photographs of all time. He talked about it in a special on HBO, something about sports photography. I remember him (or a critic) mentioning that it was so genius because of all of the information was there: the clock with the time of day, the scoreboard, Maz in mid-swing, light conditions, Yogi in left-center, and awesomely enough, the ball in mid-flight. I don't think anyone could have timed it better.

Here's some footage of that last play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-zjk...eature=related

And man, was it a bitch getting all of this color right. And it will most likely continue to be a bitch...
Old 11-12-2009, 12:28 AM
Graig Kreindler

Here's what I was playing around with today:

The scenes from the day that Gehrig broke his streak have always had a place in my heart. Aside from the great images of Lou gazing out of the dugout longingly, they're also beautiful shots of Babe Dahlgren, his replacement at first. Being friends with Matt Dahlgren (his grandson) for so long, I've really come to appreciate the whole scenario from a different perspective. I can't imagine what it must have been like to be called upon to fill the shoes of one's idol. I can't wait to get some paintings done of that great man as well.

Anywho, this one's got a LONG way to go, but I thought Gehrig's face is starting to come together. Now I just need to block everything else in! Hopefully the client approves...

Oh, and also, VERY many thanks go out to a kind and generous man, who was nice enough to let me borrow the Matty painting to be re-photographed by my normal guys in the city. The guy I used before did an alright job, but I was never thrilled about the work. Now, I am MUCH happier with these results, as this scan is more true to the original painting.

Again, thank you SO much jacksons!

Hope you all enjoy. And aren't sick of these posts.

Last edited by GKreindler; 11-13-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:36 AM
John

Default On Forbes Field...

Without studying any old photos, not only do I recall the cage around the light standards, the batting cage was on wheels and was dragged out to deep center field for storage during the game. Love those quirky obstacles in the old ballparks!

(I don't mean to hijack the artwork thread)
Old 11-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Jason

Default Graig, what's on the easel this weekend?

or perhaps this past week, if you are on Thanksgiving hiatus?
Old 11-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Graig Kreindler

No hiatus for me, Jason! No rest for the wicked! Or those who paint!!

I'm still working on that large Mazeroski painting, and am hoping to have a ton of it done by the end of the weekend, so I'll post it then.

For now, I've done more work to Grover. He's not done yet, but he's getting somewhat close. I have a lot of edges to soften and sharpen, and flesh out a bit more on his uniform. But, I like where it's going thus far!!

I also have these two other portraits that have about an hour or so into them (as I'm sure you can tell).

And, I started another commission on the queue, though it only has a few hours into it as well. The image is really unstoppable, if you ask me. That Paul Thompson was some kind of photographer. I hope I can do his vision some sort of justice in the end, or at least, give the impression of what he saw in color before he pushed the shutter...

As per usual, please excuse the crummy photography. The only one that seems even remotely true to life is the Grover Cleveland. Both Grove and Thorpe are blown out. Ruth's hat and socks are definitely NOT that blue in my painting. Man, I need a new camera. or some skills.

In addition to all of this, I have some more commissions I'm hoping to start this weekend as well, but most of those canvases need to be stretched first (a Herculean task in its own right)!

Thanks for taking an interest!

Graig
Old 11-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Johnny S

As always very nice !! Congrats on all the comissions !!
Old 11-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Amazing

Graig,
These are simply magnificent. The Ruth at the bottom is already better than everything else out there(in my opinion) with only a few hours of "work" in!
Ben

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 11-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their support in this thread (as well as off of it), you've all been incredibly kind. I really appreciate it more than I can possibly express.

Because of an influx of work from you guys, as well as those outside of Net54, I am now 2.5 years out on commissions. On that same token, my agent told me that he's going to be raising my prices again on the first of January, 2010. With that in mind, if anyone wants to get in on the queue before the new rates, shoot me a message!

Thanks again all!

Graig
Old 11-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Johnny S

I just picked up 'Sports Collector's Monthly Presents Mantle, the Man and his memorabilia' magazine and the first thing I opened it up to was one of Graigs paintings, then some pages later another one. Very nice ! As far as this issue goes it is great for any Mantle or Yankee fan and I highly recommend picking it up.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Here's what I was playing around with today:

The scenes from the day that Gehrig broke his streak have always had a place in my heart. Aside from the great images of Lou gazing out of the dugout longingly, they're also beautiful shots of Babe Dahlgren, his replacement at first. Being friends with Matt Dahlgren (his grandson) for so long, I've really come to appreciate the whole scenario from a different perspective. I can't imagine what it must have been like to be called upon to fill the shoes of one's idol. I can't wait to get some paintings done of that great man as well.

Anywho, this one's got a LONG way to go, but I thought Gehrig's face is starting to come together. Now I just need to block everything else in! Hopefully the client approves...

Oh, and also, VERY many thanks go out to a kind and generous man, who was nice enough to let me borrow the Matty painting to be re-photographed by my normal guys in the city. The guy I used before did an alright job, but I was never thrilled about the work. Now, I am MUCH happier with these results, as this scan is more true to the original painting.

Again, thank you SO much jacksons!

Hope you all enjoy. And aren't sick of these posts.
Graig....your work is great...but especially this Matty...wow! chris
Old 12-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all!!

I hope everyone is having a great holiday season thus far. I just picked these two up from the photographers, and I thought I'd share 'em.

The first is the complete 11"x14" Grover Cleveland Alexander painting from that lovely 1928 Conlon photo. This bad boy is going to a board member and should be out in the mail later today or tomorrow. Gotta love how weathered that man's face was!!!

And the second image is...well...the object of my father's pain. I don't think my father has a more rueful memory from his childhood, to be honest. If you're a Yankee fan from that era, I'm sure you'll know what I'm talking about. Anywho, it's pretty large at 38"x60", and man, I'm glad it's out of the studio and on its way to Pittsburgh. Be gone!!

Comments/critiques/rotten tomatoes are always welcomed!!

Thanks for reading,

Graig

Last edited by GKreindler; 12-16-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:25 PM
David McDonald

I watched this game as a ten year old on our old Magnavox. I remember Maz's swing, the flight of the ball and Berra's hangdog look like it was yesterday. The world was black and white then.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Phil Nap

Graig, now that the bad memory is finally gone from the studio perhaps Dad will better appreciate a team that defeated those boys from Pittsburgh some 33 years earlier.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Graig Kreindler

I think it's fair to say that he's going to love that painting MUCH more...

Old 12-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Graig Kreindler

Here's what's on the easel right now, and 'yes', it's pretty darn weird.

This was a commission from a guy who's friend owns an original authentic Wagner. Why he wanted a painting of his friend's card, I'll never know. He didn't necessarily want me to do my interpretation of the card, but rather a trompe l'oeil of sorts.

In actuality, I'm enjoying the project. It's about halfway through now, and trying to duplicate the moiré pattern of the lithograph should be a challenge. It's an odd size at 5.5"x10", and as usual, please excuse the crummy photography...

Comments and critiques are always welcome!

Graig

Old 12-18-2009, 07:45 AM
Scott

I really like that a lot, but no surprise there. Continued success Graig with your phenomenal work.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:10 AM

Always a treat to see what you're up to next, Graig. I always look for updates to this thread. Once again, outstanding work.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks for the compliments, guys!!

Old 12-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Chris Wassmuth

Awesome work as usual, Graig. As soon as I hit the lottery I'll be sending you a check for a custom piece.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:15 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Graig...

Your posts on this thread are so much appreciated. Could you possibly post a photo of the Babe Ruth Painting (taken from the Paul Thompson image) when it is completed?

That one is particularly "breath taking" and I would love to see the finished product, if at all possible. Thanks again!
Old 12-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Graig Kreindler

I'll definitely keep you posted with shots of that Ruth painting, Mark. I'm glad you like it so much!! I can only hope that when it's completed, it will have done Thompson's eye proud.

I'm not exactly sure when I'm going to get around to finishing it, as I do have a lot of other paintings that need to come before it. I do usually jump from painting to painting on every given day, but sometimes I can get really into a particular painting and just see it through, whether it's due sooner or not. I guess ya never know what's going to happen!

Last edited by GKreindler; 12-22-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Graig Kreindler

Happy holidays everyone!!

I hope everyone's having a wonderful break and spending time with the people they love. I guess I'm spending time with the easel I love, or something. So, here's what's on that bad boy right now.

The first is the famous Conlon shot of Joe Jackson from 1913. In my opinion, there isn't a better image of the man from the early days. The glare in his eyes are by far the focal point - hopefully that will come across when the painting is done.

The second is a panoramic of Honus Wagner from 1909. He's shown hitting a ball into the outfield at the West Side Grounds, home of the Chicago Cubs. What's really interesting to me about this whole painting is that after MUCH researching, I was finally able to discover the color scheme of the old ballpark - who would have thought that one from the turn of the century would be mostly red??

The image is one of Francis Burkes - in my opinion one the greatest and most underrated baseball photographers of all time. I know the gentleman who has the rights to his entire collection of photos, and man, I would kill to get my hands on them!!

As per usual, please excuse the god-awful photography, and obviously, they each have a looooong way to go. Critiques/comments/questions/rotten tomatoes are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Graig
Old 12-25-2009, 12:18 PM

I am very proud to say that I know you, Graig.

Your talents are simply immense - this Jackson and the Wagner are some of the finest I've seen on here (though I put your Matty #1 .

How'd you like to be on the mound against Jackson and he gives you THAT look? Can you say Intentional Walk?

And you certainly nailed Wagner's big mitts!

Love the "On the Easel" updates!

Awesome stuff, buddy!
Old 12-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Brock

This Wagner is my new favorite. The realism is simply unbelievable. Upon close inspection I am truly taken back by the details. The ridges in the wool socks really caught my eye. As did the frayed sleeves on his undershirt.
I cant wait to see the finished product. Thanks for sharing your gift Graig.