NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2010, 07:15 AM

well first off jackson was not educated and probably didnt understand what he was doing all he knew he was getting paid some extra cash. second if arod,clemens ect get into the hof then jackson,weaver and rose should be in there. steroids is cheating to no mater how you try to twist it "saying everyone was doing it" thats a load of crap not all the great players like griffey jr didnt use steroids and he had a great career even with all his injurys. Jackson was one of the greatest players of the dead ball era and he needs to be in the hof for all the great things he has done.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by esd10 View Post
well first off jackson was not educated and probably didnt understand what he was doing all he knew he was getting paid some extra cash.
Sorry, I don't buy this idea that Jackson was so ignorant he didn't understand what he was doing was wrong. From all accounts Joe Jackson was not well educated BUT he was not mentally challenged or anything. Betting on baseball, throwing games, etc. are the "cardinal sin" of baseball--there were signs at every ballpark in america stating it was fobidden at the time to bet on baseball--Jackson knew what he was doing when he accepted the money.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 12-10-2010, 09:45 AM

well what im trying to say he might not understand the penaltys and the after effects of this scandal when he did it.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Why collect?.. Great ballplayer and a good man, just got caught. Doesn't deserve the Hall of Fame Hall of Fame though... Sorry to say, neither does the Ginger Kid.

Joe's testimony in Sept 1920, to the Asst DA;

...Q Did anybody pay you any money to help throw that series in favor of Cincinnati?

A They did.

Q How much did they pay?

A They promised me $20,000 and paid me five.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:26 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Shoeless Joe is a romantic character...his omission from the Hall of Fame, much like Pete's, has done more to make him famous than his inclusion would have. Had everyone just vote in him ago, he would have been spoken of in more or less the same way as Cap Anson or Al Simmons are... which is to say not much. Which is why I would open the doors wide for McGwire, Bonds, Clemens and not worry much about it. But I can certainly respect hard core opinions on the other side of things. Folks in the middle are the problem.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:56 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

"I'm no Barry Bonds fan, but in terms of cheating I'd say he couldn't hold a candle to Cobb or some of the great dirty ballplayers of the deadball era, where spiking, punching, rubbing the ball with shoe polish, mud, spit, vaseline, sandpaper, etc., holding on to guy's belts as they tried to steal bases, slugging them in the gut as they ran by, etc... the one-umpire days of baseball were the dirtiest, most dishonest, ugliest baseball, filled with the most cheating ever seen, no question. The simple reason was, there was only one umpire and they could get away with it."

I'd like to see that kind of stuff return to today's game!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Shoeless Joe is a romantic character...his omission from the Hall of Fame, much like Pete's, has done more to make him famous than his inclusion would have. Had everyone just vote in him ago, he would have been spoken of in more or less the same way as Cap Anson or Al Simmons are... which is to say not much.
There is some truth to this, but then again he not only had one of the great nicknames of all time, he hit .356.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:16 PM
David Str@@te

I hope I'm not out of line or bringing up taboos or anything, but

http://cgi.ebay.com/1930s-ADOLF-HITL...item3f05aeda7a

I was shocked when I saw this on EBay at 500 bucks. For me, the joy of collecting hinges upon identifying with a player. Even with Joe Jackson, I can put aside the unsavory reputation and admire the ballplayer. Heck. I like guys with a bad reputation because there have been times in my life when I've been less than perfect.

Still, there's really no way I can identify with Adolph. I can't imagine anybody could. Unless this is going to become a part of a propaganda exhibit, I don't get it.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Al Richter

Default Jackson's Grand Jury Testimony

In Jackson's testimony before the Cook County Grand Jury, which is publicly available ( I have a copy), he clearly admits taking the money and it is also pretty clear he knew exactly what was going on. In fact, there is some discussion in the testimony that he was upset that others were paid more than he got and for that reason may have decided not to participate.