NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Seth Y

Default Wow. Now this is cool. Modern+Vintage combined=Awesome in T206 (2009)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zack-Wheat-09-TO...item53de8c7d43

This is one of the best looking modern cards I have seen. The mix of the cut and old T206 combined into a great looking case is incredible and Topps should be commended in my opinion. Anyone else have thoughts on this piece and have you seen any others from the set? A Wagner of that style would be the ULTIMATE chase card and truly validate that product (and this insert subset in particular) as one of the best of the modern era I think.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:51 PM

There is a Cobb in the set also. Beckett has been advertising it for a while.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Johnny S

Seth you need to pick that one up for your Wheat collection !
Old 12-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Pup6913

I think the price is really high. As far as the product goes it is very neat
Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Steve Birmingham

I like the card, and it is one of the better looking modern ones.

But In general I'm against cut signatures, bats, uniforms etc. Especially older ones. Not as much with someone who's still playing, since they can just use something for an at bat or one game then get it to the card company.

Cut stuff just seems sad. This piece looks like it maybe came from a letter?
Personally I'd rather have the whole letter. I passed up a wonderful Cobb letter years ago, and I'd hate to think of it becoming a cut and the rest being tossed. I'd love to find it again, but the price would still probably be a bit more than I could manage.

Steve
Old 12-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Paul

They should have just included one of these:

From Autographed T206

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 12-09-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Tony Quinn

I like it. Anything that introduces the younger generation to the vintage stuff is a-ok by me. It HAS to be autographed/piece of memorabilia/#'d to attract attention (just ask my 10 year old son!) If it brings even one more to our side, how can it be all bad?:
Old 12-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
They should have just included one of these:
I would bid on something like that. But like Steve said I also think it is sad to destroy documents for this use. Aren't there enough 3x5's out there for this kinda stuff, and other items like pics and newer autoed cards for destruction.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:06 PM

I think that it was alright when they first started to use uniforms for cards but I think that they should have limited themselves. It was nice that people who couldn't afford full jerseys could get a small piece, but now they just keep destroying some baseball history. Just my two cents.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Wasn't there a recent issue with someone swapping out the T206s from these type holders?.. I'd imagine similar scams could occur with the butchered autos getting switched as well.

Yea, this Slap-Chop trend is great for the hobby.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:32 AM
Paul

Default Davy Jones Book Card

Here's another one....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-T-206-C...item45f05b7bf5

Like Wheat, signed T206 cards of Jones are relatively -- stress relatively -- available, and Topps could have put one in its little black books, as opposed to cutting up a 3 x 5. In any event, I am now curious as to what the total checklist is for these inserts. There is at least a Cobb (by the way, does anyone have a scan of that one somewhere?), Wheat and now Jones...

Thanks.

@SignedT206
Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 AM
J0hn B@silone

from the Topps sell sheet....

Old 01-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Tony Quinn

Default Topps T206

Checklist is as follows from Topps website: Ty Cobb, Eddie Collins, Walter Johnson, Davy Jones, Nap Lajoie, Lefty Leifield, Paddy Livingstone, Tris Speaker, Ira Thomas & Zach Wheat. To my knowledge, all cards are issued as 1 of 1's I think the Wheat sold late last year for approx. $500
Old 01-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Checklist is as follows from Topps website: Ty Cobb, Eddie Collins, Walter Johnson, Davy Jones, Nap Lajoie, Lefty Leifield, Paddy Livingstone, Tris Speaker, Ira Thomas & Zach Wheat.
This is an interesting checklist of 10 players to choose from. In particular, Livingstone, Leifield and Jones are really easy to find signed items for. Similar to Larry Doyle and Fred Snodgrass in scarcity, or lack thereof. Why they didn't put a Rube Marquard or Snodgrass in this list is beyond me. Those would have probably been the easiest "books" to compile. Instead, you get Ira Thomas? He died in 1958 and is a little bit more tough to get on a 3x5. The Cobb, Collins, Johnson, Lajoie and Speaker must have been "intentional" -- at least signed 3x5s for these guys would cost you multi-hundreds. And Jones, Leifield, Livingston and Wheat are very common.

Just a somewhat strange grouping by the absence of Marquard and Snodgrass and the inclusion of Ira Thomas.

I would be interested to see the thought process that goes into making a relic subset like this. To me it seems a little like they wanted to do some big name HOFers, but then decided to fill it out with a few easy to find and randomly selected 3x5 commons.

@SignedT206
Old 01-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Tony Quinn

Default Topps T206

Quote:
I would be interested to see the thought process that goes into making a relic subset like this.
Remember, this is Topps, the inclusion of a thought process would be welcome by ALL collectors!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Don

Topps Allen & Ginter is the best modern "vintage" set in my opinion. They seem to have gotten the vintage "look" pretty close to the originals. The other sets fall short, some pretty far short.

Unfortunately though, other than the 2006 set, there aren't many retired players in the A&G sets, but they have included several Negro Leaguers the past few years. All living I think, so they can do auto's also.

The UD Masterpieces set was also very good and included many retired players. Unfortunately, they discontinued the product. Some great looking cards in that set though.

I wish they'd do an A&G HOF set, now that would be awsome.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Remember, this is Topps, the inclusion of a thought process would be welcome by ALL collectors!
Yeah, but it's a shame. They keep pumping out these faux vintage sets. And they had a decent idea here combining card with autograph in a display. But I just feel like they could have developed it a little more.

If you doing research on putting together an autographed T206 relic subset, the first thing you would learn is that Marquard died in 1980 and signed everything in sight including a slew of T206 cards. Given this, it is just surprising in my mind that they opted not to include one in this set -- or at least a 3x5 cut with the buyback T206. Ditto Snodgrass and Doyle, both of whom are also not featured here. This makes the subset sort of random, to me, which makes the subset less interesting as a collectible group.

If you gave me $500 at a decent vintage card show (or on ebay, frankly), in a couple of hours I could get you half a dozen more autographs of T206 players on 3x5s as well as their respective T206 cards -- in addition to Sno and Doyle, you'd at least get Meyers, Bush, McBride and Rucker.

Topps could have spent a couple more hours and hardly any more money and done a lot more with this subset, is all I'm saying.

@SignedT206
Old 01-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Tony Quinn

Upper Deck issued a Goodwin Champions series in 2009 which was somewhat attractive. They also had redemptions for authentic buybacks of (at least) King Kelly (SGC A), Cap Anson (SGC A) and a Jack Dempsey (PSA 4). You can see photos of those 3 cards on the Upper Deck website under Goodwin Champions and then the 411 product info option.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Tony Quinn

Quote:
Yeah, but it's a shame.
The real shame is going to local shows and 95% of the dealers (and collectors) don't have a clue who these older players are. Heck, I hear the mispronunciation of numerous current players names that anyone who watches 5 mins. of baseball would know. We all know why the card companies keep issuing Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Wagner etc. cards over and over, they sell because they are the only ones anyone knows anymore. Kids don't read the backs of cards and study stats and learn the history. They know the names by what we say or what is mentioned in passing. My son (10 yrs. old) has a phenominal modern card collection and barely knows who plays for who or at what position. That's my fault I guess but I can't force him to learn, he has to want to himself.
Sorry for the rant, that's just my opinion.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Al

I've got to throw in some props for Topps here.

My youngest son is 9. He's seen me collecting cards, but has never shown any interest whatsoever, until just recently. This past year he's gotten into baseball quite a bit, and read the book "Babe and Me" by Dan Gutman, a great book about a kid who can be transported back in time by touching a pre-1950 baseball card.

A few weeks ago he found a stash of shiny stuff that my oldest son (14) had when he was younger, but was never really intrigued by, and suddenly he decided he wanted to start collecting.

I bought him a box of 2009 Topps, and couldn't believe the stuff Topps is doing to get kids interested.

First, they have a whole internet component. In each pack of cards, there's one pack with a code number on it. You log in to ToppsTown.com and create a free account, and then you create your own avatar. Then, as you enter these code numbers, it unlocks a "virtual" binder of cards that includes stars of today, and of the past.

Then, you can use these virtual cards to play an actual game against someone else who's online. It's a simulated game, so you've got to actually choose your players based on their skill levels - so there's an incentive to get to learn who the better players are. And since they include players like Gehrig and Cobb, the kids are being introduced to the all-time greats that way.

As the kids are entering these code numbers, they're accumulating points that they can use to "buy" things for their avatar - my son bought a Yankee jersey for his, and some decorations for the avatar's "clubhouse."

If that wasn't enough, the cards themselves are pretty beautiful, and they've included some historic players in the set. THe #7 card in the set is Mickey Mantle. So when J pulled the Mantle card out of a pack, he was blown away.

But then they've got these "Legends of the Game" insert cards as well. You should have heard the gasp when he pulled a Babe Ruth card, and then said "One more, Dad, and I'll have as many Babe Ruths as you do!"

He also pulled a Cobb, a Roy Campanella, Thurman Munson, Jimmy Foxx, and Ted Williams. Each time one of those cards came out of the pack, he asked me who the player was, and what made him special enough to be included in the set.

My son sorted all 300-something cards into numerical order by himself (asking me the whole time what was the right way to do it), and then put them into a binder. That binder hasn't left his side in days.

Yesterday he dug out the "Shoeless Joe and Me" book, and then asked me if we could start watching the Ken Burns Baseball series that I have on DVD.

I've got to say that the way Topps is going about this has had a big impact on how my son's interest levels are growing. As he's getting these cards, and being exposed to these older players on the internet, he wants to learn more. It's amazing, really.

It's really easy, I think, for folks like us to sit back and criticize how the modern companies are treating the history of the game. But most of us are students of the game's history, who have been at it for years. When a 9-year-old kid opens a shiny new pack of cards, he wants Albert Pujols, or Derek Jeter. He doesn't want Lena Blackburne. So the way Topps is slowly indoctrinating these kids is, I think, fantastic.

-Al
Old 01-11-2010, 11:30 AM

I don't recall the exact brand name, put I picked up a pack of I think 2007 Topps something rather at the local drug store where the base cards were retro-1959 Topps. Not only did it have a stick of gum, but the cards were genuinely like 1950s cards, down to the 1950-style cardboard. I was impressed-- and these are the one cent base cards I'm talking about.

Last edited by drc; 01-11-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
He doesn't want Lena Blackburne.
That's another easy to find 3x5!

But your point is well taken. When my kids are a little bit older, I'll be counting on Topps to help me bring my kids up to speed on card collecting and baseball history.

@SignedT206
Old 01-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Rob Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
Topps Allen & Ginter is the best modern "vintage" set in my opinion. They seem to have gotten the vintage "look" pretty close to the originals.
I totally agree that the Topps Allen & Ginter set is the best looking modern "vintage set". I had a 2007 Tim Lincecum Topps A&G RC slabbed a 98 by SGC. The vintage look, and the way the card presents in the slab makes it one of my favorite cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
I wish they'd do an A&G HOF set, now that would be awsome.
I don't buy much modern if any at all, but that would be something I would like to see as well.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
I don't recall the exact brand name, put I picked up a pack of I think 2007 Topps something rather at the local drug store where the base cards were retro-1959 Topps. Not only did it have a stick of gum, but the cards were genuinely like 1950s cards, down to the 1950-style cardboard. I was impressed-- and these are the one cent base cards I'm talking about.
Topps Heritage. They do it every year. They started in 2001 with 1952 style and every year, do the next heritage style. 2010 will be like 1961 Topps. The 1959 would have been 2008.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:56 PM

I follow the modern baseball card hobby a bit. It seems the only products which sell are the "retro" themed and really shiny cards of high school players who were just drafted. Everything else pretty much falls by the wayside. Next month Topps is releasing "National Chicle" which has both Diamond Stars and Batter-Up designs. Heck, last year an attempt at Obak was made (a pretty pathetic one if that) by a minor manufacturer.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Don

Here's a Ruth card from the 2007 UD Masterpieces. Neat card, I think. I like Ruth's stuff when he was a Sox pitcher about 10x better than his Yankee stuff.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:32 PM

The Upper Deck Masterpieces are very nice, and very affordable baseball cards. The renditions and Hall of Fame checklist are great.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Dynarl Broughman

I love the Topps T206 cards but think they could have did a better job on the Gehrig card.

Last edited by D. Broughman; 09-19-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Pup6913

From 2009 Allen and Ginter I pulled the rarest card. First day of release I bought 2 boxes like I do every yr. This is the only modern cards I buy. I just think they are neat. I have no idea what its worth but I am sure it is a few grand or more. A&G is probably the best retro set out there IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phelps auto.jpg (77.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg phelps auto 1.jpg (74.8 KB, 57 views)