NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-11-2004, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Default Autograph Collecting - Rube Marquard

Posted By: Remaining Nameless

Greeting all, I am new to the board and have enjoyed reading through the archive of posts. I am an autograph collector with my main interests lying in the realm of deceased Hall of Famers. I am looking to network with other collectors who may be interested in having general discussion about the state of the autograph market and those looking to help out fellow collectors with regards to authenticity. I stumbled across this website while doing a but of research on Rube Marquard. Specifically I am looking to speak with anyone who ever received an IN PERSON autograph from Marquard. Also, I would give an arm and leg for pictures of him signing autographs or with a pen in his hand.

Old 11-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...but why would you want to have such stories or photographs unless you were intending to deceive others into believing your signed items to be real? It would make sense to have them for your item or for an item you were interested in purchasing. But absent that, I don't see a benevolent cause -- especially considering your request involved Rube Marquard, as opposed to Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson or Christy Mathewson, about whom the stories of obtaining a signature would be interesting to a lot of people. Marquard, on the other hand, signed autographs for the better part of his life up until his death in 1980.

Old 11-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

Old 11-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Administrator

I'd be willing to pay big money for a baseball signed by Nancy Spungen.

Old 11-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: remaining annonymous

I joined this board in the interest of networking with other SERIOUS collectors/students of autograph collecting only to find myself being mocked. Can I ask why I would be seeking a picture in order to "legitimize" some signed item that I have when you can buy a Rube Marquard 3x5 for about $12. The reason I am seeking this information is that it appears to me that Rube may have employed a ghost signer at some point in his life. Take a look at all of the Marquard 3x5s available for sale on eBay at any given time as well as those which have ended recently. You will notice about half of the signatures stand upright or have a very slight slant to the left. The others, take note, show a harsh slant to the right. This inconsistency only appears late in his life and quite honestly makes no sense at all. The ONLY logical explanation for this is that Rube signed with both his left and right hands. A check of any bio on him will show that he possesed that ability to bat both from both sides of the plate so I was wondering if anyone could recall ever seeing him sign with both hands. That is why I am seeking to gather pictures of him signing. Anyhow, thanks T206collector for making a new commer who could have contributed quite a bit of knowledge in the area of autographs feel so welcome. You seem to hold some sway on this board from what I have noticed, you may want to be a little more careful before slinging accusations.

Old 11-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

other SERIOUS collectors/students of autograph collecting only to find myself being mocked

Perhaps "remaining anonymous" isn't the best way to engage in a discussion.

Bill

Old 11-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: remaining annonymous

I am new to this board and feel that being annonymous is entirely reasonable considering what I have seen take place in other venues. If and when I feel comfortable around here I will have no qualms about my identity being known by all. Surely, you can all relate to that. I must say that the tone used by members of this board is rather harsh. I am rather surprised!

Old 11-15-2004, 01:59 PM
Administrator

I do, however, hold four Marquard autographs on T206 cards that were PSA/DNA certified (images of which I have posted on this board at least twice in the past), and I could not think of a single legitimate reason for wanting to own an image of him signing something, unless that photo depicted him signing something of yours that you still owned. The obvious (and illegitimate) reason to own such a photo would be to mislead. I reached the suspicion above based on this obvious use and the fact that you chose to remain nameless.

Old 11-15-2004, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

but I was of the opinion, when I read the post, that his inquiry had something to do with the manner in which Rube signed also. I guess I can understand the other position as well, or at least why someone might find the question unusual, but I can't presume some sinister motive just because the guy doesn't want to give us a name--besides, I though you could log in as whatever fictitious name you wanted if so inclined, or did we change that?

Old 11-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Administrator

...is what I do, too. But my name isn't "remain nameless." It just raised the second eyebrow after the first had been raised already by the question. In combination, enough to arouse a suspicion here.

Paul (aka T206Collector)