NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-15-2018, 08:35 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I also dig cards from early pioneers.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:48 PM
Bob Andrews

The raw card version of provenance is this:

IMG_0006.jpg

When I picked up my starter set to begin chasing the '58s a portion came stamped on the back by 'Ray Tisler'. I got curious and looked on one of those white pages sites and found a Ray Tisler in his 70s who lives in California. His age would fit the timeline of a kid collecting this set. I was tempted to try to reach him but thought better of it.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:32 PM
Fred

How does SGC or any other reputable TPG service verify the "provenance"? Grading is one thing - verifying provenance sounds like a totally different ball game.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
How does SGC or any other reputable TPG service verify the "provenance"? Grading is one thing - verifying provenance sounds like a totally different ball game.
I agree. Particularly if such notations on flips do become more instrumental as selling points and impact value, when submitters would have a greater incentive to misrepresent provenance, even if it were to only be slipping a few items from outside a particular collection into group of others from a famous collection. The incentive would be there, and the TPG would have no way of knowing for sure. I think this is a tricky road to go down.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
I also dig cards from early pioneers.

Another vote for a card owned by Lionel.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:07 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I love this E98 Hal Chase that Lionel once owned. It goes to show that he had some nice low grade material as well as nicer condition cards.

I'm not sure why the image is so small, sorry about that.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg e98 Chase.2.jpg (8.8 KB, 170 views)

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 09-05-2018, 02:40 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Default Provenance can matter

Provided,

1. The grading company has adequate documentation to verify the provenance, and
2. The provenance dates the card to a time there was little financial incentive to alter, and
3. (I) The person from whose collection the provenance refers to and the dealer who then sold the card were people who could be trusted not to alter, or (II) the provenance refers to a high condition find for which there was little reason to alter, then

the provenance could mean a great deal.

A poster example would be the Rosen find of high number 1952 Topps Mantles. A card from that find has a much greater chance of being in its unaltered state than any other high grade '52 Mantle. As the price differential between 8's and higher and the rest of the field continues to skyrocket, I believe in time, if not already, documented Rosen find Mantles will sell for a premium.

To the point that how does one know that the dealer who sold a prominent collection did not alter the cards, the answer is that we probably don't. As such, unless the card was sold directly by the collector, and that person was of such integrity that he/she was not the kind of person to alter cards, provenance in that case probably means little in terms of having confidence the card was not altered.

Last edited by benjulmag; 09-05-2018 at 02:53 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Corey, your post assumes people care if cards are altered. I question the extent to which that's true for many of the new generation of buyers/investors whose eyes don't seem to go below the flip, or who just assume the TPG got it right.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-05-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:53 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Corey, your post assumes people care if cards are altered. I question the extent to which that's true for many of the new generation of buyers/investors whose eyes don't seem to go below the flip, or who just assume the TPG got it right.
You could be right Peter, but ironic isn't it the notion that this new generation might not care if the card has been altered as long as the flip says what they want it to say? Wasn't the prime rationale for the creation of TPG to give collectors the needed assurance there was no monkey business going on with the cards?

It wouldn't surprise me if the next area of collectibles that explodes in value are full-production-run uncut sheets that contain HOFers. In theory they can be cut to create gem mint cards, and I'm not buying it that the process can't be done in a way to dupe the grader.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:17 AM
Peter Spaeth

Corey allegedly that was the point of TPG, but look how it started, with ASA and then with PSA slabbing the Wagner. The Harris Collection. I could go on. PSA has commoditized the flip. It's marketing genius even if it doesn't sit well with old timers/purists.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-05-2018 at 09:19 AM.