NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Shappe error

Posted By: CN

What is the real story behind this card? There has been one on E-Bay first listed as a BIN for $6000 and then relisted for $3999. I waited until the auction was over before posting but is this really considered a true variation and if yes is it worth such a high price? CN

Old 08-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: rob

There are a few generally accepted variations to the t206 set. Most notably are the Shappe, Nodgrass, and M'urray. The specualted reason for the errors are printing plate mishaps that allowed for a group of cards to be printed with minor errors. Mine is the one for sale and is currently on the b/s/t, so I will not comment on price. A M'urray variation went for $7500 in the last REA, it was an SGC 50. I think of the 3, the Shappe is the most "common", however. All of them are quite difficult to find in any condition.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve yawitz

I really couldn't tell you how the hobby generally defines true variation, but I consider the card a printing anomaly of which multiple copies were produced, which I suppose makes it a variation. That said, I don't find the card terribly interesting and certainly do not attach that kind of premium to it. I suspect fewer and fewer others do in light of Kevin's/onlychild's demonstrations of cardboard alchemy.

http://imageevent.com/yawie99

Old 08-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Well, I owned this card at one time. I am pretty confident that $3000-$4000 is not out of left field on this variation. When I listed it orginally on the B/S/T I did recieve a cash offer in that range...plus a couple different trade offers which amounted to about that amount.

When I sold the card, the buyer preffered that it be in an SGC holder...which was fine. To me, it may make a bit of a difference if it were in a PSA holder...the original cash offer I received was based on if I would get the card in a PSA holder.

But yes...my belief is that there are buyers for this card in this range easily. Just my own two cents..but there are more crazy T206 collectors invovled with PSA than SGC...many more there that like to show they carry a big stick....so my assumption would be it may be easier to sell that way. But, the card is a solid SGC 40....and it has an EPDG back which I haven't seen any other Shappe variation with that back.

So to conclude, Rob is a good guy and will move this card at some point for the price he is asking. It may be on the B/S/T where someone realizes what this is...or ebay..or an auction house.

Edited to add: If it were me...I'd wait a few weeks, even a couple months as of now..then stick it on ebay at 99 cents..but with a reserve as to what I'd take bottom line for it. My own experience I've had better success listing at 99 cents and getting people interested from the start (that way some of them get competitive by the end of the auction) then I have when listing for a higher starting bid. But again, that's just me and by no means am I an expert

Old 08-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Sacuier

hummm...choices, choices.

Kevin Saucier

Old 08-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach S.

Is that the Kevin Saucier variation?

Old 08-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Heres a question ive always wondered. What makes one of these variations worth so much yet one we have talked about before on here and ive seen 4(and held 2) versions of the Hemphill card missing the first H,and that card gets barely any recognition. Its no different than the other cards mentioned so what does the Hemphill card need to do to get the same recognition? Is there a person who has to legitimize the error for everyone else to care enough to pay more than a couple hundred for it?

I dont have the scans because im not on my own computer but ive seen 2 examples of one particular card missing 2 letters and one of the examples is graded which i just happen to own. It was brought up on the board about a year ago and no one really cared. I dont care either if its worth $5 or $5000 because the cards mine to keep but im sure the other board member who has the other known example wouldnt mind if suddenly shot up 50x in value because the higher up who controls the price guide decides its a legit error and assigns a catalog number with a letter next to it(such as 95-A emphill)to it and makes people want to pay a ton extra for it

Old 08-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Basically you have get SCD to recognize it as a legit variation. That's what I had to do to get the e90-3 Hofnlan variation recognized.

Jay

The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mrvster

johnny

you make some great points!!!

like i said, i own 2 hemphills half h and e...i have seen a few of them myself, so what is the actual sample size needed to be????five, ten of a production error???

i have 2 hemphills with diffrent backs(piedmont and sov.).....they must have used the same name plate which is interesting.....

does anyone else here own a hemphill half of the "h" and "e" showing ????(sorry i don't have a scanner)

love to see if there are any different backs.....

Old 08-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CN

Has this error been recognized by the mainstream collecting community or is it just a printing mistake? I would think that it would not be worth so much if it is a printing mistake but I could be wrong. $ 6000 just seems like a lot for me. CN