NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Default 20c eBay listing question

Posted By: Joe D.

I am thinking of listing a card (that I don't particularly want to part with, but would if I am convinced by the offer)....

with 20cent listing....
thinking of putting it at a high buy-it now / best offer - to see where the interest is for the item.

Or is something like that frowned upon by my fellow N54ers or vintage card collectors?

thanks.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Joe,

For 20 cents, go for it. If people aren't interested then they don't have to buy what you're selling. I'm cheap, I wait for 10 cent listing day and throw up a card that people want, but at an outrageous price. I figure if it sells then great, if it doesn't sell it will at least let people know that I have it and it might someday bring in a trade offer that works for me.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby

I don't like the .20 cent listin deal it just clogs up the system with a lot of over priced cards. So I basically page through it until I find the real auctions. If it's somethin special maybe your buyer will find it through a serch mode and you can get lucky.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Administrator

I don't expect it to get hit,

and I just didn't want to do somehing that was looked down upon by my friends at n54!

Old 06-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

That way you get both viewers of auctions and viewers of BINs. The clogging is usually done by the BINs, which can mostly be avoided by searching only in auctions.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I'm with Bobby. I love to see tons of cards on ebay in the pre-war section but the problem is 99% of the special listing day BINS are way too excessive and thus just clog up the works for the real auctions. If the sellers put reasonable BINs on these cards they could do a nice business but some of these prices are just frigging ridiculous.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I agree w/general consensus on 10c listing days getting clogged with BIN's. It's almost like that would be the worst day to try to sell something, especially if you are a lone BIN buried in the 5th page of Wheat or 707 inventory. No one will ever find it.

I don't blame the dealers for posting them, and Lord knows I wish I had the time to wade through it all because there really is some different and neat stuff listed.

But when I see the BIN icon without break for page after page, I just give up. In fact, sometimes I don't even check ebay for auctions on 10c listing day anymore - it becomes "ebay-free day".

Joann

Old 06-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

i'm with bobby, bob, and joann......when ebay does the "free bay" days, i am turned off as a buyer. and i take the half a week off as a seller.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

Joe:

I think your strategy is sound...put the card out there, see if someone bites. Be prepared to get some real low ball offers from bargain seekers if you use the "best offer" format. On the other hand if someone REALLY wants your card, they'll submit something competitive. I don't believe the idea is frowned upon by Net 54 members since so many of them post there own cards on these days. Actually, I personally like the chance to see cards for sale which may not be available at other times.

Good luck.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

These reduced liting fee days on eBay are not good if you are a seller. The last time they had 10 cent listing day I listed some modern cards. Nothing sold and there were few hits on my auctions. I put the same unsold cards in my eBay store, and 2 of the cards sold a day or so later for more than I had them listed for previously...I agree that people are either turned off or that the listings just get lost in the excess volume of listings...

Old 06-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I find the cheapo days to be very good both as buyer and seller. As buyer I often find items that are of interest to me that might not otherwise be listed or that I might not otherwise see, and as a seller I can take a flyer on listing items that I don't otherwise want to list because of the listing fees. I find most of the items I put up sell, but that may be because I am posting good stuff people seem to want. I've placed my items for the day already.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Warshawlaw,

I wish I had the same experience as you but you must list some desireable, quality stuff...which usually will sell despite the boatload of crap and overpriced stuff that gets listed...most of the cards that I want end up being listed as overpriced BIN's...

Old 06-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RayB

List it here on the B/S/T Forum for the price youre looking to get; Someone is likely to scoop it up. No listing fees
RayB

Old 06-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

Count me among those that find the listing dump specials on ebay annoying ... it's like wading through the ridiculously priced cards on Naxcom. With low/no listing fees, the 707's of the world clog the system, trolling for suckers.

Lately, the B/S/T is looking very similar to the ebay dump day specials. But that's the subject of another post ... but I will point out that here's been more than a few listings recently which did not sell, some of which were subsequently listed on ebay with no reserve and sold for way below the B/S/T price. It's almost as if the B/S/T has become a pre-market for ebay, to test the waters for the maximum the market will bear, at absolutely no cost.

Old 06-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Duncan

I personally will not even waste my time on looking on eBay during 10 and 20 cent listing weeks. Seems like every dealer puts stuff on at 2-3 times what it is worth. Then you have to look through the flood of overprices stuff just to find what you are looking for. It's not worth my time.

Jason

Old 06-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Administrator

I thought 20cent day was Friday... not Thursday -

I went to list the card on Friday, and then felt really dumb to see that I was a day late.

I will wait to the next one.

As far as B/S/T --- I would much rather send the card to someone on N54, but I am not really looking to sell it and more or less just wanted to gauge what the eBay value would be.

I bought the card on eBay for what I think was a very low price. But now, seeing that it isn't offered around (ever), and reading the SGC pop report is just 1 (my card), I thought I would throw a high buy it now with the pop-1 selling pitch, and see where the offers were for the card.

I will wait for another 10cent or 20cent listing day.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Many people, myself included, have searches with ebay that automatically churn through the crud and find items we collect. It isn't hard to set up and it greatly reduces the burden of wading thru the dump day piles.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I can't complain about dump day. I recently sold a T206 Rhoades Arm extended SGC 84 for $2000. That I tried getting $1500 for on the B/S/T thread. I think it is great for listing cards for over $100 to save the fees.

As we all might to think that alll the vintage collectors are not frquent this board, ebay still has a bigger pool of buyers.

I also agree that the B/S/T thread prices have really gotten to the top end (or above) of the market and no longer check as frquently as I use to. But hey, no fees I just feel that this group as a whole is better educated than the prices listed.

Lee