NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-08-2012, 08:09 AM

Default What Brought You To Collect Vintage?

what or who made you decide to collect vintage? what is your hobby story?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 AM
nels0n aud.et

I start collecting sport card principally hockey card in 1990 when i was 9 years old. I have always interested into history and old things since my memorie can go back in my life.

But at this time in 1990, a friend of my cousin named Luc was arround 12 years older than me and he teach me wich card i must search in the school yard. He give to me a copy of the beckett and at this time during everybody in the school yard make her effort to find beautifull goalie card with cool mask and cool picture, i make my effort to find patrick roy, mario lemieux and wayne greztky rookie card. Other kid hate the looking of these old funky opc card, he prefer the look of the nice UD goalies picture, so trade these card for UD card was easy.

It is the begining of my vintage card collecting, and now since 22 years i collect only vintage card pré 1989 and now since arround 10 years, i collect only pre-war cards.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

In 1990, I nearly stopped collecting baseball cards because there was such a large production of different sets to collect so I switched all my focus in coin collecting. At the time, I didn't know much about vintage cards and this was before the internet and I didn't feel comfortable buying something I knew little about. I got into vintage cards once message boards such as this one, was started. I've been collecting vintage ever since just because of the lesser quantity of cards available.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 AM

About ten years ago I found a framed picture of some baseball cards one of which was a player with "Frankfort" on the front of his jersey. I grew up in Frankfort, Kentucky but had never heard that they had a baseball team. After some research I found Bill Cornell who helped me get pictures of the T210-6 Frankfort players and I started collecting vintage from that point on.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:34 AM
M!ke S@il£r

i saw a T206 Cobb and a Goudey Ruth for sale at a local coin shop right after college. I couldn't afford them at the time. I had been away from cards for a few years, but I knew at that point what I wanted to collect once I had discretionary income.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Mark Fox

I was big into collecting baseball cards when I was young, from around age 9 to 15 when I started to migrate to hockey cards. My years in baseball however coincided with the hobby bubble of the late 80s and early 90s and now as we all know, most of the cards I collected as a kid are completely worthless, except for the memories.

I pursued hockey cards for a little before becoming jaded by the mind numbing number of set issues that existed and the subsequent chase cards that followed as well. I stopped collecting for a number of years as I graduated college, got married, bought a house...all those things in life that put a hold on hobbies such as collecting.

I actually bought a box of old books at a garage sale, simply for decorative purposes in my living room, to discover a stack of about 10 1953-54 Parkhurst hockey cards burried in the box in an envelope. This spured me back into collecting.

I'm a history buff and a sports history buff at that, the logical topic of my collection I decided should be what I know and love, sports history aka vintage cards.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

college roommate showed me a t206 red Cobb, I was forever changed.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:59 AM
pete ullman

I was a hardcore collector as a kid...50's-present...which was 1977-78 when I first started set collecting. I had most major cards from the late 50's -present...and while at a card show with my dad I was offered a t206 matty white cap beater for $2. I couldn't pass that up...I thought it was sooooo cool...I eventually amassed about 10 vintage cards before I sold the majority of my collection to fund a car in 1987. I got back into card collecting in college with the 90-91 upper decks and after blowing hundreds of dollars on that crap...my love for bb cards was rekindled...and since I didn't want to collect all of the cards I once had and sold off...it was vintage...and only vintage to this day!!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

A book.

I was baseball crazy around 5th grade and I got a book at a school book fair about the great pitchers, including Johnson, Mathewson and Hubbell among others. I had been collecting postwar Topps cards every year and when I read those stories I decided to get cards from the old timers. First it was the 1972 Kellogg's ATG 3-D cards from Danish-Go-Rounds [don't ask], then the 1973 Topps alltime leaders cards, then The Complete Book of Baseball Cards by Steve Clark, and finally the 1976 Topps Alltime Allstars. I got my first "real" prewar card a year later, a T206 Johnson I have to this day.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-08-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:48 AM

I started collecting stuff when I was a kid, everything from coins to baseball cards to political stuff to newspapers, and was always interested in vintage stuff. Even in non collecting eras I liked Glenn Miller and Model-A cars (in books, I didn't own one) and Laurel and Hardy films. So even when I was 7, the old had appeal to me. It only made sense that old baseball cards and memorabilia would be of interest.

Last edited by drc; 05-08-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:37 AM
pete ullman

"I was baseball crazy around 5th grade and I got a book at a school book fair about the great pitchers, including Johnson, Mathewson and Hubbell among others. I had been collecting postwar Topps cards every year and when I read those stories I decided to get cards from the old timers. First it was the 1972 Kellogg's ATG 3-D cards from Danish-Go-Rounds [don't ask], then the 1973 Topps alltime leaders cards, then The Complete Book of Baseball Cards by Steve Clark, and finally the 1976 Topps Alltime Allstars. I got my first "real" prewar card a year later, a T206 Johnson I have to this day."

Great point that had slipped my mind!!!! I had those 72' kellogs 3d all time greats too...and I remember being so intrigued by the 73' all time leader cards...AND the 76' sporting life greats cards which I'm sure helped direct me to vintage!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Barry Arnold

Default vintage

A good friend gave me the baseball cards from her great aunt's estate in
1982. I received some T206s,T210s,T205s, and T203s. After that it was all about vintage.
all the best,
barry
Old 05-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Ken McMillan

Great great uncle played center field for the Yankees, found his E121 card and decided to collect a 1921 world series subset all E121 series 120 and series 80
Old 05-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Collected cards when I was a kid in the 60's but when I went off to college, my brother sold them pay for a paint job on his Firebird. About 1985 or so, I had a client who owed me quite a bit of money. He said he as going to pay me as soon as he sold his baseball cards and memorabilia. I didn't trust the guy so I told him to bring the stuff to me and I would sell it. Turned out to be some nice T206s, Goudeys and 1920's exhibits. I held on to most of that collection and was hooked.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Steven

I just started working backwards with eras. Always collected 50's, then got older with more disposable income and the older eras started becoming available. I then found net54 and now I owe some $$$$$$$$$!
Old 05-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Alan U

Collected as a kid in the late 60's early 70's, got back into it in the early 90's when I found my 1972 Topps baseball set. Traded it for mostly Roberto Clemente cards, then started doing shows and bought my first real vintage card, a '33 yellow Ruth.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:44 PM
scott altland

I was 16 years old when I sold a run of Topps sets in 1980 at a card show in Lancaster Pa .Turned the cash around and bought T 206's.Sold and bought on and off since.
scott