NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-27-2014, 05:43 PM

Default Vintage NY Giants Baseball Pennant help

I have had this pennant in my family as long as I can remember (I am 54). Not sure how old (40s-50s) or the story behind it. Appears to be in pretty nice condition. Wondering the approximate age and value. I am looking to unload it. Thanks a bunch. I'm a new member and this is my 1st thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7513.jpg (80.5 KB, 348 views)
Old 10-27-2014, 11:02 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Default Giants pennant

Your pennant is from the 1940's. It used to be a brighter green, but has lost its luster over time and has become a little dull and faded. It also has part of the tip torn off which affects the value. In great shape I would say its worth about $150. In this condition, I would say $50-75. I'm sorry, but I'm not a buyer on this one. You may want to try posting it on the BST section and see if you get any bites. Jason
Old 10-28-2014, 04:15 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Hi, I believe this to be early 50s. Part of a series of pennants with similar designs, some of which were dated 1951. A really nice pennant IMO, with great graphic. Virtually all of these pennants were made without tassels but I own a Giants pennant like yours that has them.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:42 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I may be able to narrow it down slightly. That Giants script logo appeared around 1948 - it's on their scorecards from that season and I haven't come across an earlier dated piece using it.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:16 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Per Greg's post, it is indeed from 1951, to be specific. I have a few from this series, in which the original owner wrote the specific date of the game on the reverse tassels. All were dated 1951 on the back.

Plus, there's a set of Figural Pins (with identical team logos) from 1951.

As for the value, Jason pretty much nailed it.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by perezfan; 10-28-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:31 PM

Default Thanks.

Okay. Thanks a bunch guys. I appreciate the info on the pennant.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:22 PM

I am currently trying to complete the "series", needing the two STL teams. (I threw in a couple from other styles.) I've seen them before but they are really tough. The Red Sox have a slightly better variation that I am still seeking, and the Cubs have a neat anniversary pennant of this style. ... Seems that most other teams only have one version from this batch, the Senators are the only one I know with two.

These logos also appeared on the back of an old book, see other picture. Strangely my favorite one (Reds, see avatar) is missing, instead it's the logo that Keezer used on their Redlegs pennants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1951.jpg (13.4 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg p1951.2.jpg (20.0 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 10-29-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:19 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Interesting Greg... great picture!

Looks like the White Sox and Phillies also went with different logos on their pennants. That Phillies Mascot is pretty wild...

Here's the other version of the Red Sox Pennant from that series...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BoSox Sock.jpg (72.1 KB, 177 views)
Old 10-30-2014, 05:49 AM

Default awesome!

Mark: that's a great Red Sox pennant. Very hard to find, only saw one in, like, ten years on eBay. Those logos on the book came a little later, the Phillies Blue Jay was gone and you can see the Orioles are in existence, with a cool logo I've only seen on a 3/4 size pennant.

The Phillies have some freaky designs with quakers ... I have the one by Ad Flag that is absolutely hideous-looking, made worse by virtue of being on baby blue felt. I think Ad Flag used art-school dropouts for their pennants ....
Old 10-30-2014, 11:42 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yeah, those AdFlag Pennants can be pretty freaky. I actually like some of them, including that baby blue one. It's so bad, it's good!

Regarding Orioles' pennants with the classic Bird Mascot (aka. the Hartzell Bird, for artist Jim Hartzell)... it's always amazed me how that particular version was excluded from their pennants. You see it everywhere else (Programs, Scorecards, Artwork, Megaphones, T-shirts). But the ONLY full-sized pennant on which I've been able to find it is this rare one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Helmets 033.jpg (67.7 KB, 115 views)
Old 10-30-2014, 05:40 PM
Mike H.

I have figural Tigers and Cubs pins with the exact same designs as these pennants. I'll post pics soon.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:16 PM
Mike H.

Here are two pins I thought were from the 40s, but now I know they are from the 50s. Interesting use of the same logos as the pennant series. Anyone else have pins from this set?

Last edited by mjkm90; 10-31-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:04 PM
Jay Zimmerman

I have the Brooklyn version of the pin. Does anyone know how these pins were distributed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan_Pic0002.jpg (34.3 KB, 68 views)
Old 10-31-2014, 05:54 PM
R@nd@ll Ad@ms

Here are a few of the pins that I have:

pins1.JPG

pins2.JPG
Old 11-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Rob

That graphic appeared on an SF pennant, as well. It's a pretty rare one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2795.jpg (75.5 KB, 34 views)