NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-13-2018, 11:16 AM

Default Which card should i buy between these 3

A 1957 topps brooks robinson psa 5, 1959 topps bob gibson psa 5 or 1968 topps nolan ryan psa 4.5
Old 06-13-2018, 11:51 AM
Glyn Parson

The one you want the most. I’d probably go with the nicer card between the Gibson and the brooks.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:02 PM
Al Richter

I am a big fan of Gibson, and the 59 set was the first one I completed, but Robert just does not look right in pink. Also I have the Ryan but am not a fan of multiple player cards, even when they feature two good players. I would say Robinson from a visual standpoint. Nice card from a great set. Now if it was a 58 Robinson, that would be easy to eliminate
Old 06-13-2018, 01:42 PM

What about what the best investment?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I am a big fan of Gibson, and the 59 set was the first one I completed, but Robert just does not look right in pink. Also I have the Ryan but am not a fan of multiple player cards, even when they feature two good players. I would say Robinson from a visual standpoint. Nice card from a great set. Now if it was a 58 Robinson, that would be easy to eliminate
Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2018, 02:04 PM
Al Richter

Personally I am just a collector and would defer to others on investment advice.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:05 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

If the Gibson is centered, I’d do that. Tough to find centered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:13 PM
St@n Go.len

Ryan. More iconic. (To me)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2018, 05:29 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooksie

I’d go with the Brooks...
Old 06-13-2018, 07:24 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Even though it's a lower grade, I'd go with the Ryan RC. I've just always really liked that card. The Gibson is a very close second though for me. Unlike some, I like the pink.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 06-13-2018, 10:38 PM
Greg C

Default buy all thee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayfromphilly View Post
A 1957 topps brooks robinson psa 5, 1959 topps bob gibson psa 5 or 1968 topps nolan ryan psa 4.5

Since centering seems to be the biggest driving force behind value
these days, go with the most centered card if you still cant decide.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:00 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Looking at POP reports for a PSA 5, Brooks has 482, Gibson has 635 and Ryan has 1631.

Personally, I'd go with Brooks, then Ryan, then Gibson. Again as other posters pointed out, I'd look at the centering of the cards. With 5's, there is a wide margin for centering.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 06-16-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Looking at POP reports for a PSA 5, Brooks has 482, Gibson has 635 and Ryan has 1631.

Personally, I'd go with Brooks, then Ryan, then Gibson. Again as other posters pointed out, I'd look at the centering of the cards. With 5's, there is a wide margin for centering.
Thank you

Old 06-16-2018, 06:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Ryan is by far the most iconic of the three players. That said, none of these cards in midgrade is really something I would buy as an investment.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Personally I am just a collector and would defer to others on investment advice.
Al, please remind me the next time I have nothing to say to nonetheless post that I have nothing to say.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:02 PM
De.rek Gre.nce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
I’d go with the Brooks...
Lol who woulda thunk!

As for the OP, all are good cards, and it's tough to say as eye appeal can vary, but I'd go with the Nolan Ryan for "investment purposes." Centering is key!!
Old 06-16-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Ryan is by far the most iconic of the three players. That said, none of these cards in midgrade is really something I would buy as an investment.
I agree that ryan rookie is the best of those 3. But i totally disagree that a 4.5 is not a good investment. Yes the higher grades will go up more. But certain players will go up no matter what grade. If i had a chance at a 33 goudey ruth in a psa 1 its still a great investment. Or a playball dimaggio is a psa 1. Or a bowman mantle in a 1, or a 54 aaron in a psa 2. Certain players in vintage go up each year. Ryans rookie is one of them

Old 06-16-2018, 08:11 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Totally agree with Ray here. I'm not trying to assume Ray is in the same boat as me but we don't all have the funds to buy a high grade Ryan rookie as an investment. However we might be able to afford a midgrade example. And, like Ray said, a midgrade Ryan will still go up in value if not as much as a high grade one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayfromphilly View Post
I agree that ryan rookie is the best of those 3. But i totally disagree that a 4.5 is not a good investment. Yes the higher grades will go up more. But certain players will go up no matter what grade. If i had a chance at a 33 goudey ruth in a psa 1 its still a great investment. Or a playball dimaggio is a psa 1. Or a bowman mantle in a 1, or a 54 aaron in a psa 2. Certain players in vintage go up each year. Ryans rookie is one of them

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 06-16-2018, 08:11 PM
Al Richter

Makes one wonder why he asked
Old 06-16-2018, 08:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Indeed.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Makes one wonder why he asked
I asked for an opinion. I felt the ryan was the way to go before i asked. But wanted to make sure.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:01 PM
Johnny MaZilli

All three are fun and great to collect, I wouldn’t consider any of the three in mid grade as investment pieces.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:23 PM
Glyn Parson

Default My opinion

In mid grade all three are fairly readily available. I do not think buying a mid grade card regular issue “, non mantle 52 topps card,in this market is a good investment. It may turn out to be ok but I think there are many way more solid opportunities out there. Also comparing a mid grade 68 Ryan,a double print in a heavily produced set to,a Goudey Ruth is not a very apt comparison either. I think I’d try investing the money somewhere else,also I am not sure where you got the notion Ryan rookies go up each year as this is completely false. Again I’d buy the one I liked most in those grades as they are more collector grade than investment grade. Rising tides don’t always raise all boats despite the idea by some that it always does. Often high grade goes up while low just languishes. Demand is lowering on many collector grade cards while the supply isn’t really going anywhere but up in population. There are far more ungraded copies of these issues in the grades you are discussing than there are copies in holders. Sorry but I’m with Peter here not investment cards.

Last edited by glynparson; 06-17-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
In mid grade all three are fairly readily available. I do not think buying a mid grade card regular issue “, non mantle 52 topps card,in this market is a good investment. It may turn out to be ok but I think there are many way more solid opportunities out there. Also comparing a mid grade 68 Ryan,a double print in a heavily produced set to,a Goudey Ruth is not a very apt comparison either. I think I’d try investing the money somewhere else,also I am not sure where you got the notion Ryan rookies go up each year as this is completely false. Again I’d buy the one I liked most in those grades as they are more collector grade than investment grade. Rising tides don’t always raise all boats despite the idea by some that it always does. Often high grade goes up while low just languishes. Demand is lowering on many collector grade cards while the supply isn’t really going anywhere but up in population. There are far more ungraded copies of these issues in the grades you are discussing than there are copies in holders. Sorry but I’m with Peter here not investment cards.
Then give me examples of what we would be a better investment in mid grade. Beside mantles.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:48 PM
Al Richter

At this moment maybe Topps 1952 Bartiromes
Old 06-17-2018, 05:50 PM

I think you're right
Quote:
At this moment maybe Topps 1952 Bartiromes
Old 06-17-2018, 06:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Post-war, I don't think much of anything is a great investment in mid-grade. As was said maybe it will turn out to be, but from today's perspective I don't see it. There are some oddball issues of course in short supply but for the most part the only thing lower than the supply is the demand. Orr rookies in any grade are probably a safe bet, but of course they get pricey quickly.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-17-2018 at 06:35 PM.